Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

What handicapping info do you want, but can't get?

Front bandages are an 'equipment' change, much like first time blinkers. Tracks announce first time blinkers, and first time geldings, but they don't announce when a horse will be making an equipment change with front bandages. Bandages on or bandages off is something that players want to know.

Claim info. I'd like to know how many claims are entered on that horse dropping from 30k to 10k. Wouldnt' you?

Shoe info. I'd love to know if a horse is getting some kind of shoe change.

The funny thing about the blinker change is that its a particular equipment change you theoretically don't need from them, its a change you can see yourself. Of course, you would have to watch tapes and take notes on which horses wore blinkers, but its theoretically a change you don't need them to tell you because you can find it out yourself with diligent work. Not so with bandages, shoes or claims.

Bandage changes and shoe changes are something you won't know unless they tell you. If you're betting a DD or a pick anything, you are betting some races blind without seeing the horses on the track, i'd suggest tracks require trainers to list a bandage change at entry time. If they don't know whether or not a horse is going to have a bandage change at entry time, they can always announce this at the morning scratch time and this can be listed as a late equipment change.

Is there any other information that tracks can give the players that you want but currently aren't 'allowed' to know?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

Not that the information isn't possible to unearth, but it's close enough to nearly impossible if you don't buy on-track programs: Cornell Collar.

Equipment sold as medical apparatus that is indicated for specific medical conditions and generally requires veterinary/regulatory approval to be used on a horse - but yet, most people in the paddock would be hard pressed to notice/recognize it and most data sources don't report it as equipment in any meaningful way.

I don't believe that it is approved for use in all jurisdictions, which only makes the problem worse. Furthermore, even if you are fortunate enough to have the program that lists a horse as using it, there is no distinction that I am aware of to discern if today is the first or fourteenth time it has been used. Beyond that, there's no way to grasp if those fourteen times have been successive or spread out over twenty-six starts, which makes any knowledge gleaned from such information unreliable at best.

Pet peeve #812.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
Tuffmug
I just lost by THIS MUCH!

1/ List of ALL medications and "food suppliments" given last 30 days
2/ Name of Vet
3/ Weight of the horse today and weight at each start
4/ Daily gallop and work log for each horse like they have in Japan and Hong Kong

Last edited by Tuffmug; 03-05-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Tuffmug is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Coleman

OK, this is related to harness racing (hide the children!) , which for some reason I experiment with occasionally, the worse for me. But inevitably I determine that a horse is superior in every applicable way, and the it breaks stride leaving the gate. But stride-breaking stats by horse or trainer or driver (and yes it happens more with some than others), try finding that.
Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
jorcus

In some countries they publish the weight of the horses themselves. Horses can lose a lot of weight after a race. It would be interesting to see if that was a good indicator of form.
jorcus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
illinoisbred

Cornell Collar usage info would be good-can't always tell from the video feeds. Published dates of Hyperbaric Chamber sessions would be great, and all chambers used on horses in training/racing should be on track grounds/property with usage monitored and logged. Any horses coming from training or layup centers that have such devices should be barred from the entry box for at least 7 days.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
stu

How about heart rate of the horse druing races/works?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
misscashalot

Back in the dark ages I saw Tim The Tiger come to the Belmont walking ring as a 2 yr old firster with a Florida type erection and romp. He went on to be amongst the top of his class. Yep, I'd like to see an erection notation for all whole colts and horses. a simple or would do.

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffmug
2/ Name of Vet
I agree 100%
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
DJofSD
Screw PC

Tongue ties.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Is there any other information that tracks can give the players that you want but currently aren't 'allowed' to know?
more of a pp vendor issue, but trainer stats specific to horse's last start too.

example: for a 2nd time starter, you'll see 2nd time starter stats. in this situation i'd like to see the trainer's 1st time starter stats also.

same thing with layoffs and trainer changes.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
jimk849

First-time gelding. Must scratch if not in pp's prior to start, not announced three minutes to post like in Chicago. For some horses it's the biggest equiptment change they will ever have.
jimk849 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffmug
2/ Name of Vet
4/ Daily gallop and work log for each horse like they have in Japan and Hong Kong
Great point. I don't know why they can't make the horse weight available. How much longer would it take to weigh the horses? 2 minutes.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Great point. I don't know why they can't make the horse weight available. How much longer would it take to weigh the horses? 2 minutes.
I wonder how much those scales cost.

Do you expect the horse's current weight to be announced prior to today's race?

Don't get me wrong, I know this information is available over seas (Hong Kong) but I don't think we'll ever see it here in the U. S.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Front bandages are an 'equipment' change, much like first time blinkers. Tracks announce first time blinkers, and first time geldings, but they don't announce when a horse will be making an equipment change with front bandages. Bandages on or bandages off is something that players want to know.Claim info. I'd like to know how many claims are entered on that horse dropping from 30k to 10k. Wouldnt' you?

Shoe info. I'd love to know if a horse is getting some kind of shoe change.

The funny thing about the blinker change is that its a particular equipment change you theoretically don't need from them, its a change you can see yourself. Of course, you would have to watch tapes and take notes on which horses wore blinkers, but its theoretically a change you don't need them to tell you because you can find it out yourself with diligent work. Not so with bandages, shoes or claims.

Bandage changes and shoe changes are something you won't know unless they tell you. If you're betting a DD or a pick anything, you are betting some races blind without seeing the horses on the track, i'd suggest tracks require trainers to list a bandage change at entry time. If they don't know whether or not a horse is going to have a bandage change at entry time, they can always announce this at the morning scratch time and this can be listed as a late equipment change.

Front bandages are noted in the DRF (back bandages aren't relevant). Watch the post parade and you'll know if there's a change.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply