Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #376
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I uprooted myself and moved to a place where I have all the gambling opportunities that I want...without having to bear the thought that I am looked upon as a "degenerate loser" by the industry that I've been faithfully supporting for more years than I'd care to admit. No...I'm no Buddha, Socrates or Plato...nor am I a particularly "principled" person. I've just had enough, that's all...and decided to turn my back on the "dying game", in order to pursue the "live ones". The horsemen go where the most money is...and so do I.
I freely admit I haven't been able to make it as a winning horseplayer. I know something about handicapping, but not enough obviously.

But if I was able to make decent scratch playing the horses, I wouldn't quit and certainly wouldn't quit to go to Las Vegas and gamble.on other things. I think PA is right.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #377
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I freely admit I haven't been able to make it as a winning horseplayer. I know something about handicapping, but not enough obviously.

But if I was able to make decent scratch playing the horses, I wouldn't quit and certainly wouldn't quit to go to Las Vegas and gamble.on other things. I think PA is right.
Things aren't as "black-and-white" as you paint them. If PA is "right"...does that make me "wrong"? There is no "right" or 'wrong' when it comes to matters of personal preference. We all do what we feel is right...for us. If the game, as it's currently been run, is a better fit for you and PA...then more power to you. Me...I have no tolerance for the short fields that I find on the weekdays...and I have better things to do on my weekends. We all survey our particular skills, and make our gambling choices accordingly...and for me, the choice was obvious. It isn't really about "decent scratch". To me...it's about how you feel as you are earning it. And I feel a lot better with what I am doing now.

Of course, your opinion may vary...and that's fine.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #378
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

There is no right or wrong when it's a matter of personal choice.

Skalos is tired of a number of things, not all having to do with money, like the treatment of the LA horses (and others who are cast aside by the industry). He may claim to not act on principle yet it looks to me that the industry's problems are causing him to lose his passion.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #379
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
NOBODY who is winning at this game would or should ever stop. I can't see that happening in a million years. But who knows. Maybe you're the next buddha or socrates or plato (name your enlightened being) who is truly better than us all.

I know I wouldn't stop solely on principle if I were winning.

I guess I have no principle, despite being a "splendid one to behold"
So if you were an insurance adjuster making money (winning) would you ever retire from your job? Some people treat gambling just like a job, I know I did. Being a winning gambler does not come without costs, the biggest being the time commitment. There comes a time for some people when winning isn't worth all the costs. I didn't stop solely on principle but it certainly was a big part of the cost equation.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #380
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who watches the watchers...?

I know the plan that my friends always advise me to adopt:
"Bolt her in, constrain her!"
But who can watch
the watchmen?
They keep quiet about the girl's
secrets and get her as their payment;
everyone hushes it up.
* Oxoniensis *
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2018, 04:03 AM   #381
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I think you're losing it, quite honestly.

Both those horses (if everything you say is true), were entered in that race SOLELY TO **** UP THE CHANCES OF SOME OTHER HORSE.

PERIOD.

END OF STORY.

You can go on and on with your fantasy about Noble Indy somehow wiring the Belmont, but (like you said in another thread), if you're a handicapper worth two shits, you know that is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN IN ONE MILLION RUNNINGS OF THE RACE.

And horses GO WIDE every SINGLE DAY. Riders also INTENTIONALLY float the competition out if they get a chance. It's called RACE RIDING and it's been a part of the game since forever (just ask Cordero). Jeez.

So stop it, please, with the nonsense and fantasy world scenarios.

Both parties are EQUALLY AT FAULT. To say one was worse than the other is an insult to any semblance of intelligence.
Re-read what I wrote. Focus on the clarity, thoughtfulness and logical-based rationale used. Then re-read whatever this verbal vomit is. You'll be red-faced.

Not sure why you always try to incite some reaction. Maybe it is what keeps people engaged in the banter. You clearly can't mean what you say, but to be honest, I can't get through the sludge of words, with all caps, fragmented thoughts and downright silliness, in order to even comprehend what argument you're trying to make.

