Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #31
MonmouthParkJoe

Really bright group there at NYRA.

We should all support what they are doing
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #32
classhandicapper

I have no idea how these guys operate. I have a question.

Setting aside betting volume, if I was willing to hire someone or had the technological expertise myself to develop software to create an odds line, look at all the betting pools, try to find the best available values, and batch submit hundreds or even thousands of bets would I be allowed to do it?

Other than expertise, what gives these teams the ability to do what they are doing?

Is it simply going to a track and saying I promise my handle will be x millions of dollars if you give me greater access?
Old 02-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I have no idea how these guys operate. I have a question.

Setting aside betting volume, if I was willing to hire someone or had the technological expertise myself to develop software to create an odds line, look at all the betting pools, try to find the best available values, and batch submit hundreds or even thousands of bets would I be allowed to do it?

Other than expertise, what gives these teams the ability to do what they are doing?

Is it simply going to a track and saying I promise my handle will be x millions of dollars if you give me greater access?

I'm also ignorant of this stuff.

I'm guessing (be cool if someone corrects me), that if you can generate the handle, you can be your own ADW. Batch, or not.

If you can't generate that level of handle, I'm guessing you have yet some possibility, of taking your 'Tech' to a 'hub' (a syndicate who gets their own 'ADW' access, and happens to welcome your technology applications) and contributing your slice.
The 'handle', is always going to be part of the equation that takes it from theory to execution (again, feel free to correct me if there are public ADWs where I can batch $100, or a $1000 a year on the ponies...).
Old 02-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I thought Oaklawn led the way on getting rid of these discounts a few years back? Didn’t the Computer guys then stop playing Oaklawn?

I know Tampa Bay let them run amok at a huge discount at one time.......
I think they cut off the ADWs that gave the big rebates, yes. So they had no real way to play profitably.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #35
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Seems like the easier solution would be to close the window to ADW’s that are handing out rebates to NYRA tracks, it’s always a bit more effective to attack the root cause of the problem
I don't have the numbers so I can't be specific, and this comment is not specific to NYRA, but based on how much money is bet off track, wouldn't doing this pretty much destroy handle? Racing is way too dependent on this money to cut it off all at once. We got to this position over a long period of time, and I don't think there's a quick, broad solution to the problem.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 01:36 PM   #36
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I don't have the numbers so I can't be specific, and this comment is not specific to NYRA, but based on how much money is bet off track, wouldn't doing this pretty much destroy handle? Racing is way too dependent on this money to cut it off all at once. We got to this position over a long period of time, and I don't think there's a quick, broad solution to the problem.
Handle numbers are borderline irrelevant imo when you have so many hands in the cookie jar on ADW handle. The only reason that rebates can exist in the first place from an ADW is due to the takeout being split up so many different ways from the couch betting crowd
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #37
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Handle numbers are borderline irrelevant imo when you have so many hands in the cookie jar on ADW handle. The only reason that rebates can exist in the first place from an ADW is due to the takeout being split up so many different ways from the couch betting crowd
To me, rebates are far and away the biggest issue for serious players.

I have accounts with virtually everyone for various reasons, but whoever gives me the best deal gets most of my handle. Like I said previously, I understand the idea of giving bigger rebates to the highest volume customers to encourage even higher volume, but that's where the major problem is located. The smartest guys with the best handicapping and technology skills are getting an added bonus which encourages more volume and thus more efficient and tougher markets.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-08-2021 at 02:26 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply