Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
ultracapper

Snow

How do you people in some of the colder regions deal with this nonsense? 8" in Seattle overnight. In my 56 years we've had maybe a half dozen episodes like this. I can't imagine dealing with it a couple times annually.

I know many people that have come and gone from here, then come back and said this is the finest place they've ever lived, mostly due to the moderate weather, and the abundance of beautiful landscape. They weren't talking about this, that's for certain. This is stupid.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
FantasticDan
gelding

And here I thought Seattleites were made of sterner stuff.. where I live in Central NY, we call 8" a "dusting"

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
thaskalos

There's nothing like an 8" snowfall, accompanied by a sub-zero wind chill...to wake up the blood.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
ultracapper

My blood isn't waking up. And a stern test around here is fitting into last year's rain gear.

I did stock up on coffee and pastries yesterday at the supermarket though, so there was a degree of readiness at the UC household.

Last edited by ultracapper; 02-09-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I live in Minnesota and am not at all a fan of winter and hoping to make this my last one, but we cope by being extremely efficient at snow removal. Really it's usually only a matter of hours before the roads are cleared. We have snow removal equipment that would not be economical for you in Seattle to buy due to the rarity of such storms.

Minnesota is noted for being a high tax state but the reality is winter is very expensive with the cost of snow removal and repairing of potholes caused by the freeze - thaw cycles.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
And here I thought Seattleites were made of sterner stuff.. where I live in Central NY, we call 8" a "dusting"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_XfLuLYElU
That was a totally accurate report. Insley calls for state of emergency. We can't make it 2 blocks without running home. A 3 degree incline leaves cars abandoned for days.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
davew

Seattle was not designed for ice or snow. The roads go the wrong directions with too much slope and traffic becomes paralyzed when snow/ice happens. The state, counties, and cities are mostly ill equipped for snow. The areas that deal with it a few times every year can handle it better than those that handle it a few times every decade.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I did stock up on coffee and pastries yesterday at the supermarket though, so there was a degree of readiness at the UC household.
Ultracapper,

This, too, shall pass. You're stocked up on the necessities, so just sit back and enjoy it. Think of the stories you will have to tell.

It seems that every city comes with its very own good news/bad news.

When we visit Seattle, Beth always says, "Whatever is brown or gray in Reno is either green or blue in Seattle."

I've read that Seattle's bad news is that the overcast days reek havoc with people who struggle with depression.

Reno is the same way. The good news is that there is low congestion, low crime, lots of inexpensive good food, and housing costs are low (relative to most of the U.S. but not to local wages).

The bad news is that wages are low, taxes are amazingly high (but no state income tax), and, in all the usual negatives of "life" we rank near the worst (i.e. smoking, bankruptcy, suicide, teen pregnancies, graduation rates - you name it).

Bad weather is something we have in common with Seattle in that it is rare. No tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Sure, we get snow, but rarely does it last for more than even a single day. We actually shoveled about 10 days ago, but, had we waited, it would have melted by the afternoon.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
Minnesota is noted for being a high tax state but the reality is winter is very expensive with the cost of snow removal and repairing of potholes caused by the freeze - thaw cycles.
Minnesota is noted for having only two seasons: winter and road repair.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Ultracapper,

This, too, shall pass. You're stocked up on the necessities, so just sit back and enjoy it. Think of the stories you will have to tell.
Coffee and pastries are luxuries. Adult beverages are necessities.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Ultracapper,

It seems that every city comes with its very own good news/bad news.

When we visit Seattle, Beth always says, "Whatever is brown or gray in Reno is either green or blue in Seattle."

I've read that Seattle's bad news is that the overcast days reek havoc with people who struggle with depression.

Reno is the same way. The good news is that there is low congestion, low crime, lots of inexpensive good food, and housing costs are low (relative to most of the U.S. but not to local wages).

The bad news is that wages are low, taxes are amazingly high (but no state income tax), and, in all the usual negatives of "life" we rank near the worst (i.e. smoking, bankruptcy, suicide, teen pregnancies, graduation rates - you name it).

Bad weather is something we have in common with Seattle in that it is rare. No tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Sure, we get snow, but rarely does it last for more than even a single day. We actually shoveled about 10 days ago, but, had we waited, it would have melted by the afternoon.
This is very true. I've been in real estate one way or another for 30+ years, and have dealt with many a client leaving town due to their inability to deal with depression. A 50 degree, overcast day here leaves a "feel" on you, and you can not shake it off. Truly, it can be tangible, an actual feel in your bones, and you can't bundle up out of it, you just have to wait for the sun to break through.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Coffee and pastries are luxuries. Adult beverages are necessities.
It doesn't take the excuse of snow to stock up on that.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
This is very true. I've been in real estate one way or another for 30+ years, and have dealt with many a client leaving town due to their inability to deal with depression. A 50 degree, overcast day here leaves a "feel" on you, and you can not shake it off. Truly, it can be tangible, an actual feel in your bones, and you can't bundle up out of it, you just have to wait for the sun to break through.
Don't forget to mention the winter 3-5 months where the typical weather pattern is overcast, drizzle in the morning, and a glimpse of the sun when it goes down. I would rather have 10 degrees and sunny than 35 degrees and damp. I am not sure if I have early or low level arthritis, but that weather makes my joints ache.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Don't forget to mention the winter 3-5 months where the typical weather pattern is overcast, drizzle in the morning, and a glimpse of the sun when it goes down. I would rather have 10 degrees and sunny than 35 degrees and damp. I am not sure if I have early or low level arthritis, but that weather makes my joints ache.
8 months of the year something is damp. Trees, grass, 75% of the time the sidewalk is wet. You're a snowbird in the making.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
8 months of the year something is damp. Trees, grass, 75% of the time the sidewalk is wet. You're a snowbird in the making.
You continually make good points... especially for relocation. LOL

Some years ago, I spent a few days with a friend who lives on Mercer Island. When I'd visited before he'd always explain how they "really don't need air conditioning" because it never gets hot there.

This particular visit was in early August. It was like 95 degrees and 90%+ humidity.

What happened to "Don't need air conditioning?" LOL
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply