Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #46
limit2

Actually you can separate the contenders with a little bit more surgery by looking at the potency of the post time odds. Break down into 3 categories as 50%, 100% and 200% premiums. Let us use as an illustration a 6:1 and a 15:1 ML. 6:1 goes to 12:1 and 15:1 goes to 25:1. The choice here is the 6:1 since it doubled and the 15:1 did not.
limit2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #47
Light
Veteran

Aren't you changing your own rules now with your above statement ^^^^. I'm not knocking you for it. I think it does need tweaking and certainly is not for the faint of heart because any way you slice it, the hit rate will be way too low for most to take. Certainly for me. I do like it's contrarian approach, because mostly we are told to "follow the money".

The reason I was interested in your system is because back in the day, one system that was huge with me for awhile was the opposite of your system.Take 6:1 and up and focus on horses getting bet down from their ML. It definitely had it moments and I would sometimes do exacta boxes with multiple qualifiers in the same race and get nice scores. It had more of a hit rate than yours. Smaller payouts, but still usually double digits. The problem I see in both methods is that there is too much left to the wind and not enough control by the handicapper. Of course when the handicapper tries to take control he may not fare much better if he uses general handicapping principles.

I think the solution is to get your system qualifiers and then apply those qualifiers to an angle or angles you know has a positive ROI. You may end up tossing winners here and there, but in the end you will not be betting random losers with no shot and should be in the black if your final filter is a good one.

Last edited by Light; 04-21-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply