Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #151
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I'd love to hear your answer as to what tax reform bill should be signed.

We'll add roughly $10 trillion in debt over the next 10 years if we don't change anything, much less add any tax cuts. Both Bush and Obama doubled the debt during their terms. This is a drop in the bucket of what they left behind.

Are you saying we should simply keep the status quo, don't give anybody any tax relief, and keep adding to the National Debt as we keep kicking the can down to the road for everybody that isn't a Baby Boomer to pay for?
If you don't think this is kicking the can you're delusional.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #152
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Libs are the ones who want every freebie conceivable, so no lib should ever complain about the debt.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #153
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Proper steps would be to revamp Social Security and Medicare... something this president says is off the table despite being GOP platform back in 2010 when the grand bargain talks were happening.
I'm very glad to see that entitlement programs are on your list of the cutting table.

Problem is, there isn't a Congress-person that can run on a platform of entitlement cuts and get elected, much less a President. Our elders simply won't vote for the betterment of people after them. Even my parents that I love and cherish will vote against anybody that will change funding for SS or Medicare/Medicaid.

Thus, I'm sure the next move would be to cut defense spending which would put our country at serious risk since we have been involved in military actions around the world since WWII, and are the "world's keeper".

Those are the biggest buckets to cut, and the ones that have to be cut if we are ever to balance a budget and start paying back our ridiculous debt. Which sword do we fall upon?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #154
lamboguy

i think this is a great plan and this is why. every plan whether it comes from a republican or democrat always favors the very rich. this one favors the rich and it also puts us in debt even bigger than what it is.

when you can't pay $20 trillion already, why not increase what you owe, it really doesn't make any difference and it pushes the inevitable down the road. when that day comes its not going to make any difference what you owe.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #155
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
I exactly said it was kicking the can down the road in my 4 sentence response. What Bizarro-world did I just enter?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #156
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I exactly said it was kicking the can down the road in my 4 sentence response. What Bizarro-world did I just enter?
Sorry for the misunderstanding but yes we shouldn't give ANY form of tax relief if we can't find revenue neutral ways to offset it. I'm even okay with a little deficit spending what I'm not okay with is continuing to mortgage the future.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #157
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding but yes we shouldn't give ANY form of tax relief if we can't find revenue neutral ways to offset it. I'm even okay with a little deficit spending what I'm not okay with is continuing to mortgage the future.
Never heard of economy growth?
Old 12-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #158
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I read that if our economy grows one half of one percent over the next ten years, it makes this bill revenue neutral.

If that’s the case, why not take the "loan" it’s a very cheap rate
Old 12-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #159
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I read that if our economy grows one half of one percent over the next ten years, it makes this bill revenue neutral.

I agree that economy growth results in more rev for the gov. The problem though with long term forecasts are the politicians who don't give us that full term. If a Dem beats Trump in 3 years, he'll immediately go for a tax increase (on the rich and evil corporations!).
Old 12-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #160
elysiantraveller

Quote:

Source?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #161
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I agree that economy growth results in more rev for the gov. The problem though with long term forecasts are the politicians who don't give us that full term. If a Dem beats Trump in 3 years, he'll immediately go for a tax increase (on the rich and evil corporations!).

Nah corporate tax rate will stay low. They are the largest campaign donors. Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor of lowering the corporate tax rate. I'm not in favor of a cut and spend government.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #162
zico20

Quote:
To use your own word this statement is disingenuous at best. We didn't "give" Iran anything other than their own money back which we froze.

Secondly, the "Obama and democrats did it so why can't I" argument doesn't hold water with me.
Just to set the record straight, we did not owe the current Iranian government one damn cent. The money you are referring to was under a different regime. Once they overthrew the Shah, our obligations to them was over.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #163
elysiantraveller

Quote:

That's before increased military spending, Trumps infrastructure spending, and of course... THE WALL.

The guy hasn't spent any money... yet... this will grow the debt rapidly.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #164
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Just to set the record straight, we did not owe the current Iranian government one damn cent. The money you are referring to was under a different regime. Once they overthrew the Shah, our obligations to them was over.
How does that not make it disingenuous to say we gave Iran money when the discussion is revolving around the US National Deficit. They are so unrelated even bringing it up is laughable and a complete misdirection attempt.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #165
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
That's before increased military spending, Trumps infrastructure spending, and of course... THE WALL.

The guy hasn't spent any money... yet... this will grow the debt rapidly.
Our infrastructure is shit, our military has to keep up so we don't get nuked, much less save the world, and The Wall would save Kate.

Where are you suggesting we cut?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: