Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
olelucky

Beavercreek OH

I understand the preference section of the conditions but I am unsure if the 50,000 part is referring to the purse size or if it means for horses who have not started for a claiming price of 50k, knew you guys could answer that for me.

Preference To Horses That Have Not Started For Less Than $50,000
olelucky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

I don't know what race you are specifically referring to but based on the information given I would say with near certainty that it is referring to claiming price. Usually you see that preference stipulation in allowance races or upper level claimers to ensure that real cheapies don't usurp the spot of a legit horse in the field because of other preference considerations.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I don't know what race you are specifically referring to but based on the information given I would say with near certainty that it is referring to claiming price. Usually you see that preference stipulation in allowance races or upper level claimers to ensure that real cheapies don't usurp the spot of a legit horse in the field because of other preference considerations.
I have seen these conditions for both claiming and allowance races
"Races where horses have started for less than $xxxxx not considered in allowances". I have sen this for claiming races where the weight is assigned for only those starts where horse has started for a certain claiming price and over that number..
IN allowance races with the condition "or have never won X races"....Races where horses have started for less than $XXXXX not considered"...
I have to assume that refers to the purse amount.
For allowance/optional claiming, conditions appear to apply to claiming price for horses entered for a tag and purse for those not up for a claim....
I look over these conditions carefully. Because there could be horses with more lifetime wins that the "never have won" condition because some of those wins were for purse or claiming price lower than the level of consideration. MY contention on this is horses that have wins vs cheaper or lower class have the advantage of 'knowing how to win'....
If those wins border on the floor of today's condition, then I take them into consideration
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
olelucky

Preference list

Sorry about wrong original title, the race in question was a msw. There is no mention of claiming, only preference for horses who have not started for 50k or less
olelucky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
mountainman

It's a preference clause that refers to claiming price.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply