Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-30-2022, 11:47 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

Feels like exaggerated misplaced uproar here...

DQ him from the contest. He 'tried to do too much'.

This wasn't some attempt at 'cheating' or 'pulling something off'. At least that's how I see it.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:52 PM   #17
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Kinchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Feels like exaggerated misplaced uproar here...

DQ him from the contest. He 'tried to do too much'.

This wasn't some attempt at 'cheating' or 'pulling something off'. At least that's how I see it.
We'll wait and see what the NTRA will announce tomorrow morning....This is not a "minor" infraction.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 12:42 AM   #18
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Rather ironic. He and his partner Peter Fornatale accused me of cheating in the BCBC a few years back. It was PROVEN I did NOTHING wrong and finished 7th in the contest.

Karma is a bitch!
That's why you are Vic Stauffer...and he is a Moron.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:33 AM   #19
SandyW

If anybody should know the rules it should be him. Jonathan made a bad choice and being disqualified was just punishment. I just can't understand why he went this route, has he not heard of television.
What is the big deal that you have to be at the track to watch a race when there was giant prize money available in this once a year NHC that you waited all year to play in.
Hard to believe anyone could make this choice between the two.
Jonathan not a bad handicapper and tournament player gave up two chances in the NHC to watch a race in person does not make sense.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 07:54 AM   #20
geroge.burns99
Veteran

I'd like to congrats several HTR Users that attend these contests on a regular basis...

Several cashed 5 figure prizes , along with Sally Goodall who finished 6th and cashed $70,000 !!!!

In the many years on this board and being a member of a few software providers here , I've never seen such a consistent group of winners that came from one commercial software...

Mike
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 08:23 AM   #21
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
If anybody should know the rules it should be him. Jonathan made a bad choice and being disqualified was just punishment. I just can't understand why he went this route, has he not heard of television.
What is the big deal that you have to be at the track to watch a race when there was giant prize money available in this once a year NHC that you waited all year to play in.
Hard to believe anyone could make this choice between the two.
Jonathan not a bad handicapper and tournament player gave up two chances in the NHC to watch a race in person does not make sense.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 09:05 AM   #22
Andy Asaro

NTRA Statement On First Ever Disqualification at the NTRA National Horseplayers Championship

Las Vegas, Nevada, January 31, 2022: The National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) issued the following statement after its first ever disqualification during the National Horseplayers Championship (NHC) which took place this weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“The NTRA disqualified a player from the 2022 NHC for violating the official rules. One of the violated rules states, “All wagers must be placed personally, and in-person, by the Contest Player.” The disqualified player was not present at Bally’s during the NHC tournament and his contest wagers were being submitted on-site by an intermediary without authorization. No authorization was given to the player to leave Bally’s or the State; he violated both. The rules of the NHC are clearly outlined and all participants are required to sign them prior to the tournament.”

NTRA President and CEO Tom Rooney said, “The rules are clear that participants must be onsite to participate in the NHC. The NHC is the world’s most prestigious handicapping tournament. The integrity of the event is of paramount importance—not just to us but to the thousands of men and women who attempt to qualify and play each and every year. The NTRA will staunchly and steadfastly follow the rules and defend the integrity of this prestigious event and it’s participants.”
Old 01-31-2022, 09:37 AM   #23
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
NTRA Statement On First Ever Disqualification at the NTRA National Horseplayers Championship

Las Vegas, Nevada, January 31, 2022: The National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) issued the following statement after its first ever disqualification during the National Horseplayers Championship (NHC) which took place this weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“The NTRA disqualified a player from the 2022 NHC for violating the official rules. One of the violated rules states, “All wagers must be placed personally, and in-person, by the Contest Player.” The disqualified player was not present at Bally’s during the NHC tournament and his contest wagers were being submitted on-site by an intermediary without authorization. No authorization was given to the player to leave Bally’s or the State; he violated both. The rules of the NHC are clearly outlined and all participants are required to sign them prior to the tournament.”

NTRA President and CEO Tom Rooney said, “The rules are clear that participants must be onsite to participate in the NHC. The NHC is the world’s most prestigious handicapping tournament. The integrity of the event is of paramount importance—not just to us but to the thousands of men and women who attempt to qualify and play each and every year. The NTRA will staunchly and steadfastly follow the rules and defend the integrity of this prestigious event and it’s participants.”
Did he accept the decision or is he fighting it?
Old 01-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
We'll wait and see what the NTRA will announce tomorrow morning....This is not a "minor" infraction.

Glad they disqualified him, and glad they are enforcing the rules of the contest. A lot of players enter and dream into that contest and it is a big deal.

The overreaction part was in regards to some of the social media stuff that I've seen attacking his livelihood and his character. I get that horseplayers are a frank and unforgiving lot (there's probably not a jockey or trainer who's job hasn't been called out in remark). I also get that content providers depend on drumming up the most reactions and engagements.

I feel like Kinchen tried to do too much here. I'm not a contest player or expert. I am also not a Kinchen expert, nor do I have inside information on this mistake. From what I've read it seems like a clear-cut 'DQ', but I don't think of the guy as some really dumb, really criminal person who got 'caught' trying to put over a robbery while (I think he was 'working' the Pegasus as part of the coverage, I didn't watch the coverage through Fox/Network TV) attending the big event in Florida.

Also not a disagreement to Vic, whom I noticed had replied just before I commented on the new page. I actually back Vic 100% here. It is ironic/BS that they gave him crap over the situation a few years ago, and then tried to overstep the rules here today. AFAIK Vic was 100% right about that situation then, and I think I supported him that day. Seems like team-Kinchen was as committed and paranoid about the letter of the rule at different points, but now that the situation presented itself felt free to play the other side of the coin. Just happened to reply following Vic, and my reply is geared toward Kinchen's livelihood and general character, not towards the Vic controversy, or towards this DQ.

It's fair to ask whether it would do the sport better to promote some of the big names with an attendance allowance. Doesn't make this rule violation any less if they move in that direction. Also may be a terrible idea that cheapens the integrity of one of the things that players still enter albeit a long shot, they at least expect a somewhat fair deal. The integrity of the contest seems to be an ongoing issue.

Congrats to the actual winner David Harrison. He deserves at least a line on this atrocity of a blog post
Old 01-31-2022, 11:11 AM   #25
BarchCapper

I found it interesting that in this age of all kinds of handicapping tools (software, sheets) used by so many of us, that both Kevin Costello (winner of the NHC Tour) and David Harrison, when asked what tools they used to handicap, both said printed PPs = pen & paper.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 01-31-2022 at 11:13 AM.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 11:15 AM   #26
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I found it interesting that in this age of all kinds of handicapping tools (software, sheets) used by so many of us, that both Kevin Costello (winner of the NHC Tour) and David Harrison, when asked what tools they used to handicap, both said printed PPs = pen & paper.
There are a few of those left.....
Old 01-31-2022, 11:21 AM   #27
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Did he accept the decision or is he fighting it?
He's active on social media but isn't really answering any questions. So far he said he just left period
Old 01-31-2022, 11:24 AM   #28
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
He's active on social media but isn't really answering any questions. So far he said he just left period
He did mention something about doing a podcast about it in one tweet.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 12:22 PM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 12:35 PM   #30
Andy Asaro

Don't know if this is enough once some of the details come out.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: