Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #31
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Nope, not a chance at 100. 50? Probably not, it would be a struggle if I made it.
don't know if you've seen balls out: gary the tennis coach
but coach stifler says push ups are the worst thing a tennis player can do!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKy_bvHa1wU

proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
don't know if you've seen balls out: gary the tennis coach
but coach stifler says push ups are the worst thing a tennis player can do!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKy_bvHa1wU

I knew there was a reason!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #33
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
How about push ups? If someone asked you to drop down and give them 100 could you do it?...
Yippee! That one I can do! Years of pissing off coaches in practice has made it a near involuntary reaction. Plus there's something about the physics of being unable to keep weight on these days I think that makes it easier for me.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #34
banacek

Free throws - 40
100 yards - 18 seconds
Bowling - 180 oh wait you mean 10 pin - make that 100

Speaking of bowling. When I was a kid professional bowling was a big deal. If you think horse racing is dying out, it looks like pro bowling is dead. Horse racing is like the NFL comparatively. The top money earner last year made $178,000...and I'm assuming he has to pay most of his expenses.
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by banacek
Free throws - 40
100 yards - 18 seconds
Bowling - 180 oh wait you mean 10 pin - make that 100

Speaking of bowling. When I was a kid professional bowling was a big deal. If you think horse racing is dying out, it looks like pro bowling is dead. Horse racing is like the NFL comparatively. The top money earner last year made $178,000...and I'm assuming he has to pay most of his expenses.
Bowling was on network TV nearly every Saturday, it was great. The Tournament of Champions is actually here in Oklahoma this week, just outside OKC, and I wouldn't even think of going.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:42 AM   #36
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
How about push ups? If someone asked you to drop down and give them 100 could you do it? I just tested this. The answer is a resounding NO. I got 43. Was hoping for my age (50).
I could probably do 15 (20 if my life depended on it)
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 AM   #37
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I could probably do 15 (20 if my life depended on it)
Maybe a plank would work better for you
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #38
Johnny V

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Free throws............55
Bowling................190
Straight Pool...........56 balls

Sorry...I don't run anymore.
Straight pool? Wow. When I was a kid coming up that was the game. Everyone knew what their high run was. Now you ask someone that and you get a blank look. I can't remember the last time I saw a real pool room with the string of scoring beads over the tables. Now it is all 9 ball I guess. We very rarely played that and when we did the money was on the 5 and the 9. I don't know what I could run now. With my eyes the way they are now maybe a rack. I can't cut the the thin ones in anymore that's for sure.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #39
charm city whizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Bowling was on network TV nearly every Saturday, it was great. The Tournament of Champions is actually here in Oklahoma this week, just outside OKC, and I wouldn't even think of going.

Remember bowling on abc at 3pm with chris shenkel (sp) and Bo burton jr was must watch tv even non bowlers would watch

Growing up with my father who bowled I was a avid bowler who took 5 years off after high school where I averaged 197

When I came back I averaged 213 and when I made another comeback averaged 223

Not picking up a ball about 2 months ago for 4 years bowling in crofton maryland I shot 279 you basically had a 6 board area to miss and still strike such a joke

About 6 years ago when they had the U.S. open In jersey there was s practice session where they put out the oil pattern they use in the us open, in a house where 2 weeks before I shot a 801 series and averaged 223 I managed to average 139 for 6 games

Make no mistake about it these pros on tv are the real deal, it's really all about the lanes

As for free throws maybe 50/100
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #40
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny V
Straight pool? Wow. When I was a kid coming up that was the game. Everyone knew what their high run was. Now you ask someone that and you get a blank look. I can't remember the last time I saw a real pool room with the string of scoring beads over the tables. Now it is all 9 ball I guess. We very rarely played that and when we did the money was on the 5 and the 9. I don't know what I could run now. With my eyes the way they are now maybe a rack. I can't cut the the thin ones in anymore that's for sure.
Played ball with a guy whose job into adulthood was hustling- mostly Snooker. He was VERY good, for a very long time. Beer & age took its' toll!
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charm city whizz
Remember bowling on abc at 3pm with chris shenkel (sp) and Bo burton jr was must watch tv even non bowlers would watch

Growing up with my father who bowled I was a avid bowler who took 5 years off after high school where I averaged 197

When I came back I averaged 213 and when I made another comeback averaged 223

Not picking up a ball about 2 months ago for 4 years bowling in crofton maryland I shot 279 you basically had a 6 board area to miss and still strike such a joke

About 6 years ago when they had the U.S. open In jersey there was s practice session where they put out the oil pattern they use in the us open, in a house where 2 weeks before I shot a 801 series and averaged 223 I managed to average 139 for 6 games

Make no mistake about it these pros on tv are the real deal, it's really all about the lanes

As for free throws maybe 50/100
Yeah, they definitely make it tough on the pros these days. They even tell them the pattern I think and sub 200 scores are still common. Totally different sport they play than league bowlers, like a round of golf at a US Open course vs your local public track.

Nice on the 800 under any conditions, I never get there.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #42
fiveouttasix

Well I bowled 2 nights a week until the 90's and averaged 190...so probably 120 now LOL

was 6' 6" center in HS ball with a soft touch ( that was in the 70's) so probably 40 out of a hundred now.

Running forget it!
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 AM   #43
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Running...........hahaha.

Free Throws --> Probably 35/100.

Bowling --> I still league bowl 1 night a week. Back in my "prime" about 25-30 years ago I had 2 sanctioned 300 games and my lifetime high set is 784. I would attribute these achievements to very favorable lane conditions rather than any special raw talent. Fast forward to this season and I am struggling mightily to average even 190, despite lanes which can still be very conductive to high scoring. I'm inching closer to 60 years old, which probably explains why physical issues are impacting my game at an ever increasing rate. Not ready to hang it up for a number of years, but likely need to lower my (high) expectations!

Nice 801 set charm city whizz!! An 800+ set today is still the truly GREAT bowling achievement.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #44
RaceBookJoe

I did these yesterday
Running- 14 to 15 seconds
Free Throws- 72 inside, 68 outside
Pushups - 77, did a pause at the top at 50

Have not bowled in years, so my guess is 140.
Straight pool - years ago I had somewhere around 90
Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #45
Valuist

Free throws. I still sometimes shoot baskets in between weights/cardio. But realistically, I wouldn't say higher than 60.

Bowling? I once bowled a 190 in 6th grade. Never topped it, although I only bowled once in the past 20 years and I think I got around a 120.

100 yards? I never was timed in the 100. I played WR in HS football and could run pretty good, several decades ago. My dad was a state finalist in the 100 MANY years ago. But at over 50? No more sprinting for me. Don't need the hamstring pulls or tears.

How about bench? I can still get a few reps out at 205, but could get 255 years ago.

Horse race handicapping? Peaked in the 90s. Nowadays spend more time betting sports than horses.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply