Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #61
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
Jay, your last sentence is like hitting a nail with a sledgehammer!!! Industry Officials/Regulators DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE BETTING PUBLIC!!! Their every action/inaction shows they are beholden to "industry people". I suppose it has always been this way to some extent but now it is almost like it is done brazenly and with a high degree of hubris. Medication issues off-track...drag feet/kick the can down the road. Tilted playing field with rebates/CRW teams? Their shortsightedness sees this as "good business". Now...even on track performance/behavior by the humans involved gets treated with kid gloves. Does anybody ever ask these geniuses what their plan of action will be when "the chicks come home to roost" regarding the environment they create? It seems their every move tells the betting public "this is our world and YOU DON'T MATTER". News flash for these arrogant clowns...we all know they could care less about the droves they have driven away. When these "whales" see their opportunity dry up...they will take their piles of money to the next opportunity. They couldn't give a rat's ass about the well-being of racing...only their R.O.I. Then racing will finally have their Utopia. They won't have to answer to anybody but themselves...which is what they deserve.
I have worked in the industry for 35 years.

I've been a horse player for 40 years.

Just because people disagree with some of my takes doesn't prove I don't care.

That's total nonsense.

There are many good management people who care deeply about the best interests of horse players.

They are many regulators who have dedicated their career to insuring a level playing field.

Do we have lot's of problems? Yes of course.

Is there NOTHING being done? Of course not.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #62
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
There are many good management people who care deeply about the best interests of horse players.

Name two....
Old 09-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #63
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
These are not "occasional blunders", they are conscious decisions to wrap up on horses when he feels he can't win. And I think it is completely unrelated to his alcohol problems.
Maybe one these days the so-called handicapping geniuses will come to the realization that EVERY horse entered in a race may not in fact be there in an attempt to win it.

Besides, there could be any number of reasons why a jockey decides to give it up prematurely. They’re riding the horse and can generally sense what they’ve got under them. A riding mistake or not, how it appears to those viewing the ride may not provide a complete explanation.

I never said that the incident was related to any personal issues. I was just glad to hear that he’s so far been able to overcome a disease that permeates our society on so many levels.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #64
Elkchester Road

Quote:
I have worked in the industry for 35 years.

I've been a horse player for 40 years.

Just because people disagree with some of my takes doesn't prove I don't care.

That's total nonsense.

They are many regulators who have dedicated their career to insuring a level playing field.

Do we have lot's of problems? Yes of course.

Is there NOTHING being done? Of course not.
When it comes to this issue, Vic, nothing is being done. The fact that it keeps happening is proof. If they wanted to fix it...they could. They have free reign to...nobody would argue against it (at least publicly). Is this not big enough of an issue to merit their precious time? Arrogance.

I respect everything you have done within the business and meant nothing personal towards you when I spoke of "officials".
Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #65
jay68802

Quote:
Even if this particular incident didn't affect a bettor, the fact that officials didn't lower the boom on this behavior means similar incidents can and will occur which could affect this bettor.
Did not affect the bettor? Affected the bettors in the place, exacta, quinella, tri, and super pools. Similar incidents have happened with the same jockey in the past. Not disagreeing with what you are saying in general, but incidents like this always affect the bettor.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #66
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Name two....
Wayne Smith & Martin Panza
Old 09-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #67
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Did not affect the bettor? Affected the bettors in the place, exacta, quinella, tri, and super pools. Similar incidents have happened with the same jockey in the past. Not disagreeing with what you are saying in general, but incidents like this always affect the bettor.
Absolutely, Jay. What I was saying was if a bettor saw this happen in a race but it didn't affect his bet in the race, there can still be a lingering thought that it COULD happen to him, and possibly involve a lot of dough. I agree with you totally that these incidents always affect the bettor...even if not directly in a given instance.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #68
v j stauffer

Quote:
When it comes to this issue, Vic, nothing is being done. The fact that it keeps happening is proof. If they wanted to fix it...they could. They have free reign to...nobody would argue against it (at least publicly). Is this not big enough of an issue to merit their precious time? Arrogance.

I respect everything you have done within the business and meant nothing personal towards you when I spoke of "officials".
My license says racing official.

But no offense taken.

Where the divide exists here is people who are say the suspension that was handed out was meaningless.

When the fact of the matter is I have NEVER seen a harsher penalty for the rule infraction he was sanctioned for.

IMO the severity of the penalty is proof the regulators ARE in fact looking out for the best interests of the horse players.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #69
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Wayne Smith & Martin Panza

Martin is a personal friend you worked with at Hollywood Park, now at NYRA...

Wayne is the GM of Oaklawn...Good suck up shout-out to your boss...
Old 09-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #70
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Maybe one these days the so-called handicapping geniuses will come to the realization that EVERY horse entered in a race may not in fact be there in an attempt to win it.

Besides, there could be any number of reasons why a jockey decides to give it up prematurely. They’re riding the horse and can generally sense what they’ve got under them. A riding mistake or not, how it appears to those viewing the ride may not provide a complete explanation.

I never said that the incident was related to any personal issues. I was just glad to hear that he’s so far been able to overcome a disease that permeates our society on so many levels.
All horseplayers ask for is an honest effort by jockeys. This has been an ongoing issue for Kent for quite some time. He is the leading jockey in these types of rides by light years. There is nobody that is a close second.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #71
Elkchester Road

Quote:

But no offense taken.

Where the divide exists here is people who are say the suspension that was handed out was meaningless.

When the fact of the matter is I have NEVER seen a harsher penalty for the rule infraction he was sanctioned for.

IMO the severity of the penalty is proof the regulators ARE in fact looking out for the best interests of the horse players.
I just don't see how if the same thing happens over and over again.

The fact that you have never seen a harsher penalty, once again, means that rules/protocols for dealing with this have never been strong enough since it keeps happening.

I understand that tougher sanctions won't guarantee this ever happening again but perception, many times, is reality, and I don't believe racing is in the position to be so nonchalant about things with the current state of affairs in the gaming/gambling world.

I also realize that as more and more tracks are becoming more and more dependent on alternative revenue (slots/gaming/sports betting) this problem doesn't get better. It gets worse because less and less revenue for purses is tied to bettors...many who have fled this scene for a different pursuit. Perception...
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 AM   #72
v j stauffer

Quote:

Oh you want people that I don't like and respect?

Ok. Let me work on that.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 AM   #73
jay68802

Quote:

But no offense taken.

I do not feel the penalty was meaningless. And when I think about it, I do not remember a harsher penalty for this offense. (But age and probably a slight bias on my part, may have something to do with that) I feel that the penalty is not near harsh enough considering the amount of money that the action affected. Sort of reminds me of when the NFL was handing out $500.00 fines to players making millions.

Would you support increasing the fines and suspensions by 5x their current level, considering the fact that these issues affect hundreds of thousands of wagering dollars?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #74
v j stauffer

Quote:

Dr. Edward Allred

Dr. Rick Arthur

I don't know Dr. Allred.

Dr. Arthur I've know and admired for many years.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 09-04-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 AM   #75
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Oh you want people that I don't like and respect?

Ok. Let me work on that.

Bad pivot, I've been in the game longer than you and know more than you think.....Took me two minutes to show you "I know" your two guys.

I proved my point....No more to see here....Next.
Closed Thread