Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
Shelby

I like, in no particular order:

Larry Jones

Chad Brown

Mark Casse

John Sherriffs

Todd Pletcher

Bob Baffert

Steve Asmussen

Just in case my opinion counts
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #17
jognlope

I've always like Baffert, but Pletcher had 4 wins yesterday (he has too many horses, like 200?)
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #18
Paseana

The appearance fees were great for him and his connections, but did they guarantee that he was going to win? I think not.

Baffert has won 5 Haskells in the last 11 runnings, and appearance fees have nothing whatsoever to do with that.
Paseana is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #19
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Boy
Paceadvantage is to Dewayne Lukas as I am to Ron Zook. We are the only non-relatives of those individuals to insist that they are near the top of their chosen professions, and we will insist upon that point no matter how crazy it sounds to others. I can respect that.
ron zook. really?
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #20
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseana
The appearance fees were great for him and his connections, but did they guarantee that he was going to win? I think not.

Baffert has won 5 Haskells in the last 11 runnings, and appearance fees have nothing whatsoever to do with that.

i couldn't figure out why breen would run his 2 horses against each other.....then it was mentioned the "appearance fees". man, that stuff sticks in my throat.

i'm glad nyra didn't go along with the suggestion of blind luck's owner as far as doubling the purse to get her. let her run in the pacific classic.

appearance fees and owner's demands seem to cheapen the industry. i think it was tom that suggested in another thread, make it a "winner take all" race and see what horses show up.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #21
dinque

i never will understand what goes on with these top trainers and why some of them will cycle off form and some wont....do they have a secret drug that is so unknown it is not yet illegal?...are they stone cold cheaters and some of them stop cheating for brief periods of time? are they just that much better trainers then the ones who seem competent, but not superstars?can vet work possibly matter that much???
the other important question is are they doing bad for their horses?
dinque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #22
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
appearance fees and owner's demands seem to cheapen the industry. i think it was tom that suggested in another thread, make it a "winner take all" race and see what horses show up.
4 horse fields in Grade I's look way worse to me than paying appearance fees.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #23
BIG49010

I don't know about everyone else, I thought his horse would make the lead, and was completly surprised when he closed from last to win. Lucky change or awesome training job?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #24
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
I don't know about everyone else, I thought his horse would make the lead, and was completly surprised when he closed from last to win. Lucky change or awesome training job?
They were talking about the inside being 'dead' and Bob told the rider to stay off the rail. I think the only way to get off the rail is to drop way back and circle wide. I think this was done by design.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
skate
s.e. pa.

wow we two wins in one day...that's somethin.

next race (if) will be somewhat tougher, he'll give up the Four #s.(lbs)

Glad to see Befferts got to run him on dirt. i guess he wanted to go easy on the feets.
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
4 horse fields in Grade I's look way worse to me than paying appearance fees.

how many of that field that was "paid to appear" were competitive and worthy of a bet ?
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #27
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartybadger
It was a sarcastic remark about Baffert's success in graded stakes over the past few years compared to D. Wayne's lack of success. Please don't give me the Oaklawn training title speech again.
Silly me, I thought you were referring to them both at similar points in their careers.

Why would you think that I thought you were comparing them at this present point in time?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Boy
Paceadvantage is to Dewayne Lukas as I am to Ron Zook. We are the only non-relatives of those individuals to insist that they are near the top of their chosen professions, and we will insist upon that point no matter how crazy it sounds to others. I can respect that.
When have I EVER been foolish enough to offer up that Lukas is near the top of his profession at this point in time, or any point in time in the last number of years?

Clearly the jets have cooled on that airship...but, we have seen that before with him. Lukas has been counted out more than once in the past, only to rise again...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
LMFAO!!!!!

SO TRUE SO TRUE!
No, not true at all. Learn to read.

LMFAOAYDAR....

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-02-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
is there a better trainer out there i dont think so. Everything he sends out runs.
He's got a lot of people spending a lot of money on horses. He's got a lot of one hit wonders. When you work young horses from the gate at 58, your going to get a lot of injuries. His casulties are higher than most. He'll take a 200,000 K purchase and turn it into a 10,000 fair claimer real fast.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply