Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I vote “present”...

The Kavanaugh vote was 50-48 to confirm him...
Senator Daines was at a wedding and did not vote..
Senator Murkowski voted “Present”...

What the heck is that...? “present”???

She was going to vote no...why didn’t she just vote no and the count would have been 50-49...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
The Kavanaugh vote was 50-48 to confirm him...
Senator Daines was at a wedding and did not vote..
Senator Murkowski voted “Present”...

What the heck is that...? “present”???

She was going to vote no...why didn’t she just vote no and the count would have been 50-49...?
They had enough votes to clear Kavanaugh by 2.

51 to 49 if Daines was present.

Since Daines was out of state attending his daughters wedding and would be a YES they basically agreed to remove a no. The reason for doing this was to preserve the "margin of victory". If a senator flipped overnight and went to a no Daines would have to leave his daughters wedding and fly home to break the tie. If TWO senators flipped and voted no the nominee would be defeated regardless of his or Murkowski's vote.

Murkowski basically just did Daines a solid so he could enjoy his daughters wedding by removing her No vote and just voting Present with him.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 10-07-2018 at 12:50 AM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 01:59 AM   #3
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
They had enough votes to clear Kavanaugh by 2.

51 to 49 if Daines was present.

Since Daines was out of state attending his daughters wedding and would be a YES they basically agreed to remove a no. The reason for doing this was to preserve the "margin of victory". If a senator flipped overnight and went to a no Daines would have to leave his daughters wedding and fly home to break the tie. If TWO senators flipped and voted no the nominee would be defeated regardless of his or Murkowski's vote.

Murkowski basically just did Daines a solid so he could enjoy his daughters wedding by removing her No vote and just voting Present with him.
So there are three options...? A YES...a NO...and a “Present”..?

So this Republican Senator, the only one to vote “no” decides to go against all the other Republicans, yet still wants her colleague to be able to attend his daughter’s wedding...? Gee, that’s swell of her...ought to help her to crawl back into the graces of her party, and at the same time she caved into Feinstein and preserves her solidarity with the nation’s liberal women...

but you know what...Daines OUGHT TO HAVE BEEN THERE...he IS representing a large number of American people, that’s HIS JOB...everyone else was there regardless of their circumstances...basically, he’s putting his private life before the interests of the Americans he represents...”sorry honey...I can’t be there...”
Old 10-07-2018, 02:14 AM   #4
elysiantraveller

Quote:

So this Republican Senator, the only one to vote “no” decides to go against all the other Republicans, yet still wants her colleague to be able to attend his daughter’s wedding...? Gee, that’s swell of her...ought to help her to crawl back into the graces of her party, and at the same time she caved into Feinstein and preserves her solidarity with the nation’s liberal women...

but you know what...Daines OUGHT TO HAVE BEEN THERE...he IS representing a large number of American people, that’s HIS JOB...everyone else was there regardless of their circumstances...basically, he’s putting his private life before the interests of the Americans he represents...”sorry honey...I can’t be there...”
I mean... it was his daughters wedding. He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

He was a yes. She was a no. They agreed to pair their votes together and cancel each other out. The calculus remains the same:

98 total votes and 50-48 vs. 100 total votes and 51-49.

If a vote flips in the 98 scenario he gets to stay at his daughters wedding and not worry about it but not the 100. If 2 votes flip it's irrelevant the nominee is defeated in either scenario.

Pence breaks ties regardless of its 50-50 or 49-49.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 10-07-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:24 AM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
I mean... it was his daughters wedding. He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

He was a yes. She was a no. They agreed to pair their votes together and cancel each other out. The calculus remains the same:

98 total votes and 50-48 vs. 100 total votes and 51-49.

If a vote flips in the 98 scenario he gets to stay at his daughters wedding and not worry about it but not the 100. If 2 votes flip it's irrelevant the nominee is defeated in either scenario.

Pence breaks ties regardless of its 50-50 or 49-49.
I get that...but that’s NOT MY POINT...what if others Senators had weddings to attend to also...or funerals...or what not...would it be acceptable for them to “ditch class” as well...? Yeah, I know it’s an isolated item but it is irritating.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #6
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I get that...but that’s NOT MY POINT...what if others Senators had weddings to attend to also...or funerals...or what not...would it be acceptable for them to “ditch class” as well...? Yeah, I know it’s an isolated item but it is irritating.
The United States Congress isn't a super adherent to Robert's rules so I'm not sure exactly how it would work. I'm sure there is some sort of quorum but...

It doesn't really matter. The whole thing came down to four or five votes anyway. In theory all the firm nays and yays could have paired up. Signed a joining agreement to vote present and then gone fishing.

The end result is the same.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
woodtoo

[QUOTE=elysiantraveller;2380919] He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

How long till your done with the new word "Boofing" its shallow.

But hey, kids will be kids.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
davew

Quote:

must be 4 options if include 'not present'
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
The Senate and the Supreme Court don't usually meet on weekends so I think Daines probably had this ridiculous idea that it would be OK to attend his daughter's wedding.

How about McConnell postponing the vote until Monday or even late Sunday?He didn't have a problem going a whole year without a judge.One day shouldn't make any difference.That Addison is such a nervous Nellie.

I just hope Daines doesn't have to pay a political price as Gomer Pyle doesn't like having his power challenged even if the outcome is positive.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
[quote=woodtoo;2380939]
Quote:
He wasn't off boofing 'skis with Bart.

How long till your done with the new word "Boofing" its shallow.

But hey, kids will be kids.
Better watch it or Judge Kav won't invite a wet blanket like you to his next kegger.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
MutuelClerk

Dump them all.

Except you guys LOVE these two parties.

Enjoy.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
The Senate and the Supreme Court don't usually meet on weekends so I think Daines probably had this ridiculous idea that it would be OK to attend his daughter's wedding.

How about McConnell postponing the vote until Monday or even late Sunday?He didn't have a problem going a whole year without a judge.One day shouldn't make any difference.That Addison is such a nervous Nellie.

I just hope Daines doesn't have to pay a political price as Gomer Pyle doesn't like having his power challenged even if the outcome is positive.
Voting on Saturday puts K on the bench when court opens on Tuesday.

Monday is a holiday.

Lots of people work weekends.
Suck to have an important job.

But see, he worked it out on his own.
Now he, too, can boof some ski's!
Old 10-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

[quote=barahona44;2380958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post

Better watch it or Judge Kav won't invite a wet blanket like you to his next kegger.
I think K will be throwing some wet blankets on some dem parties.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
iwearpurple

When Obama was a senator in Illinois, he frequently voted "present".
iwearpurple is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He had to, to get his participation trophy.