Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #31
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
It's also hard to argue with with someone who says hundreds of billions of dollars of annual trade deficits is 'good' for the economy. And that came from an economist no less. Also, anyone that says that Obama's 2 per cent economy is growth versus Trump's 4 per cent GDP is simply clueless.
Trade deficits are not "evil" in a mature economy, and neither Trump nor anyone here has shown that they are. In fact, no one here opposed to trade deficits has ever given an objective explanation of why they are bad. They take it on faith that Trump is right and the rest of the world is wrong. The simple fact of real economic life is that a country like ours with a trade deficit has a capital surplus.

That means that foreign investment funds are flowing into the country, creating new jobs for Americans. It also means that Americans have more choice and more purchasing power. We have been running a trade deficit since the 1970s. If deficits are so evil, why hasn't our economy collapsed?

The idea of Obama's economy or Trump's economy is also wrong. The president does have some influence on the economy, but not nearly as much as some believe.

Quote:
Let's face it, double down on your hatred all you want, but the economy has grown and prospered, more jobs are available than available workers, and there is true change and growth -- all thanks to Trump and his policies. Despite your expert posts.
Pointing out objective problems is not hatred. Calling it hatred is a ploy to avoid thinking or talking about the realities of the economy. Show me a post of mine involving personal hatred of Trump rather than criticism of his policies.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #32
Clocker

A good non-technical article explaining why trade deficits are, and always have been, good for the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/digital.../#7c32e41e11fc

Another good article, quoting conservative and liberal economists, showing why trade deficits are good for this country.

http://www.aei.org/publication/worri...etter-america/
Old 02-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #33
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
It's also hard to argue with with someone who says hundreds of billions of dollars of annual trade deficits is 'good' for the economy. And that came from an economist no less. Also, anyone that says that Obama's 2 per cent economy is growth versus Trump's 4 per cent GDP is simply clueless.

Let's face it, double down on your hatred all you want, but the economy has grown and prospered, more jobs are available than available workers, and there is true change and growth -- all thanks to Trump and his policies. Despite your expert posts.

Snark against all Trump supporters you wish. No cares what you think. We just like reminding you and a few other Trump bashers how wrong you've been and how ignorant still are in face of proven and positive results.
Hey reckless,

Hundreds of billions of dollars of annual trade deficits is 'good' for the economy making this lady look like. . . . .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (11.5 KB, 2 views)
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #34
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Hey reckless,

Hundreds of billions of dollars of annual trade deficits is 'good' for the economy making this lady look like. . . . .
Did you read the articles cited above? Do you have any objective criticism or rebuttal of those articles, either of your own or from reputable economists?

Can you explain why decades of trade deficits have not resulted in the collapse of our economy predicted by The Donald and his fan boyz? Can you explain why after decades of trade deficits we remain the prime economy in the world, the one that people want to live in and invest in?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #35
fast4522

I did a glance, truth is anyone can post 180's of what those two portrayed. Elite always want things done the way they want, there is no room to differ with a globalist.

Last edited by fast4522; 02-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #36
Clocker

Quote:
I did a glance, truth is anyone can post 180's of what those two portrayed.
If you "did a glance", you did not understand them. Those articles I posted jive with and explain the economic history of this country. We have been running trade deficits for decades, and our economy has been growing steadily upward, with bumps because of recessions clearly not caused by trade deficits.

So please, post all the articles you can find explaining how our years and years of trade deficits have resulted in this horrible economic depression we have been experiencing these last 40 or 50 years.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #37
fast4522

First I am going to tell you that Commie China will come to the table and like it or not negotiate. Like it or not we will get something out of them that all the Presidents critics will say he was the first President who was willing to do something. Beyond that I will leave for another post because I do not know what has yet to be. Explaining anything more is going into uncharted territory, and I will like I said leave something for later. You proving a point is not as important to me as my President having a home run, you do get that don't you.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #38
Clocker

Quote:
First I am going to tell you that Commie China will come to the table and like it or not negotiate.
They will come to the table and "negotiate". How can we get a good deal if we negotiate on the belief, contrary to facts and history, that trade deficits are bad? And if the Chinese know a lot more about trade than our negotiators?

And no matter what the Chinese agree to, they will chip away at the agreement one way or another after it is done. They always do. There are lots of ways to cheat without getting caught.

Quote:
Beyond that I will leave for another post because I do not know what has yet to be. Explaining anything more is going into uncharted territory, and I will like I said leave something for later.
We have to negotiate a deal so we can see what is in it?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #39
fast4522

Look 2020 is next year, the time to negotiate is now. And like you say. . .
"And no matter what the Chinese agree to, they will chip away at the agreement one way or another after it is done."

New next big things with propriety technology can shut them out of a whole selling cycle if they cheat. But letting them do it without controls is flat out stupid. If we do not take some control back the next big thing our economy will have a smaller piece of the pie, screw them.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #40
chadk66

imagine how good the economy could have been without those trade deficits
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #41
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
Well I am more thinking about products we have yet to see, and gaining in our economy from them.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #42
Clocker

Quote:
That's all it would be, imagination.

Trade deficits for a strong economy like ours are good for consumers, improving choices and spending power, and good for business, bringing in foreign investment that creates jobs. Contrary to "common knowledge" here, most manufacturing jobs lost in this country recently were lost to automation, not to moving off-shore.

See the articles linked in Post #32 above.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #43
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
That's all it would be, imagination.

Trade deficits for a strong economy like ours are good for consumers, improving choices and spending power, and good for business, bringing in foreign investment that creates jobs. Contrary to "common knowledge" here, most manufacturing jobs lost in this country recently were lost to automation, not to moving off-shore.

See the articles linked in Post #32 above.
your blurring several things together to make a case for trade deficits. it's obvious you don't believe trade deficits in and of themselves create a good economy.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #44
Clocker

Quote:
your blurring several things together to make a case for trade deficits. it's obvious you don't believe trade deficits in and of themselves create a good economy.
No economic factor can be looked at in isolation. That's why Trump is wrong, he isn't looking at the big picture. He doesn't see the positive effects of trade deficits, like increased foreign investment in American companies, more jobs for American importers, lower prices for American consumers, etc. Yet he claims to believe in the free market.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #45
elysiantraveller

If we were to break down foreign investment on a per capita basis for every dollar a Chinese citizen receives from abroad the American gets four...

Tariff's and tariff policy hurt that investment.