Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Much better?
Really?
The Betting Public is like a turkey. Most of the time they do really well.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
pandy

Sarge gave that 1 horse in 6th at S.A. as his Play of the Day, so people see things differently.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
ultracapper

Miller did take advantage of the waiver rule also. That makes a difference if you're trying to get into his head a bit. He didn't want to risk him after all.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Miller did take advantage of the waiver rule also. That makes a difference if you're trying to get into his head a bit. He didn't want to risk him after all.
Yes, that was one of the reasons why Sarge liked the horse. As a former trainer, he saw how Miller was using the rules to his advantage.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #20
lamboguy

i'd love to know how you even know who the favorite is in the race before the horse's cross the finish line.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
Robert Fischer
clean money

"African Vultures Don’t Follow Migratory Herds: Scavenger Habitat Use Is Not Mediated by Prey Abundance

Abstract
if vultures select areas where mortality rates are greatest then we expect vultures to select the driest regions, where animals are more likely to die of starvation, and to be attracted to migratory wildebeest only during the dry season when wildebeest mortality is greatest.
..."

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0083470
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #22
fmolf

keep in mind that false or not, favorites lose 2 of every 3 races....I like to use the race summary from Brisnet. on the top of the first section they give the % of winning favorites for that class of race.Become familiar with it and you'll find that the public missreads certain types of races more often than others.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
traynor

One of the interesting aspects of favorites--and indirectly of the wisdom of crowds--is that much betting behavior may be mindless following by many bettors of the leads of others.

Without going into a great deal of boring detail, the accuracy of selecting winners that go off as favorites may have much more to do with the accuracy of morning line prognosticators at various tracks than anything remotely resembling "the wisdom of crowds." When appropriately layered, there is a definite correlation between the accuracy of the ("public") morning line(s) available at a given track, and the number of "winning favorites" at that track.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #24
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
"African Vultures Don’t Follow Migratory Herds: Scavenger Habitat Use Is Not Mediated by Prey Abundance

Abstract
if vultures select areas where mortality rates are greatest then we expect vultures to select the driest regions, where animals are more likely to die of starvation, and to be attracted to migratory wildebeest only during the dry season when wildebeest mortality is greatest.
..."

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0083470
Play into the smallest pools?
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #25
Magister Ludi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i'd love to know how you even know who the favorite is in the race before the horse's cross the finish line.
Betfair.
Magister Ludi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #26
Errol

No,No,No,No,No

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
keep in mind that false or not, favorites lose 2 of every 3 races....I like to use the race summary from Brisnet. on the top of the first section they give the % of winning favorites for that class of race.Become familiar with it and you'll find that the public missreads certain types of races more often than others.
************************************************** ***********************************
The favourite loses 66%. Barring an unforeseen accident that scramble the race.

The public made it the favourite but the 2nd or 3rd choice should have been,

Has anyone done a workup up that say's the losing favourite almost always has X factor in it's PP's.

Just 1, 2 or 3 factors that could reliably keep you from betting 5%, 6% or more of the losing Post Time Favourite and, well this game would be a little easier.

Another way to look at it:
I've selected so & so in the the third and it turns up as the third choice on the odds board. Now I check the favourite and see 1 or 2 factors that say "Pass this race cause you're gonna lose". I pass the race, the favourite wins and I'm ahead.

Or:
Those factors say this favourite has an excellent chance of losing. So I make my bet knowing that my chances are a little better.

Right now I'm using the odds board, but I feel there's a better way????????????

Vaya Con Dios
Errol
Errol is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #27
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
One of the interesting aspects of favorites--and indirectly of the wisdom of crowds--is that much betting behavior may be mindless following by many bettors of the leads of others.

Without going into a great deal of boring detail, the accuracy of selecting winners that go off as favorites may have much more to do with the accuracy of morning line prognosticators at various tracks than anything remotely resembling "the wisdom of crowds." When appropriately layered, there is a definite correlation between the accuracy of the ("public") morning line(s) available at a given track, and the number of "winning favorites" at that track.
Spot on.

I remember a thread a few months ago where someone was touting how they only bet Chalk and were ahead as a lifetime bettor because of it.
No sport in that for me. I like Overlays and finding value in potential longshots.

Yet, I can't say I have NOT been influenced by other bettors and handicappers in the "crowd". Seldom, but it has happened. In fact it MAY have just happened at the Belmont Stakes. And luckily for me, it worked out just dandy.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #28
kaif the mad

If you only bet favorites and are a lifetime winner, then you ARE betting overlays. There's no way around that. It's just that you're identifying 8-5 horses that should be even money instead of 4-1 shots that should be 3-1 or 10-1 shots that deserve 8-1.

Personally, I don't give a rip where my edge is. Favorites there is less variance, more reliance on accuracy (being off by 1 or 2 % winners there is a killer). Longshots require less precision (when you're betting at 10-1 you don't care if the horse's true chance of winning is 15% or 16%, you're going to bet anyway).

Throw out underlays. Sometimes that's favorites, sometimes midrange, many times longshots. That's more important.
kaif the mad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #29
shouldacoulda

Isn't that one of the commandments for racing? Thou shalt not honor false favorites. The trick is spotting one.

Personally I could care less what the public thinks. I've seen enough 7-5 favorites stink up the track to not pay attention to what the public thinks. On the other hand, I have seen plenty of 3-2 favorites look like and perform like a total overlay. 150% return on your "investment" is nothing to snicker about. I tend to shy away from favorites in general. Sometimes much to my chagrin.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #30
thaskalos

It is possible to take an underlaid favorite...and create a profitable situation around him.