Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #46
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Tom (Dick) sat in front of me at a seminar in Albany, NY. He really grasped the advanced Sartin programs and was an eager student.
At one break, I introduced myself and told him I was a regular reader of his books. He thanked me and said, "Where has THIS guy been all my life?"
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #47
highnote

Was this photo taken at the Handicapping Expo in Vegas? What a great photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
The four horsemen of the Sartin "con man" legacy apocalypse.

Last edited by highnote; 07-29-2019 at 11:06 AM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #48
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Not true. Ainslie was quite complimentary of Sartin and his work...and even became a pace handicapping convert during the latter stages of his long handicapping career.
I think Dave meant that he was never a part of PIRCO.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #49
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Maybe it's me , but I never see any examples of Sartin's method posted as evidence of its power.

Yes, there are 1000 hours of audio and text.

Talking about real time examples of why its the holy grail. Seems to be a dearth of that
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #50
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Maybe it's me , but I never see any examples of Sartin's method posted as evidence of its power.

Yes, there are 1000 hours of audio and text.

Talking about real time examples of why its the holy grail. Seems to be a dearth of that
Why would you expect to see people's work posted?
How many real time example of HSH, of Jcapper, of AllWays do you see?

Well, I have posted examples many time in the past here.
46 used to post examples of Speculator here. And at Pace and Cap, there are COUNTLESS races worked in real
time.

It is not a system - everyone will not get the same horses or the same winners. I think you are looking for RPM type stuff.

And that is the dearth of that.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #51
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Not true. Ainslie was quite complimentary of Sartin and his work...and even became a pace handicapping convert during the latter stages of his long handicapping career.
Complimentary and respectful, yes. But not a pace handicapper.

When he visited me in 1991, he told me that pace handicapping was just to complicated for him.

Also said that he did not own a computer.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #52
highnote

Quote:
That's a good thing for Sartin Methodology users.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #53
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Howard always stated "There are no rules." so the successful way one uses it or another shows the multi-faceted, personalized results..

I personally found it was HORRID at many track and GREAT at others..

I followed early speed dominated course and found that the earl/late balance was one of the most outstanding evaluations I EVER USED.

One of the most severe limitations on this software is the use of a single line to predict how a horse will run today...ASKING for sample error.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 07-29-2019 at 07:53 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #54
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
One of the most severe limitations on this software is the use of a single line to predict how a horse will run today... .
Paradoxically, that is also its strength.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:06 PM   #55
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Paradoxically, that is also its strength.
IMO...picking a single past performance line as a barometer for judging the ability of a horse is the height of folly.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #56
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
IMO...picking a single past performance line as a barometer for judging the ability of a horse is the height of folly.
I think it had more to do with limitations of computing power (or human computing power and the time involved). It would be silly to rely on one line and ignore the rest of the data with the tech available today.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #57
highnote

I wrote software that borrowed from Dick Mitchell's All-In-One program in that I made a pace graph of each segment of the race. It looked something like this for the horses that I determined to be contenders in today's upcoming race:

1. -------x---|-----X-----|----X------|
2. ----------x|----------X|-------X---|
3. -----x-----|-----X-----|----------X|

The contender selection was based on a horse's history, but the placement of each horse's X was based on a single pace line for each horse.

The placement of each horse's X was determined by each horse's velocity numbers. It is incredible how accurate this would be. The horse that the graph showed would get the lead, would usually get the lead. The horses' running position at the 2nd call and finish line was often dead on.

I agree with Sartin that horses are creatures of habit. Their running styles are predictable and so are their running times. Sometimes a jockey can get a horse to change, but not always -- especially, older claimers.

MSWs and Allowance NW1s can sometimes improve dramatically. Even MCLs can change, but often older maiden claimers have already shown what they're capable of running.

Along with the pace graph and a little handicapping based on form cycles you can get a good feel for what a horse is capable of doing. Sometimes, I would plug in two or three different pace lines for a given horse to see how each pace line matched up with the other runners. If there are two pace lines for one horse that are plausible and you can't tell for sure which one to use, then you have to use your handicapping skill and knowledge to try to figure out how it is most likely to run.

It's horseracing. Sometimes you get it right. Sometimes it rains and the track turns to mud.

Last edited by highnote; 07-29-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #58
Appy

Interesting thread.
I will only say I went to Craven's Pace and Cap Sartin site on the advice of a friend. I found that to be good advice. I learned a lot of very useful information and consider the material "must read" for anyone wanting to learn some valuable insights. I have no doubt you will find good friends there, just as I did.
That process left me with nothing but good things to say about Ted, despite the fact I moved on to continue my learning process.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:22 AM   #59
lefty359

Quote:

That's correct. I was invited to the Sartin Seminars In Vegas for free by Doc himself. Ainslie spoke at one of them, saying he was now using the methodology.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 12:27 AM   #60
lefty359

Quote:

With Validator, Doc always said put in several pacelines and let the prgm pick the best one.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply