Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
BaffertsWig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
As a side note, I tried Netflix for a couple of months, and was disappointed in their selection, especially of classic movies. Their original content didn't impress me either, but based on their subscription numbers, I must be an outlier.
Flaked
Love
Master of None

3 very solid original series worth a watch. I just signed up a few months ago and absolutely love it. I can't wait for October, they usually ramp up their horror category for Halloween. Well worth the $10/mo, the selection is vast and offers something for everyone IMO.
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #17
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Per this article, this guy says Netflix struggles with free cash flow. Huh?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/408...ns-growth-ends

All I know is that Netflix has the luxury of letting you and your ISP carry the workload for all that bandwidth. I've read where in some areas Netflix is over half of the internet traffic from homes. Not sure how long that honeymoon lasts, with the competition between ISPs cutting margins to the bone.

As a side note, I tried Netflix for a couple of months, and was disappointed in their selection, especially of classic movies. Their original content didn't impress me either, but based on their subscription numbers, I must be an outlier.
I read that article too, Parkview...

In a nutshell I use different metrics and methodology to analyze companies that I invest in.

In a nutshell, I buy/sell companies solely on Free Cash Flow and price. I place a lot of emphasis on cash flow growth, FCF, FCF percentage growth, Return on Invested Capital, Return on the Free Cash Flow. By my way of doing all this, I don't have Netflix with negative cash flow, that's all. But, FCF does need to be monitored because of Netflix's decision to get into the production end of original movie and TV programming. I personally do not like this.

Netflix is still way too cheap to sell at this time, imo. I do have a very nice profit in the company so I have an added luxury of waiting and seeing how some of the headline stories play out. I will be using the stock prices I posted earlier for my personal 'sell' signal.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #18
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Looking for value and waiting (sometimes years) for the market to catch up is boring when you have the excitement of watching a dot on your computer screen move up and down all day.

NFLX checks all my boxes except that it doesn't pay a dividend. They invest so much back into the business (content is expensive) that I doubt they do for a very long time.

I sit enviously on the sidelines. It's okay though. There are enough that check every box for me. And rules are rules.
Sorry for being late to your post.

I am with you about the dividend 'box' needing to be checked. I am in total agreement with you, ________. Dividend paying companies are better investments in the aggregate.

But a few years back I did my semi-annual re-evaluation of my portfolio and I found I owned too many old time stocks such as Abbott, Altria, Chevron, and the like.

I wanted some growth companies so over the years I'd add 1-2 companies who were either new to the dividend paying crowd or not a dividend payer. That's the why on how I now have a Netflix and United Therapeutics, to name two. But, the no dividend payer must be dirt cheap, have a strong balance sheet and offer sales and earnings growth.

Nothing wrong in sitting on the sidelines if you're uncomfortable. Yes, I personally feel there are a few dozen major, dividend paying companies that are selling below intrinsic value; some are screaming buys too. But you need to feel what is right for you.

It's just like the racetrack. If you don't bet the race, it's a winning bet! At least by my warped sense of thinking.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: