Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-12-2020, 12:17 AM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Lulz

Sorry...I'm too jaded to give two shits at this point.

I'm glad the cheaters got caught. But you know what? People have been talking about JUICERS since I got into this game 30+ years ago....and they'll still be talking about them 30 years down the road, if we don't all die from coronavirus first...

Point being, there will always be cheaters in this game...always has been...always will be.

I guarantee you there are cheaters right now in precious HONG KONG as well. I would stake my life on it...

People need to start thinking for themselves and not living in some other person's fairy tale (or horror story...both are equally bad in the long term).

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-12-2020 at 12:21 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:21 AM   #32
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Lulz
Lolz indeed.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:22 AM   #33
The_Turf_Monster

Let's hope we can get this under control quickly. You've already got the NBA and (my assumption) soon the NHL suspending its season. I'm sure baseball won't be far behind with some kind of plan. The triple crown will have to run before empty grandstands for liability purposes if that's the case......so basically your normal day at any track
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:28 AM   #34
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMasterT View Post
Lolz indeed.
You missed the rest...I've added
Old 03-12-2020, 12:31 AM   #35
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
150,000, or whatever the real number is, people at the Derby seems less than optimal. They canceled SxSW yesterday. Any possibility that the TC may be affected?
The reason why SxsW was canceled was bc no insurance company in their right mind would insure against the virus. It's why music festivals won't happen. None of them. I don't know about sporting events but it's likely the same reason.

I find it strange that Madison Square Garden is still having concerts though. (Went to see the remaining allman brothers last night) Did I catch the virus? dunno yet... hope not!

I AM a betting man... and it's likely we're going to hit a standstill really quick. Very doubtful the derby happens.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:39 AM   #36
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Lulz

I'm glad the cheaters got caught. But you know what? People have been talking about JUICERS since I got into this game 30+ years ago....and they'll still be talking about them 30 years down the road, if we don't all die from coronavirus first...

Point being, there will always be cheaters in this game...always has been...always will be.

I guarantee you there are cheaters right now in precious HONG KONG as well. I would stake my life on it...

People need to start thinking for themselves and not living in some other person's fairy tale (or horror story...both are equally bad in the long term).
Anywhere that there is multi-million dollars involved there are going to be cheaters. I could give two shits about Hong Kong. I've never owned horses personally, but I know people who have and I have been around the stables with the horses and trainers. The owners I know were above board and had trainers (not super trainers) that looked out for the best interest of the horses. It was basically a breakeven endeavor for all involved but fun non the less. The issue I have is that these guys were competing with these unscrupulous types with two hands tied behind their backs. I'm from the Midwest, and one of the owners I know bought a horse from the west coast and it arrived and could barely walk let alone run a race. The horse had EPO and was so drugged in its previous races just to compete. The owner I know (not rich at all) did everything in their power to give the horse a comfortable life and let it retire to pasture. $10,000 down the drain for no benefit for their own. Are you in a position to do that? If not, then get off your high horse.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 AM   #37
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Anywhere that there is multi-million dollars involved there are going to be cheaters. I could give two shits about Hong Kong. I've never owned horses personally, but I know people who have and I have been around the stables with the horses and trainers. The owners I know were above board and had trainers (not super trainers) that looked out for the best interest of the horses. It was basically a breakeven endeavor for all involved but fun non the less. The issue I have is that these guys were competing with these unscrupulous types with two hands tied behind their backs. I'm from the Midwest, and one of the owners I know bought a horse from the west coast and it arrived and could barely walk let alone run a race. The horse had EPO and was so drugged in its previous races just to compete. The owner I know (not rich at all) did everything in their power to give the horse a comfortable life and let it retire to pasture. $10,000 down the drain for no benefit for their own. Are you in a position to do that? If not, then get off your high horse.
EPM
Old 03-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #38
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Lulz

A rather sad attitude for the bloke who manages this forum.

Quote:

Hardly a constructive point of view for those who love the game. There is no sensible reason we have to tolerate today's cheating.

Quote:

A bad bet. There may very well be cheaters in Hong Kong, but the racing there is much, much cleaner than here in North America. And I would be my life on that.

Quote:

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but it sums up the worst post I've ever read from you. Your attitude seems to indicate you've tossed in the towel, and you'll just live with the corruption that permeates the game. If that's the case, we'd all be better off for you to turn the reins over to someone with a bit more optimism, 'cause you're past being constructive.

In short, what the game needs now is some courageous leadership - punish the cheaters, ban race day meds, clean up the game, reduce takeouts and give owners and players more breaks. Subscribing to the attitude of "it's always going to be like this" only leads to end of racing.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 01:51 AM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
If not, then get off your high horse.
Pretty sure I'm not the one on the high horse.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:53 AM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
In short, what the game needs now is some courageous leadership - punish the cheaters, ban race day meds, clean up the game, reduce takeouts and give owners and players more breaks. Subscribing to the attitude of "it's always going to be like this" only leads to end of racing.

You're living in a fairy tale if you think what's happened will do anything to eliminate cheating in some massive way.

Will it curtail the activity for some period of time? Of course.

Will it change human nature?

Never.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:55 AM   #41
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
A bad bet. There may very well be cheaters in Hong Kong, but the racing there is much, much cleaner than here in North America. And I would be my life on that.
So it's your belief that undetectable meds only work on horses racing in the USA?
Old 03-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119 View Post
Would racing live without the triple crown?
If the TC is anything like last years total sham, who cares?

Unless you are drunk who likes big hats.

Ky Derby has no credibility IMHO - they FAILED to protect the betting public.

What is their Action Plan to protect it this time around?
Anyone got a link to that?

SHUT UP AND BET!
Old 03-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Pretty sure I'm not the one on the high horse.
"High" horse......LULZ!
Old 03-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #44
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
They canceled the upcoming Indian Wells tennis tournament due to the virus. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not taking any chances I don't have to take. It just isn't worth it. I doubt I'll go to Thunder games either.
This certainly turned out to be the right call last night LOL.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #45
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Churchill Downs Incorporated (“CDI”) (Nasdaq: CHDN) announced today that the Jeff Ruby Steaks race at Turfway Park will run as scheduled this Saturday, March 14. However, amid public health concerns regarding COVID-19, all remaining races of the track’s Winter/Spring Meet through March 28, including the Jeff Ruby Steaks race this Saturday, will be conducted spectator-free with only essential staff, horsemen, owners, limited friends and family and media in attendance.

Preparations to host Kentucky Derby 146 on the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs are still moving forward. With the event still seven weeks away, a decision will be made closer to that date, with respect to postponing the event until later in the year, using the most recent information while working with and seeking guidance from public health experts and authorities.

Source: CDI
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply