Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

California's 'Lens of Equity' Could Benefit Jockeys

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...nefit-jockeys/

Excerpt:

“The other thing I believe this has to do with is about fairness and equity,” Gonzales said. Gonzales pointed out that to his understanding, neither Victor Espinoza nor Mike Smith were awarded breeding shares in American Pharoah and Justify after their respective Triple Crown championships, even though both stallions had won Grade I stakes in California along the way. “So I question that fairness,” Gonzales continued. “I believe that there's a lack of consistency. And this board, being as reform-minded as we strive to be, are always looking for disparities and things that we can fix.”

Commissioner Wendy Mitchell expressed support for the concept. “I read one press report that it's a 'radical idea,'” Mitchell said. “And I appreciate that we're making changes; this board is going in new directions that have not been seen in horse racing. And we see other states and other jurisdictions following suit.” Mitchell continued: “As far as the breeding rights for jockeys, I think [that policy] is a brilliant idea, because it goes to the 'equity lens' that every commission in the state of California is looking at policies through… It's the governor's directive. It's what everyone is talking about and what we should be looking at.” The concept of an “equity lens” has been increasingly championed over the past several years by Gov. Gavin Newsom, whose “California for All” message underscores that state government must strive to serve all citizens and advance all forms of diversity, fairness and inclusion,
especially among marginalized populations. It encompasses everything from policing to road-building to public health and housing-and now horse racing, too.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The nonsense never ends.
Both riders were paid well for their services.
End of story.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The nonsense never ends.
Both riders were paid well for their services.
End of story.
Leave it to California and the CHRB.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2022, 03:22 AM   #4
Someday Silent

I think it's not a bad idea. Trainers get stallion seasons/shares all the time. Jockeys are the ones risking life and limb every time they hit the track.

There probably should be stipulations though. Perhaps riders should be required to ride horses a certain number of races before becoming eligible for a stallion interest.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Or maybe it should remain a matter of private business decisions and not within the scope of regulatory power.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

They’ll get this done 2 days before the last track in California closes

Of all the problems California racing has…….this is what they are debating?
Old 05-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #7
Frost king

How does this help the jockeys at the lower end of the pay scale, who never get the chance to ride the top horses? The only way, they can make this stick, is in Cal-bred races, where the state offers Breeders Bonus money to the purses, and they make it a condition of entry to be eligible for the Bonus. As usual, the horsemen’s answer to everything, is take the money from Betting Public, to fix their problems. They want the money to come from non cashed tickets.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Or maybe it should remain a matter of private business decisions and not within the scope of regulatory power.

Exactly, like in any private business, the owner should decide what employee bonuses he or she hands out. Sick of everything being about race these days.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #9
BarchCapper

So are they going to restrict these races to keep out geldings?
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply