Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #31
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
Indeed. Right now this is painful to watch.
I posted this comment right before Oklahoma woke up and started putting up touchdowns. In the end they did very respectably.

I still think Notre Dame shouldn't have gotten in over Georgia. Yes they were undefeated, but one has to consider the quality of the opposition. Clemson honestly would have beaten them by a lot more if Dabo Swinney hadn't chosen to put in some of his second- and third-stringers towards the end.

Last edited by Someday Silent; 01-01-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #32
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I don't as a rule bet sports, only horseracing.

But I do love and watch college f-ball and today I made two bets:

LSU over UCF
Good call!
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 03:21 AM   #33
woodbinepmi

Georgia is simply a much, much better team than Texas in a much, much tougher conference.[/QUOTE]

SEC went 1 and 3 against the Big XII in bowls. HOOK 'EM!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #34
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Welp. So much for playoff expansion.

"Deserving" teams in Georgia and UCF both lost to teams not even in the CFP committee's top 10. Both teams trailed by double digits for the majority of those contests.

#3, #4, #5, #7, #8, and #9 ranked teams all lost in the CFP or their bowl game.

#1 Alabama, #2 Clemson, #6 Ohio State, and #10 Florida were the only top 10 teams to win.

But hey, let's make these kids play another game so super fan can be entertained from his barcalounger. (And no, schools aren't risking taking away a regular season home game that brings schools in $6 - $10 million in revenue to help support other sports.)
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #35
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post

"Deserving" teams in Georgia and UCF both lost to teams not even in the CFP committee's top 10. Both teams trailed by double digits for the majority of those contests.

#1 Alabama, #2 Clemson, #6 Ohio State, and #10 Florida were the only top 10 teams to win.

But hey, let's make these kids play another game so super fan can be entertained from his barcalounger. (And no, schools aren't risking taking away a regular season home game that brings schools in $6 - $10 million in revenue to help support other sports.)
I've changed my mind about an 8 team playoff and would prefer a 16 team playoff. These bowls are so meaningless and nobody cares anymore, including many of the players. My main motivation is entertainment based. A 6 vs 11 means nothing now but would mean a lot if it's to reach the quarters. The top 2 seeds would have it easy but even this years 3rd and 4th seeds wouldn't have been locks to make it to the semis. Just more fun overall.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #36
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
I've changed my mind about an 8 team playoff and would prefer a 16 team playoff. These bowls are so meaningless and nobody cares anymore, including many of the players. My main motivation is entertainment based. A 6 vs 11 means nothing now but would mean a lot if it's to reach the quarters. The top 2 seeds would have it easy but even this years 3rd and 4th seeds wouldn't have been locks to make it to the semis. Just more fun overall.

Entertainment based?

So, you don't give a hoot about the players (just the fans?) that are playing for peanuts with millions on the line for a number of them if they get hurt? (Can't wait for a QB on a 16 seed that is a potential draft pick sitting out the 1st round so he doesn't get hurt; cause it will happen. Likely would have happened this year with Will Grier sitting out for West Virginia on the road at Alabama.)

Fans shouldn't mean a damn thing for determining who the best team is in any given year.

Every year in college football going back to the 70s, there have been 1 to 3 dominant teams in any given year. This year we have 2 that are head and shoulders above the rest and remain as the only undefeated teams in all the land. They play on Monday for the title; and deservedly so.

If you can't win your regional/conference championship, you haven't earned the right to play for a national championship.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #37
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
Good call!
Thanks but I was also dead wrong in the Sugar Bowl.

Texas was a deserving winner, for sure.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #38
ultracapper

Quote:

Lets be fair. #3, #4, and #9 all lost to higher ranked teams.

I think Georgia just crashed and burned after the SEC championship heartbreak. Couldn't blame them. Texas played OK, but on most Saturday afternoons, that Georgia team would have hit them pretty hard.

Last edited by ultracapper; 01-02-2019 at 03:57 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #39
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
Georgia is simply a much, much better team than Texas in a much, much tougher conference.

SEC went 1 and 3 against the Big XII in bowls. HOOK 'EM!
Yes, was I ever wrong in the Sugar Bowl! It wasn't a sweet game by any means.

No doubt, Texas was a very deserving winner.

I'm liking Clemson a little next week but it is so hard to go against Bama for sure.

Yet, only two coaches have beaten Nick Saban in the last few years or so -- Dabo Swinney and Greg Mahlzan. Sorry for any mispelling of the coaches' names, if so.

Last edited by reckless; 01-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #40
AndyC

Quote:

Your comments prove that it isn't so cut and dried as to which team is better than another.

An 8 team playoff requires a whopping 2 extra games to be played.

Isn't the bowl games just for entertainment now? I am sure that given a vote the players would rather go get their butts kicked by Alabama rather than play a meaningless game in front of a half-filled stadium for the benefit of ESPN.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #41
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Sugar Bowl score was a result of two things:
Georgia not wanting to be there and Texas arriving on the scene.
UGA felt as though they deserved a spot in the playoffs and the Sugar simply wasn't where they wanted to be.
Texas announced its arrival back on the scene...excellent coach who will recruit very well and a solid QB makes them a force to fear in the coming years.

As far as this season is concerned; Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders above the rest of the country. We really only needed a two team playoff this year.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #42
Fred

Why is it whenever an SEC team loses a bowl game it is because they didn't want to be there? But when Florida routs Michigan it is because the SEC is just superior to the other conferences.

You can't have it both ways with me
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #43
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Why is it whenever an SEC team loses a bowl game it is because they didn't want to be there? But when Florida routs Michigan it is because the SEC is just superior to the other conferences.

You can't have it both ways with me
When did I say that about the Florida v Michigan game?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #44
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I don't as a rule bet sports, only horseracing.

But I do love and watch college f-ball and today I made two bets:

Georgia over Texas.

Georgia is simply a much, much better team than Texas in a much, much tougher conference.
Thank god for people like you, you line my pockets and fill my heart with joy. May you all multiply in numbers by the day

I read where Georgia didn't allow more than 16 points in the first half to an SEC team in the two years Kirby smart has been there.... Yet Oklahoma and Texas had no problems doing so. Hmmmm.

Collected more money off SEC fans from lone star park today than I did on a large pick four payout (two tickets totaling over $1400). Many thanks!
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #45
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Sugar Bowl score was a result of two things:
Georgia not wanting to be there and Texas arriving on the scene.
UGA felt as though they deserved a spot in the playoffs and the Sugar simply wasn't where they wanted to be.
Texas announced its arrival back on the scene...excellent coach who will recruit very well and a solid QB makes them a force to fear in the coming years.

As far as this season is concerned; Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders above the rest of the country. We really only needed a two team playoff this year.
Disagree to an extent on UGA not wanting to be there. Texas was in the same spot in 2008 when we were robbed at a shot at the MNC and wound up going to the fiesta instead. Ohio state punched us in the mouth, Texas woke up and won the game. Same scenario last night, Georgia woke up and still weren't physically dominant. It is what it is.

Totally agree on your comment about Bama and Clemson. We're getting a true natty Monday night.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply