Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 05:15 AM   #1
Half Smoke

good race - bad race - good race - bad race - good race - bad race

I know you guys have seen this pattern in some horses - it pops up fairly often

the horse cannot put 2 good races back to back - he will only run well after a poor outing - and he will run poorly after a good outing

what do you make of this?

do you think it's a random thing?

it almost looks like the horse has an attitude - that he is saying to the trainer - "I'm not going to run hard every time you want me to"

and very interesting to me - if you see this pattern would you bet this horse immediately following a race where he has run well? basically speculating that the pattern shown is meaningless

or would you fade him speculating that the pattern is real?

thanks

Last edited by Half Smoke; 08-23-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

the horse cannot put 2 good races back to back - he will only run well after a poor outing - and he will run poorly after a good outing

it almost looks like the horse has an attitude - that he is saying to the trainer - "I'm not going to run hard every time you want me to"

and very interesting to me - if you see this pattern would you bet this horse immediately following a race where he has run well? basically speculating that the pattern shown is meaningless

thanks
its certainly possible a horse has a pattern but I am dubious without more analysis of a horses pp's.

Now with such spacing in racing its not like the horse could possible be lacking recovery time. I would suspect its more coincidence with other factors.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
castaway01

A lot of cheaper horses are inconsistent. They need things to fall into place to run their best, and that doesn't happen very often. If it's really a situation where the horse is good, bad, good, bad...well, I haven't seen too many that literally fall into that pattern with no other explanation. In the days when horses ran more, trainers would wait for the right spot before going all out. I'm not saying that doesn't happen at all in 2020 but if you're running a five-race season there aren't going to be many tune-ups in there.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
stuball

patterns

Some of this is due to placement. some trainers run the horses at the level where they can compete because the owners don't worry about being claimed.
small time owners want to keep their horse so the trainer is forced to keep the horse a bit above their level because there are very few horses that can't win. Almost any horse can win if they are placed properly.
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
A lot of cheaper horses are inconsistent.

I thought this too
I would guess many do

I had an idea about betting against faves in cheap claiming races

before betting I tracked the results of faves in a couple hundred cheap claiming races

I found they won about as often as faves do generally - right around 33%

so much for my idea - it got 86ed

Old 08-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

thanks
If the horse tells me through its past performances that it doesn't feel like running two good races in a row...then I'm obligated to listen and structure my wagers accordingly.