You're smarter than to think anything I wrote is wrong.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #382
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
No, my friend...I prefer to give my business to those who don't insult me. There is more than one way to make money in the gambling arena. Why should I patronize a game whose hosts consider me a "thief"?
You take one anonymous comment on a largely anonymous message board, and since it confirms your bias, you run with it.

I have worked at several tracks in several capacities for over 30 years, dealing with management, stewards and race office staff, owners and trainers, and of course the customers, and I have Never Ever heard a similar disparaging comment about bettors as a group. Just because some guy in California may have said something some time ago doesn't make it true. But it props up your cynicism, so I don't suppose there's any way I could convince you to think otherwise. But you are completely wrong if you believe this anonymous comment reflects the average, the par, the usual and customary attitudes of the "industry leaders."
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #383
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
You take one anonymous comment on a largely anonymous message board, and since it confirms your bias, you run with it.

I have worked at several tracks in several capacities for over 30 years, dealing with management, stewards and race office staff, owners and trainers, and of course the customers, and I have Never Ever heard a similar disparaging comment about bettors as a group. Just because some guy in California may have said something some time ago doesn't make it true. But it props up your cynicism, so I don't suppose there's any way I could convince you to think otherwise. But you are completely wrong if you believe this anonymous comment reflects the average, the par, the usual and customary attitudes of the "industry leaders."
Jeff Platt, Dave Schwartz and Andy Asaro have all stated at different times that they have first-hand experience witnessing this anti-customer sentiment within the "industry"...something that I myself have seen in my own dealings within the game. Trainers Jeff Mullins and Bob Baffert have also expressed the exact same anti-customer attitude in live interviews...which have already been discussed here in the past. But now, I also see the dissentingly reassuring opinion of a totally anonymous 'insider', who has never ONCE voiced a critical opinion here against the horse racing industry...no matter what the topic of discussion has been. Gee...I wonder whose opinion I should place more credence in.

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-22-2018 at 01:05 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #384
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
You're smarter than to think anything I wrote is wrong.
Obviously not, considering you took the time to critique my writing style...I'm pretty sure it was easy to understand just what I was getting at nevertheless.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #385
johnhannibalsmith

My favorite line in the whole thread:

Last edited by Denny; 06-13-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added cursing

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #386
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post

Good catch.

And cartoon cursing at that.

@#&!*
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #387
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post

Good eye!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #388
Bluto Blutarsky

in the New York Post-

Mike Repole, after never getting the investigation he urged, declined further comment on the Belmont. He responded to an interview request by emailing, “Justify is a great horse. He did something very few did in winning the Triple Crown. Amazing but short career.”

NBC analyst Randy Moss, though, joined Repole in questioning the integrity of the Belmont.

“I don’t think it taints Justify necessarily, but a lot of what went down in the Belmont Stakes bothered me,” Moss told The Post on Wednesday.

He noted that WinStar Farm, Justify’s majority owner, also partnered with Repole on Noble Indy. He raised the prospect that the massive financial benefit WinStar stood to gain from a Triple Crown might explain why Noble Indy, who had previously demonstrated high cruising speed, was handled in a manner contrary to Repole’s wishes.

“It bothered me that Javier Castellano apparently chose not to ride to the instructions that Mike Repole was adamant about with the understanding, of course, that Repole is only a 50 percent owner and WinStar is the other 50 percent,” Moss said.

Moss agreed with Repole that Restoring Hope “was apparently intended to be used as sort of a blocking back for Justify.”

The analyst was quick to add, “I don’t think anyone, even in hindsight, could look at the Belmont and say that if Noble Indy had been ridden differently that Justify would not have won, given the way he ran in the Kentucky Derby. But it certainly would have made his task more difficult. I think WinStar knew that, and I think Bob Baffert knew that.”
Bluto Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #389
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Compared to the Stars and Stripes Massacre (Dwyer) this is a big nothing.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #390
Bluto Blutarsky

It takes a big nothing to know a big nothing

Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 07-27-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Bluto Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: