Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
TimesTheyRAChangin
Fast Women & Slow Horses!

Looking for laptop spec info.

I'm in the market for a laptop.Actually,I don't even need a cd/dvd reader/writer,as long as I get a minimum 15.6" screen.
What I would like to ask is:
What should I look for in ram/video/processor speed/hard drive?
My main concern is viewing live streaming of horseracing & F1.
My current pos desktop will stop in the middle of a video for rebuffering or just break up into little rectangles.
1-I've heard that too much ram is not good.
2-That the video card should not be integrated/dedicated.
3-Does the hd even matter?I have about 140 gig now,and that is more than I need.I just don't save anything,and my music doesn't take up much room,and I am moving it to a portable hd,anyways.
4-And do I need a good cpu.Like 4th gen or dual core?
Thanks for any help!!!!!
TimesTheyRAChangin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

Why 15.6 inches?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
DJofSD
Screw PC

I'm not sure you'll be able to get a laptop without the graphics adapter being integrated. The greater the price, the better the graphics processor that'll be used, and, more graphics memory.

One aspect which will need to be researched is the graphics memory. Most systems will not have dedicated memory for the GPU. The central memory will be logical partitioned where the largest partition will be for use by the operating system and the smaller part is being carved out and used for the buffers used by the GPU.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
DJofSD
Screw PC

There is more to consider with the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) than just how much you can store. There are speed considerations.

If you can get a HDD that spins at 7200 RPM, it will be a better performer. That is because most laptops and even desktops still use 5200 RPM drives.

Also, as a part of the HDD, there is what is called a cache. It is nothing more than dedicated memory to hold things as they come and go between the HDD and the rest of the PC. It makes thing go a little fast or smoother by reducing the amount of time need to wait for the disk to do things. The larger the cache the better your experience will be.

The ultimate would be a system that not only has a huge and fast HDD but would also have what is called a solid state drive. That's just a fancy term for a chunk of dedicated and very fast memory which holds a copy of the operating system and does not lose it even when the power is turned off. The most visible thing about having a solid state drive is it boot and is ready to use almost instantly. But, these things add a cost, and while they are getting cheaper, they still will add hundreds of dollars to the price.

Last edited by DJofSD; 01-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Now a days, almost any new computer will be using a microprocessor with multiple cores. Only the very bottom, entry level systems, will be using the cheapest CPUs which will not have very large caches and/or no or few cores.

Getting something that is the latest and greatest will, once again, have a price but it will "buy" you a bit of future-proofing.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
DJofSD
Screw PC

While not stated, it is implied you need to use Windows.

Opinions will vary but I'd suggest Windows 7 using 64-bits.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
TimesTheyRAChangin

What about this one?

Because of the price(under $500- CAD)I was thinking of this one,but my concern is that it might be more than I really need.

Lenovo G505 15.6" Laptop - Black (AMD A8-5550M / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8)

Energy Star

For home, school or the office, the Lenovo G505s laptop delivers solid performance and features. It's powered by an AMD A8 processor with 8GB RAM for smooth multitasking, and comes with a 1TB hard drive for storing everything you need. With an AccuType keyboard, this laptop makes it comfortable and accurate to type.

Product Features
  • 2.1GHz AMD A8-5550M processor and 8GB RAM: Power through everyday tasks, from surfing the web to watching movies to multitasking
  • 1TB hard drive: Store files, music, movies and much more
  • 15.6-inch display with 1366 x 768 resolution: See everything in HD quality when you work and play
  • WiFi connectivity: Connect to the web from your home network or any WiFi hotspot
  • HDMI and USB 3.0 ports: Plug in peripherals or connect an HD monitor or HDTV to expand your screen real estate
  • Integrated DVD-RW drive: Watch your favourite DVDs, play CDs and record content onto discs
  • AccuType keyboard: Type comfortably and accurately thanks to individual rounded keys
  • Windows 8 operating system: Enjoy reimagined features, including a personalized start screen, Live Tiles and more
  • Click on the specifications tab for more information
Specifications of Lenovo Essential G505s (59-379862) Laptop (APU Quad Core A8/ 8GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph) (Midnight Black)

In the Box Sales Package Laptop, Battery, AC Adapter, User Guide and Manuals General Brand Lenovo Model Name Essential Series G Lifestyle Gaming Color Midnight Black Part Number 59-379862 Model ID G505s/59-379862 Processor Processor APU Quad Core A8 Variant 5550M Chipset A76M Brand AMD Clock Speed 2.1 GHz with Turbo Core Technology Upto 3.1 GHz Cache 4 MB Memory Expandable Memory Upto 16 GB Memory Slots 2 (Unused Slot - 1) System Memory 8 GB DDR3 Storage RPM 5400 HDD Capacity 1 TB Optical Disk Drive Optical Drive DVD RW Drive Platform Operating System Free DOS System Architecture 64-bit Display Screen Size 15.6 inch Resolution 1366 x 768 Pixel Screen Type HD Display Graphics Dedicated Graphics Memory Type GDDR3 Dedicated Graphics Memory Capacity 2.5 GB Graphic Processor 512 MB AMD Radeon HD 8550G (Integrated) and 2 GB ATI Sunpro HD 8570 Graphics (Dedicated) Input Web Camera 0.3 Megapixel Pointer Device Elan Keyboard AccuType Keyboard Audio Speakers Yes Sound Stereo Speakers, Dolby Advanced Audio Communication Ethernet 10/1000 LAN Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g/n Bluetooth v4.0 Power Battery Backup Upto 4 hours Power Supply 65 W AC Adapter Battery Cell 4 cell Ports/Slots USB Port 1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0 Mic In Yes RJ45 LAN Yes HDMI Port Yes VGA Port Yes Multi Card Slot 2-in-1 Card Reader Machine Dimensions Weight 2.6 kg Dimension 377 x 250 x 34 mm Color Midnight Black Warranty
Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Our software is very demanding, so I am a computer performance freak.

About 18 months ago, I was working with one of our users over the web and his machine - a Toshiba latop - was keeping up with one of my faster desktop machines. I was impressed and bought one for myself. I have not been disappointed.

Requirements:

1. 6gb RAM
2. 2+ USB 3 ports
3. 18" monitor (Yes, I said 18".)

Personally, I have stopped insisting upon 7200 rpm drives. Instead, I insist upon USB 3 because I can always attach a fast drive - even SSD - if I need to.

The cost of the aforementioned machine for me was around $679.

I would think you should be able to get a pretty good machine for something like that. I highly recommend the Toshiba line.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
TimesTheyRAChangin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Requirements:

1. 6gb RAM
2. 2+ USB 3 ports
3. 18" monitor (Yes, I said 18".)

Personally, I have stopped insisting upon 7200 rpm drives. Instead, I insist upon USB 3 because I can always attach a fast drive - even SSD - if I need to.

The cost of the aforementioned machine for me was around $679.

I would think you should be able to get a pretty good machine for something like that. I highly recommend the Toshiba line.
Dave,
6 gb RAM is no problem,USB3 ports are pretty standard now,and my intention is to hook the laptop up to a large screen TV,so that's the reason for not needing anything larger than the standard 15.6".
Again,as in my original post,the video quality for live streaming the races is the most important thing.
As an aside,I had looked at Toshiba,but a notebook review site found fault with the shell being mostly plastic,and the outlets were on the right side,where the cables would interfere with someone that uses a mouse.(Like me!!)
Thanks for the info.
Barry
Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Barry,

I completely agree with that sentiment! The cables on the right are an irritation, but a small one.

The rest of that machine has pleased me immensely.

BTW, I hadn't used it in about 4-5 weeks and had accidently left it in "hibernate" mode. When I turned it on the battery was dead. Plugged it in and used it for about 30 minutes and it was 100% charged. I was surprised that it recharged so fast.

I would assume that USB3 is very standard now. A year ago, not so much.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
TimesTheyRAChangin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Barry,

I completely agree with that sentiment! The cables on the right are an irritation, but a small one.

The rest of that machine has pleased me immensely.

BTW, I hadn't used it in about 4-5 weeks and had accidently left it in "hibernate" mode. When I turned it on the battery was dead. Plugged it in and used it for about 30 minutes and it was 100% charged. I was surprised that it recharged so fast.

I would assume that USB3 is very standard now. A year ago, not so much.
Dave,
Thanks for that info!
Have you used it to watch livestreaming of racing yet?
If so,I assume the buffering was fine,and no stopping or graphics interference with the video.Of course I know it all directly relates to the quality of the signal sent from the source.
If yes to the above,do you have the model # for it?
Thanks again!
Barry
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
TimesTheyRAChangin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Why 15.6 inches?
DJ,
As I mentioned to Dave,there is no point in paying extra for a 17.3" screen when a 15.6" will do,as I'm hooking it up to a large screen TV.
Barry
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
TimesTheyRAChangin

Quote:
I'm not sure you'll be able to get a laptop without the graphics adapter being integrated. The greater the price, the better the graphics processor that'll be used, and, more graphics memory.

One aspect which will need to be researched is the graphics memory. Most systems will not have dedicated memory for the GPU. The central memory will be logical partitioned where the largest partition will be for use by the operating system and the smaller part is being carved out and used for the buffers used by the GPU.
DJ,
You're confusing me now.
I was talking about integrated/dedicated Video Card.
Or is that the same thing?
My understanding was that you can't remove it,and replace it with an upgrade if necessary.
So in my example,I don't know if I am good to go.
Barry

Barry
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
TimesTheyRAChangin

Quote:
There is more to consider with the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) than just how much you can store. There are speed considerations.

If you can get a HDD that spins at 7200 RPM, it will be a better performer. That is because most laptops and even desktops still use 5200 RPM drives.

Also, as a part of the HDD, there is what is called a cache. It is nothing more than dedicated memory to hold things as they come and go between the HDD and the rest of the PC. It makes thing go a little fast or smoother by reducing the amount of time need to wait for the disk to do things. The larger the cache the better your experience will be.

The ultimate would be a system that not only has a huge and fast HDD but would also have what is called a solid state drive. That's just a fancy term for a chunk of dedicated and very fast memory which holds a copy of the operating system and does not lose it even when the power is turned off. The most visible thing about having a solid state drive is it boot and is ready to use almost instantly. But, these things add a cost, and while they are getting cheaper, they still will add hundreds of dollars to the price.
DJ,
Yes,I understand about the higher rpm drive,but is it really necessary for my purposes?
Also,I read the SSD's are superior because they have no moving parts that can wear out.
Again with the HD,I'm certain I read that a large capacity makes the CPU work harder needlessly,as it wastes time searching the unused portion.
Barry
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
TimesTheyRAChangin

Quote:
Now a days, almost any new computer will be using a microprocessor with multiple cores. Only the very bottom, entry level systems, will be using the cheapest CPUs which will not have very large caches and/or no or few cores.

Getting something that is the latest and greatest will, once again, have a price but it will "buy" you a bit of future-proofing.
DJ,
So AMD A8 or A10 & Intel i5 or i7 should be good enough for a while?
Barry