Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-10-2022, 07:44 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

Let the Lawsuits, Testimonies, Truth-Lettings Begin

Opinion: Cleaning Out the Ole’ Muck Pit: Let the Lawsuits, Testimonies, Truth-Lettings Begin & Allow the Horseshoes To Fall Were They May

https://thepressboxlts.com/opinion-c...were-they-may/

Excerpt:

Now, for the very first time, the legal team assembled by Churchill Downs, Rankin and Carstanjen will get to depose Baffert and his entire team of assistant trainers, accountants, veterinarians, veterinarian assistants, grooms, hot walkers, night guards, public relations consultants and anyone else that they think may be able to offer some rational explanation for all the positive test results that have occurred in horses housed, cared for, treated and trained by this team. Past. And. Present.

See, when you work for a company that is valued at $8 to $9 billion dollars, you can afford to hire the very best in the legal land to represent your interests and to protect your company’s massive investment in brand and name credibility.

And, I suspect that Churchill Downs’ legal team is developing their strategy on just who they would like to talk to, and the questions they would love to pose.

I suspect Churchill Downs is reaching out to its’ own list of medical experts, who have unquestioned credentials and credibility, to weigh in on testimony for the record.

But just in case they need a little extra help and assistance, we have thought of some questions that we would like to see raised, addressed, and answered, as well.

And, in the name of justice and full transparency for all parties concerned — which I am sure all sides would like to assure the viewing public — we offer this list of possible inquiries for public disclosure:

For the whole story click on the link. https://thepressboxlts.com/opinion-c...were-they-may/
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Interesting read.

"Ass cream" was funny once, but used too often.

Personally, I think the sarcasm (in the article) - while entertaining - detracts from the potential seriousness of the article.

All in all, a good read.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
burnsy
self medicated

In these deals it has a lot to do with the judges rules. I’m no lawyer but I sort of understand how those work from people that are lawyers. First, it will probably drag on past the Derby anyway unless Baffert can have his people push it and the judge agrees. Second, I’m almost certain Churchill will try to present a “ prior track record” which isn’t always a sure thing to allow. That the bottom line of this. They will attempt to portray him as a serial offender . Prior acts are not always allowed in. Then proving if it’s ass cream an injection or ingested becomes less important. They will also press the seriousness of this being the Derby. Which is how this blew up like it did.

Last edited by burnsy; 03-10-2022 at 08:25 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Interesting read.

Personally, I think the sarcasm (in the article) - while entertaining - detracts from the potential seriousness of the article.

All in all, a good read.
The Author is extremely loyal to Churchill Downs so there's that. I agree with most of what he says. No doubt in my mind that Baffert will make a fool of himself in depositions where unlike softball interviews he'll have to answer tough questions.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
In these deals it has a lot to do with the judges rules. I’m no lawyer but I sort of understand how those work from people that are lawyers.
I, too, got my Living Room Lawyer degree from watching crime dramas.
(Really just kidding you.)
(But not for me.)
(I also am an Amateur Doctor from watching Grey's Anatomy.)
(But seriously, folks...)
Quote:
The Author is extremely loyal to Churchill Downs so there's that. I agree with most of what he says. No doubt in my mind that Baffert will make a fool of himself in depositions where unlike softball interviews he'll have to answer tough questions.
I can easily accept your assessment.

I know nothing of the personalities involved - other than the obvious: Baffert is VERY pro-Baffert and has a resources as well.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Interesting read.

All in all, a good read.
I seem to remember a corollary to the old Johnny Carson "If they buy the premise they'll buy the bit" line about jokes. It's "Don't do more than 3 jokes on the same premise." I'd think that would apply even more so to the same joke!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
dilanesp

It's definitely true that with respect to the merits of this litigation, Baffert is going to be exposed to extensive discovery. No way is any judge going to rule his actual medication practices irrelevant in discovery. At best, Baffert might be able to get a protective order where Churchill gets to see it but the world does not.

I can't imagine Baffert wants to go through that. I assume what he is really angling for is a quick injunction pre-discovery thar will allow him to try to run in this year's Derby. Because actually litigating this case is going to give Churchill a ton of information about his actual practices and he can't want that
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
cant u just plead the 5th?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 04:00 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
cant u just plead the 5th?
Pleading the 5th (1) only works when you face a criminal accusation, (2) results in a negative inference in the civil suit (essentially, Baffert loses), and (3) can defeated by immunity, i.e., if prosecutors promise not to prosecute, Baffert can be compelled to answer questions under oath about all of his activities.

So no, Baffert won't plead the 5th, at least unless he has given up on getting entries to the Derby and is just trying to avoid prison.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Pleading the 5th (1) only works when you face a criminal accusation, (2) results in a negative inference in the civil suit (essentially, Baffert loses), and (3) can defeated by immunity, i.e., if prosecutors promise not to prosecute, Baffert can be compelled to answer questions under oath about all of his activities.

So no, Baffert won't plead the 5th, at least unless he has given up on getting entries to the Derby and is just trying to avoid prison.
Attorneys can only prep him so much. In the heat of the questioning he will lose it. The average person has a tough time in depositions even with the truth on their side let alone an egomaniac who doesn't have the truth on his side.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #11
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
This wait could be worth it.
Considering how the racing industry has been less than transparent for decades, I'm dubious of lawyers, lawsuits, testimonies and depositions causing truth to be unleashed for a change.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #12
jay68802

Doubt any of this will be made public.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Considering how the racing industry has been less than transparent for decades, I'm dubious of lawyers, lawsuits, testimonies and depositions causing truth to be unleashed for a change.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Less than transparent?
SUPERMAN has less trouble through LEAD!
Old 03-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #14
dontbet chalks

I'm not a T-bred guy, so a question for all who are.

Do you believe Baffert is and has always been a Juicer????

Thanks
dontbet chalks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2022, 12:26 PM   #15
comet52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbet chalks View Post
I'm not a T-bred guy, so a question for all who are.

Do you believe Baffert is and has always been a Juicer????

Thanks

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-12-2022 at 01:23 PM.
comet52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply