Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
No, not really...like any course it can at times but generally leading it tough. Outside posts have an edge too.
Not exactly true According to Brisnet posts 1-3 are winning @ 12% & posts 8+ @ 15%
Not a huge difference
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Not exactly true According to Brisnet posts 1-3 are winning @ 12% & posts 8+ @ 15%
Not a huge difference
It is true, winning percentage alone without considering field size and ROI is usually not very telling of anything. Think of it this way, the 1 horse may be facing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. other horses. The 10 horse is always facing at least 9 others, often more. So outside posts should always win less by win% than inside posts. The fact the outer posts are winning at a higher percentage says a lot.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It is true, winning percentage alone without considering field size and ROI is usually not very telling of anything. Think of it this way, the 1 horse may be facing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. other horses. The 10 horse is always facing at least 9 others, often more. So outside posts should always win less by win% than inside posts. The fact the outer posts are winning at a higher percentage says a lot.

The outside posts have a smaller sample which lends itself to the higher percentage being skewed, due to possibilities of chalkier horses running outside and winning versus hopeless outside longshots losing, or vice-versa. It always comes back to sufficient sample size, odds and ROI........

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 11-01-2014 at 12:53 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
The outside posts have a smaller sample which lends itself to the higher percentage being skewed, due to possibilities of chalkier horses running outside and winning versus hopeless outside longshots losing, or vice-versa. It always comes back to sufficient sample size, odds and ROI........
Yes, which is exactly what I based my comments on...IV and ROI, plus I went back 4 years. The outside has a very clear edge over the inside, one of the bigger ones you fill find in all of racing. My comments are in the latest HANA newsletter and based on all the things you mention.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
goatchaser

If your a stretch runner...and positioned nicely on the rail crossing the dirt....Seems there's always a hole on the rail as leaders drift out 90% of the time crossing turf to dirt and usually anyone who shoots for the outside can be expected to be fanned very wide turning for home.. My problem is like both running styles in this race. Hmmmm...who to pick???
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #21
davew

amazing race by Bobby's Kitten -

I can't remember a horse being last crossing the track (back by ? 10 ? ) and passing them all ...
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

One heck of a run late - I thought I was watching the new TV show The Flash!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Amen to that and something a lot of handicappers don't realize.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew

I can't remember a horse being last crossing the track (back by ? 10 ? ) and passing them all ...
Caracortado is the only one I can think of in recent memory when he won the G3 Daytona Stakes:

http://youtu.be/MHykGWth_eQ
Psychotic Parakeet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew

Visually, I thought he was out of it.
He generally races near the pace.