Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
I am surprised it took this long for someone to call him out on this. He has been doing this since the 90s. I know my trainer learned her lesson not to have him on her horses a long time ago because he would just quit.
This has been a topic here many times over the years.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #32
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
I am surprised it took this long for someone to call him out on this. He has been doing this since the 90s. I know my trainer learned her lesson not to have him on her horses a long time ago because he would just quit.
I used to spray paint KENT SUCKS on fences before the internet.

I hear his name and all I think is the Triple CLOWN boy.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #33
GaryG
Unreconstructed

DEL MAR, Calif. – Del Mar’s stewards on Sunday said they have turned over to California Horse Racing Board investigators a matter involving jockey Kent Desormeaux’s ride in race 4 on Saturday aboard Take a Leap, who was caught in the last jump and finished third.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #34
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Changing the horses runnng style gets em suspended?

Shit, there would be a jock shortage here
Yes I have seen Jockeys get suspended on the spot for changing the horses usual running style.

If the Trainer/Jockey plan to change the horses usual running style they have to inform the stewards. The stewards in turn will inform the public. They realize people put there hard earned money on the line so they don't want any funny business going on.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #35
upthecreek

From Bloodhorse

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...s=mcnewsletter
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #36
JustRalph
Just another Facist

He no care........
Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #37
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
It is easy to see that the horse was responding to Desormeaux's urging. Desormeaux decided to stop urging. He will receive a punishment that is NOT a real deterrent to this behavior. That is why it HAS happened, DID happen, and WILL continue to happen. The Stewards are as big of a problem as the jockey.
You're blaming the stewards? They're the ones who initiated the complaint. And you're saying the punishment was inadequate before any is given?

Wow. Cool
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #38
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This has been a topic here many times over the years.
Yep, in fact, I'm shocked that it's been 3 years since the last real brouhaha, when Desormeaux allegedly stopped riding What A View (a subsequent Grade 1 winner) in a conditioned allowance race. The horse was nostrilized at the wire.

As reported elsewhere:

Desormeaux Draws Heat For Del Mar Ride But Stewards Issue No Sanction

Jockey Kent Desormeaux met with track stewards on Sunday to discuss one of his rides at Del Mar on Saturday.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the ride in question – which the paper said some referred to as a “non-ride” – occurred in Saturday's fourth race. Desormeaux was aboard What a View in the 1 1/16-mile turf contest, and had a clear lead on the 4-year-old gelding nearing the finish. However, jockey Brice Blanc, who was riding 42-1 outsider Professor Berns, shot through an opening on the rail and nailed Desormeaux and What a View by a nose on the wire.

It appeared to many horseplayers and racing fans that Desormeaux had stopped riding his mount a couple of strides from the wire, thinking he had the race won.

Stewards ultimately decided not to sanction Desormeaux, voting 2 to 1 in favor of the jockey. Scott Chaney was the only official who felt Desormeaux stopped riding.

“The horse is hard to ride, but for two strides he let up on his mount. Then the horse came up inside, and he got back down to salvage it,” Chaney told the Union-Tribune.

Based on the above, the debate about whether his punishment will be a deterrent or not may ultimately be moot, because there might not be any punishment at all...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #39
thaskalos

Has Desormeaux ever explained why he is so economical with his movements as he approaches the finish line?
Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #40
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
You're blaming the stewards? They're the ones who initiated the complaint. And you're saying the punishment was inadequate before any is given?

Wow. Cool
Vic, I think he's saying the CHRB/stewards have, several times in the past, called Kent D in to talk about similar incidents of not making an effort to obtain the best possible placing for his mounts by failing to ride to the wire --

And have repeatedly failed to act afterwards.

Imo, by failing to act on similar incidents in the past - the CHRB is not without responsibility.

Imo, years of failure to act by the CHRB (and most of the other regulatory bodies in North American thoroughbred horse racing for that matter) has resulted in the following message being sent to riders:

"Don't worry. We've got your back. It's perfectly ok if you want to mail it in during the final sixteenth."

I think it's time North American regulatory bodies started sending a message to riders consistent with that sent by the regulatory bodies in other parts of the world. (Hong Kong, Australia, etc.)

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-29-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #41
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Has Desormeaux ever explained why he is so economical with his movements as he approaches the finish line?

That has to be one of the best rhetorical questions ever. Love it!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #42
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Vic, I think he's saying the CHRB/stewards have, several times in the past, called Kent D in to talk about similar incidents of not making an effort to obtain the best possible placing for his mounts by failing to ride to the wire --

And have repeatedly failed to act afterwards.

Imo, by failing to act on similar incidents in the past - the CHRB is not without responsibility.

Imo, years of failure to act by the CHRB (and most of the other regulatory bodies in North American thoroughbred horse racing for that matter) has resulted in the following message being sent to riders:

"Don't worry. We've got your back. It's perfectly ok if you want to mail it in during the final sixteenth."

I think it's time North American regulatory bodies started sending a message to riders consistent with that sent by the regulatory bodies in other parts of the world. (Hong Kong, Australia, etc.)

-jp

Let's see what happens this time. I think he will be sanctioned for last week's ride. We'll see how it shakes out.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
He either is betting or he can't stay awake for two minutes.

Sounds like the stewards are kicking the can down the road.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #44
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Economical?

That’s hysterical.......
Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
He either is betting or he can't stay awake for two minutes.

Sounds like the stewards are kicking the can down the road.
Disappointing the stewards didn't take action and THEN pass it down the road for possible further action. Very weak move IMO.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: