Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #46
woodtoo

At $2 million per mile government has spent $6 Billion on 'sound walls' to protect homeowners from traffic noise. But spend that to protect lives and people freak out. #fakeoutrage
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #47
elysiantraveller

Another thing not being talked about is people along the border don't actually want a wall.

That is a problem. One thing the Republican Party used to respect was property rights and while people think its all good and find as long as it doesn't happen to them there will be huge backlash.

How many Ammon Bundy types spring up when Uncle Sam and the Army Corps of Engineers begins going through seizing property held by families for generations? It won't go over well.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #48
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Another thing not being talked about is people along the border don't actually want a wall.

That is a problem. One thing the Republican Party used to respect was property rights and while people think its all good and find as long as it doesn't happen to them there will be huge backlash.

How many Ammon Bundy types spring up when Uncle Sam and the Army Corps of Engineers begins going through seizing property held by families for generations? It won't go over well.
Got your new talking points delivered, riots
at the border. Government strongarms innocent farmers.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #49
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Got your new talking points delivered, riots
at the border. Government strongarms innocent farmers.
Its a certainly a legit talking point and one that hasn't been brought up in the thread yet.

I've got property that's been in my family for over 100 years... If Uncle Sam showed up to take it I'd be pissed.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #50
kingfin66
Bombardier

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I have been wondering. Does the government actually own the land (rights-of-way?) to build the wall? If not, how will that "discrepancy" be resolved. Eminent domain?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #51
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

There's really that much US population and land development at the border where this fantasy wall is hoped to be built?

Because despite ely's latest musings, I have a hard time believing it's a virtual metropolis down there...where the gov't is going to have to force millions out of their homes to build this wall.

What are we talking about here, exactly? How many houses are going to have to be plowed down? How many people will have to be bought out?

We talking hundreds? Thousands? Something tells me the number isn't very large, and it's basically a non-issue in real terms...but of course can be played and spun for political points as always.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #52
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I have been wondering. Does the government actually own the land (rights-of-way?) to build the wall? If not, how will that "discrepancy" be resolved. Eminent domain?
They would use eminent domain...

Its why the wall is tough no matter how its passed... even through congress. A lot of Judges aren't going to award it. It would stand a much better chance in the courts if it was passed by Congress than ordered through National Emergency though...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #53
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
There's really that much US population and land development at the border where this fantasy wall is hoped to be built?

Because despite ely's latest musings, I have a hard time believing it's a virtual metropolis down there...where the gov't is going to have to force millions out of their homes to build this wall.

What are we talking about here, exactly? How many houses are going to have to be plowed down? How many people will have to be bought out?

We talking hundreds? Thousands? Something tells me the number isn't very large, and it's basically a non-issue in real terms...but of course can be played and spun for political points as always.
I don't know the numbers...

I saw some reporting yesterday of one family who owns 64 acres that are being walled off on the Mexico side due to geography. They aren't happy about it.

But you're right. Even just a few people that are pissed off enough can easily draw national attention. Its a ironic flip-flop to the Bundy situation where everyone stood with them but now are like... meh...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #54
horses4courses

Useless Symbol

I'm convinced that the wall will serve no purpose
other than being a feel-good structure for both
Trump and his band of followers.

Illegal immigrants will always find a way in.
The will get under, over, and around the wall.
It's a complete waste of time and taxpayer funds.

That being said, the only way to find out
if I'm right is to build the damn thing.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #55
formula_2002
what an easy game.

I OPPOSE THE CONSTRUCTION OF A WALL ON THE SOUTHER BORDER BECAUSE I HAVE NOT SEE THE PLANS AND SPECTIFCATIONS FOR CONSTRUCTION AND I HAVE NOT COME TO UNDERSTAND ITS IMPACK ON OUR WAY OF LIFE. I HAVE LISTENED TO CNN AND FOX, READ THE CATO INSTUTE PAPER ON THE WALL AND PONDERED THIS FOR SOME TIME. I HAVE READ MUCH OF THE 2006 BILL REGARDING WALL CONSTRUCTION. AND CAN NOT "HIT THE SEND KEY"
FINALLY, YOU CAN NOT LEAVE TRUMP OUT OF THE EQUATION AND HE CUASES ME TO HAVE MUCH CONCERN FOR HIS EFFORTS TO HAVE THE WALL BUILT. SIMPLY PUT, HE IS NOT TRUST WORTHY, HIS MOTIVATIONS ARE SUSPECT. I MUST HAVE REGARD FOR HIS INPUT ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER INPUTS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED, AND I DONT TRUST IT.

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #56
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_2002 View Post
I OPPOSE THE CONSTRUCTION OF A WALL ON THE SOUTHER BORDER BECAUSE I HAVE NOT SEE THE PLANS AND SPECTIFCATIONS FOR CONSTRUCTION AND I HAVE NOT COME TO UNDERSTAND ITS IMPACK ON OUR WAY OF LIFE. I HAVE LISTENED TO CNN AND FOX, READ THE CATO INSTUTE PAPER ON THE WALL AND PONDERED THIS FOR SOME TIME. I HAVE READ MUCH OF THE 2006 BILL REGARDING WALL CONSTRUCTION. AND CAN NOT "HIT THE SEND KEY"
FINALLY, YOU CAN NOT LEAVE TRUMP OUT OF THE EQUATION AND HE CUASES ME TO HAVE MUCH CONCERN FOR HIS EFFORTS TO HAVE THE WALL BUILT. SIMPLY PUT, HE IS NOT TRUST WORTHY, HIS MOTIVATIONS ARE SUSPECT. I MUST HAVE REGARD FOR HIS INPUT ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER INPUTS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED, AND I DONT TRUST IT.

Go back and watch the video I posted. Parts of this wall are already under construction. That will answer all of your concerns regarding plans and specs.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #57
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
No Dan, in your own words. Why do YOU oppose the wall?
"To dream, the impossible dream....."
You said "his own words!"
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #58
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
I started the thread with the intent posters keep there opinions of Trump out of it. Clearly, you could not.
Was there ever any doubt?
He is trolling - that is who he is.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #59
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Answers excluding PTrump and/or costs seem to be out of the realm here.
The great brains of PA OT apparently do not the ability to follow instructions or the capability to express honest opinions based on facts and not opinions.

Not a surprise.
The have had their pants pulled down in this thread.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #60
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post

I seriously doubt that any appreciable number of US citizens along the border do not want a wall.

The US government wanted the Bundy land for uranium, not to protect its citizens. Protecting our borders is one of the very few actual responsibilities of the US government.

No land will need to be "seized" from anyone along the border. The Roosevelt Reservation of 1907 preserves 60 ft. of land along the US side of the border, it is effectively an easement.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply