Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-06-2022, 02:02 PM   #31
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
He was able to play this long due to NFL rules.
Totally agree. I’m 59 so I remember when it was ok to crush a guy. That being said. These days, guys are bigger, stronger , faster. Defensive Lineman (pass rushers) are paid assassins within the new rules. The defensive line determines much on how these games turn out with all the passing now. He was mighty close to getting dirtied up in that game. He’s 44, his wife and kids are watching. And the preparation all season is a total grind. Tom Brady gave all and then some. I didn’t like him much , he killed us, but trying to deny what this guy did is ridiculous. He’s not just the best cause of talent , like some of these guys. That guy is a leader of men. His intelligence, dedication and determination rubbed off on the rest of the team. Plus, he didn’t make the new rules. These sports and society did. His last game wasn’t even great for him. Terrible INT and a strip sack, under duress every other play for 3 quarters. 44 yo , time to go
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #32
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
He was able to play this long due to NFL rules.

Definitely, it has slowly changed toward protecting QBs and favoring the offense since they made the head slap illegal in I believe 1977 or so. You can see pictures of guys like Sonny Jurgensen looking as dirty, bloody and battered as a linebacker.

You really just have to compare quarterbacks to their peers in the same era.
For another monkey wrench before the salary cap the top spenders like the 49ers under Eddie Debartolo's ownership were spending as much as 3x the bottom spenders. How many rings would Dan Fouts had if he had the 49ers defense of that era? Montana was great but the defense was pretty good also. How many rings would Marino have if he had a good running back, and linemen that could both run and pass block?

Tom Brady has a football I.Q. through the roof and is very disciplined, how long would he have lasted back In Sonny Jurgensen's day? He has a pretty slight build.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2022, 03:02 PM   #33
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Totally agree. I’m 59 so I remember when it was ok to crush a guy.

I am 61 and played football in High School and College. Played linebacker, when the NFL outlawed the head slap in 1977 High School and College quickly followed. That really sucked, an O-lineman could not extend his arms or he would get flagged at the time. Get some hand and forearm pads, tape them up and you have a pair of clubs to beat the big, dumb O-lineman with, who cannot fight back. Those were great times. Now O-lineman can hold and all kinds of other crap and it is within the rules, FTS.

Do note I am not posting from a biased point of view, ha,ha,ha.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 02-06-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #34
Vinnie

The Mrs. told me a couple of weeks ago that he and his wife had purchased a home recently in the Miami area. I told her as soon as she informed me of that news that he was going to soon be announcing his retirement a short time thereafter. Sure, I guess when you are rich you could easily arrange a commute of that nature, however, after all that he has accomplished in his long and illustrious career who would want to do something like that?

August Busch of Budweiser fame is a helicopter pilot and he used to commute from who knows where in either Illinois or Missouri to work by flying in to work pretty much every day. Must be something else to be in such a situation.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #35
BIG RED
Son O'War

Hey, I'll be back later and some more...
Old 03-13-2022, 07:48 PM   #36
Cuffdaddy

That did not last long.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2022, 07:49 PM   #37
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

He's BACK!

https://www.nfl.com/news/buccaneers-...eason-in-tampa
Old 03-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #38
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

"Unfinished Business"
Old 03-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #39
burnsy
self medicated

After seeing his last game . I don’t know if it’s a good idea. Tampa gotta fix that offensive line. His last game was brutal. Same with Cincinnati. Both teams got hammered by the Rams defense. The teams that put the pressure on , at his age , it’s a problem now.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply