Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
TheGarMan

2014 -- "The Bucket List" -- All 3 legs of T.C

Ok, so not to bore you all with my life story, but I have always wanted to take in all three legs of the Triple Crown in one year.

This is the year it will finally happen.

So, with almost a year of planning, it now stands at just a little over two weeks until we leave for Kentucky. I thought now would make a nice time to start this thread and document some of the process here for everyone to see.

I am not a professional horseplayer, nor a horse expert in any way. Just a regular guy who appreciates this great sport, and wants to take a very important item off my "bucket list"

It has beens long "prep season" and like most of you we are now ready to "get on with it"

For now, I'll just tell you there will be four of us making all three stops. (My wife, our adult son, his girlfriend and myself). We also have a few friends jumping in and out the various races along the way.

I'll check back in later tonight to offer my take on the planning / ticket & lodging process for each leg, and I'll try to offer any information I learned along the way. Likewise, if you have some advice or input for us, I am all ears.

Thats all for now, just wanted to get the thread rolling. I'll stop back later and start to document the process, and then make periodic updates as the next eight weeks unfold.

We are very much looking forward to sharing all the great times with the other members here.

Gar

Last edited by TheGarMan; 04-11-2014 at 05:52 PM.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
MutuelClerk

Sounds like a great trip Gar. Enjoy, have fun and who knows if you knockout the derby tri the trip pays for itself.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
bgbootha

Sounds awesome, I look forward to reading this and following along.
bgbootha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
ArlJim78

great idea. is it one long trip moving from leg to leg, or three separate trips returning home each time?
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
great idea. is it one long trip moving from leg to leg, or three separate trips returning home each time?
Great question...

My work is flexible, but not THAT flexible

We will be returning home between races.

Gar
Old 04-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbootha
Sounds awesome, I look forward to reading this and following along.
Same here.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Smarty Cide
Veteran

gonna be a great story if cali chrome can win the triple crown... or any horse for that matter
Smarty Cide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan
Great question...

My work is flexible, but not THAT flexible

We will be returning home between races.

Gar
figured that might be the case. I was thinking though that for a retired person this idea might make for a great RV trip. taking in the racing and other sights along the way.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
tanner12oz

I'll be at the preakness and Belmont this year I stay home and throw I blowout party for the derby...usually do some preps...by the Belmont I'm running on fumes myself
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
TheGarMan

The Background :

Ok, here we go:

First, I can not stress enough that I was not brought up a horse guy. I grew up out in the country, but never owned a horse, never visited a race track, and have no idea what drew me to the sport.

But somewhere around Easy Goer / Sunday Silence, I was hooked.

Since the early 2000's, we have treked to various OTB's , racinos, etc, for each of the three races of the Triple Crown. I can't begin to tell you how many bets I made for friends back home that were scribbled out on a beer coaster.

Then, in 2010, we made a "day trip" from our house in Pennsylvania to Baltimore to see the Preakness. -- The next year (and each year since) we roll into Baltimore on the third Saturday in May with a small entourage , ages 25 - 45. We sit inside behind the glass for the "main event", but we are still young enough to party with the kids in the infield for a few hours as well.

But deep down, "The Derby" always called. Every year we always seemed to find reasons not to go. (Too busy with work, paying for college, etc). We were the people at the OTB, who would always say "maybe next year".

But life is funny. Our son grew up to be a fine young man, he also loves the "game" and now he makes a little money of his own. Just after Derby day 2013 he reminded me that "I wasn't getting any younger". Then maybe you hear about an old work buddy that falls over dead of a heart attack at 40 something, and you realize, its time to get some of this important stuff out of the way. And that (in a round about way) brings me to last November, and the scheduled "presale" for the Kentucky Derby 2014 tickets.

-------------------------------

After endless conversations , I had signed up in October for a special "presale" on churchhildowns.com. Having been to dozens of events in my life (concerts, races, NFL playoffs, etc) I thought I had seen it all in terms of ticketing, but the Derby takes things to a new level. The "rules" of the early presale were quite strange. A few things come to mind: 1) You MUST agree to buy Derby and Oaks tickets on your order. 2) You MUST agree to buy a $25 souvenir "gift card" with your order and 3) You MUST pay a "premium" for first crack at the tickets. (Yes, above face value) -- So, if you are keeping track at home, you are required to buy a bunch of things you may or may not want, pay extra for "honor" of buying the tickets and be prepared to send them your money a full six months in advance All of which I happily did

See, prior we had searched the internet in advance for those "tour companies" that offer "Derby Experiences" and found them to he horrendously overpriced. Overpriced tickets, bundled with over priced rooms, and sold to people who don't know any better. I guess they are easy and simple, but I still work for my money, and I am a pretty resourceful guy, so after much conversation, we sucked it up, and went the way of the presale. We considered "the infield" (decided against) and in the end, we simply bought the best tickets we could afford. We were going to make this happen.

During the first few moments of the presale, we landed 4 tickets in section 124 - Row "A" . (trackside!) The face value is $154.00 each -- We will also be at the Oaks on Friday in the same seats -- A $100 face value.

Our total investment for four (4) tickets in the lower grandstand (both days) was about $1300.00

I should point out that we could have waited and entered the regular "public sale". We also could have bought tickets later on the secondary market. We CHOSE to go the "presale" route, and in the end are happy with the results.

Within an hour of landing the tickets, I began to feverously shop for a hotel in Louisville. (Most of which I learned are "blocked out" year to year by the big tour companies). I found rooms close that were VERY expensive. And rooms far away that were rather reasonable. The trick is to find a close room that is reasonable. -- After reading a few online reviews, we settled on the "Red Roof Inn" located at Louisville Fair and Expo Center. I understand the hotel to be about 4 miles from Churchill, and it really was "highly recommended". - Early in the week, the rates are very reasonable ($85.99) however, as the Derby gets closer, the rates rise. (Thursday, Friday and Saturday came in at nearly $325.00 per night).

Our hotel bill for 5 nights is $1200.00

NOTE: I booked the above hotel in November. If you are planning a trip of this nature, I would highly recommend you do the same, as they sell out FAST.

I'll stop there for tonight, but I will say this, like most "big events" there is a bit of a "cash grab" going on with the derby. The semi strange ticket practices, and the tripling and even quadrupling of nightly hotel rates are an example. However, for us this is probably a "once in a lifetime" event, and I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. We will pay it, and we will make the most of it and we will have a BLAST. . After all , ITS THE DERBY! --

I hope I am not boring you to tears , and also I hope someone who is considering a similar trip can learn something from my story and experiences.

We hope to arrive in Louisville on Tuesday and spend some time sightseeing, and going on the "Bourbon Trail" tours before getting down to business at the Oaks on Friday.

Up Next: The Preakness ticket experience
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Sounds like a great trip Gar. Enjoy, have fun and who knows if you knockout the derby tri the trip pays for itself.
Now THAT would be awesome
Old 04-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
figured that might be the case. I was thinking though that for a retired person this idea might make for a great RV trip. taking in the racing and other sights along the way.

Great idea! Gotta put that on my list. Never made all 3 in one year either. Good luck Gar, enjoy the ride and the thrill.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
Cholly

Gar Man--You are livin' LARGE...Good on ya', Mate!
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
TheGarMan

Preakness :

So for us, attending the Preakness has become a pretty common practice . This will be our fourth year in a row. It is a nice easy 3 hour drive from our home in Pennsylvania. Further our son lives just north of the Baltimore city limits, near Cockysville, Maryland. We generally use his place as our "meeting place" before and after the races. From a gamblers perspective, I always do very well on Preakness day. Last year we hit "Oxbow" pretty hard, and also had "Sky Ring" in the previous race at a big number.

For the last three years, we have a group of 8-10 tickets inside behind the glass in "Grandstand Upper Reserved" . It is air conditioned and if it rains, you have no worries. These tickets also allow you to travel into the Preakness famous "infield fest" which is plenty of fun, and nowhere near as wild as it was 10 years ago. In recent years we have seen some great concerts on Preakness weekend from Florida Georgia Line, The Goo Goo Dolls , Rodney Atkins and many others. There are plenty of food and drink vendors at the "Fest". The infield is generally PACKED with college aged kids, and can be overwhelming at times, but no worries, as you are only a 15 min walk back to your own seat, and air conditioning

As most of you may know, Pimlico is honestly in a pretty dumpy community, but it has its own charm. I have never been mugged or felt unsafe near the racetrack.

Once you have Preakness tickets, they will continue to mail / email you a yearly confirmation in December for a "renewal" -- You have until late January to confirm your seats and send payment. My ticket contact is "Ashley" and they seem to be well organized and friendly. This year our tickets were right about $110 each. A parking pass for Saturday was $50.

We will be staying at the Ramada Limited in Cockysville the day before and after the races. (A middle of the road hotel, priced at $60.00 a night on Expedia) Not fancy, but functional.

One of the truly nice things about Preakness is Fridays "Black Eyed Susan Day". I think general admission for the Friday races is less then 10 bucks. The weather is normally great, and its is a nice day to the track, without all the fuss of Preakness Day -- I would strongly urge you to consider B.E.S. day in your plans.

Once we made our plans for the Derby, and our normal renewal for Preakness, someone in the group pointed out the obvious: If you are going to Kentucky, and you are going to Maryland, "We might as well try the Belmont" -- -

I'll pick it up here next time.

Last edited by TheGarMan; 04-12-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
TheGarMan

Just over a week until we leave for Kentucky...

Just checking in as we have a little over a week until we leave for Kentucky.

Week before last we ordered our Belmont Stakes tickets. The process seemed pretty straight forward, as we settled for grandstand seats in section 3 P U . With the service fees, they ran just about $70.00 each. We also purchased a "level 2" parking pass, for a very reasonable $20.00. This leg of travel will be a "day trip" from our home in Pennsylvania, and will not involve any hotel / accommodations or side trips.

Ok, so with only a week to go, we now have all three legs set. We have tickets (and a plan) in place for each.

Here's to a prosperous and safe triple crown season for all of you!

Gar

ps -- Any recommendations on things to do / see on Derby week? We were thinking bourbon trail tour / Louisville Slugger Museum, etc. etc. We will have a day or two to kill, and advice is appreciated.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: