Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #46
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Disappointing the stewards didn't take action and THEN pass it down the road for possible further action. Very weak move IMO.
That IS NOT what happened. There's a new protocol for handling these type situations. It was recently explained by CHRB information director Mike Martin. The case has been given to the investigators to gather evidence. They'll present that evidence to the Steward who will ultimately decide if sanctions are warranted.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #47
airford1

Not finishing for a placing is one reason I have started to stay away from the game. Kent is the first jock to come up short in most stories.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #48
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
That IS NOT what happened. There's a new protocol for handling these type situations. It was recently explained by CHRB information director Mike Martin. The case has been given to the investigators to gather evidence. They'll present that evidence to the Steward who will ultimately decide if sanctions are warranted.
They could have ruled if they wanted to according to this BloodHorse article.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...g-case-to-chrb

When pressed about whether they could have taken action on their own, rather than forwarding the case to CHRB investigators, the stewards said it was within their power to sanction the rider.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 08-29-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #49
Elkchester Road

Quote:
You're blaming the stewards? They're the ones who initiated the complaint. And you're saying the punishment was inadequate before any is given?

Wow. Cool
I guess I could have worded it better...but I don't think anybody would argue the punishments handed to Desormeaux have been less than a deterrent to preventing this happening again. I am prepared to eat my words if a more serious punishment is handed down.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #50
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
They could have ruled if they wanted to according to this BloodHorse article.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...g-case-to-chrb

When pressed about whether they could have taken action on their own, rather than forwarding the case to CHRB investigators, the stewards said it was within their power to sanction the rider.
Right. They gave him a whip violation fine. What I commented on was CJ implying the Stewards were sweeping it under the rug and didn't want to deal with it. Which simply isn't the case.

I have a feeling they're thinking about throwing the book at him. Sending a BIG message and want to make sure no stones are left un-turned.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #51
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
I guess I could have worded it better...but I don't think anybody would argue the punishments handed to Desormeaux have been less than a deterrent to preventing this happening again. I am prepared to eat my words if a more serious punishment is handed down.
You don't have to eat your words. IMO he will be sanctioned severely.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #52
Elkchester Road

Quote:
You don't have to eat your words. IMO he will be sanctioned severely.
I hope you are right, Vic, and it isn't anything personal with Desormeaux.

I enjoy your work on TVG and at the track. I am sure the many hats you have worn in the business gives you quite a perspective.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:39 AM   #53
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Right. They gave him a whip violation fine. What I commented on was CJ implying the Stewards were sweeping it under the rug and didn't want to deal with it. Which simply isn't the case.

I have a feeling they're thinking about throwing the book at him. Sending a BIG message and want to make sure no stones are left un-turned.
I hope they do give him 30 days but the referral was seen as having the potential to be more severe. The comments from Mullins saying the Owners were pissed about it carries a lot of weight.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:11 AM   #54
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I hope they do give him 30 days but the referral was seen as having the potential to be more severe. The comments from Mullins saying the Owners were pissed about it carries a lot of weight.
Why did you Twitter block me?

I was sharing my point of view on a controversial situation.

I didn't say anything personal.

I didn't say anything inflammatory.

I thought we were moving forward with a respectful detente.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:56 AM   #55
SharpCat

At this point should Kent still have a license to ride? He has been pulling this crap for over 25 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/29/s...-standing.html
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 03:13 AM   #56
ultracapper

Been a long time since I've seen a replay of Real Quiet's Belmont. I do know he was ahead by 4 lengths at the 1/8 pole.

No, he would have never quit with the TC 200 yards away. Would he?
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #57
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Thanks, I misunderstood when I read it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #58
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

I wasn't implying they were sweeping anything under the rug. I was implying they were passing the buck.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #59
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Why did you Twitter block me?

I was sharing my point of view on a controversial situation.

I didn't say anything personal.

I didn't say anything inflammatory.

I thought we were moving forward with a respectful detente.

Would be great in the social media thread.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #60
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Been a long time since I've seen a replay of Real Quiet's Belmont. I do know he was ahead by 4 lengths at the 1/8 pole.

No, he would have never quit with the TC 200 yards away. Would he?
Actually his Belmont lose was a whole different story. If anything he was guilty of misriding the Big Sandy oval and over aggressively moved too early leaving himself with a spent horse at the finish.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply