Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Man, this is bad

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Hah! And I thought I had the rant of the day.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
Denny
Veteran

These Jackpots are going to be the death of racing one day (if the drugging and cheating doesn't kill it first - or the horse fatalities).

Just one more Fix on a Pick6 Jackpot could do it.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Hey, for those who pay no attention to these jackpot wagers (like me), what's the bottom line on all of this? The person who thought he won $700,000+ didn't actually win?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-08-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Hey, for those who pay no attention to these jackpot wagers (like me), what's the bottom line on all of this? The person who thought he won $700,000+ didn't actually win?
I didnt think anyone hit anything, it was a 25/1 shot who won the last....I am confused.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I didnt think anyone hit anything, it was a 25/1 shot who won the last....I am confused.
I watched the race live.

The 25/1 shot was the only live single ticket, according to track announcer Michael Wrona. He called it down the stretch...and he announced the payout after the race was official. Something like $750,000...

So, since cj entitled the thread "Man, this is bad" I'm assuming the person who thought they won, actually didn't.

Hope they cashed that ticket quickly...
Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
Denny
Veteran

PA, That would look pretty bad.
___

Not for nothing, but I've been concerned with what could happen with these Jackpots.

The money involved is so much that it could provide incentive for a trainer with multiple horses in the sequence to control the outcome. Stiffing the ones that figure, and putting over another one or two that shows nothing in the pp's.

A couple of trainers could even work together on something. It's called collusion, and it does happen.

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist.

BUT, this is horseracing that were talking about. What sport has a worse reputation than this one? With plenty of real examples of cheating having happened before.

Remember when Boxing was popular.
___

The winner did win. There was just another live horse that wasn't mentioned by the track before the race. At least that's the way I'm reading it.

Still it would have looked really bad.

Goodnight all.

Last edited by Denny; 04-08-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
iamt

I read it as thought the winner was unaffected. The issue was another horse would also have scooped the jackpot, which would have been quite a surprise post-race to everyone watching.
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That is what I thought originally, but in this case, no. It could have been that bad. There were actually two horses that would have swept the jackpot, not the one that was displayed. It could have just as easily been a second ticket on the same horse making it not a jackpot winner if I'm understanding this right.

The one that was displayed happened to win.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Makes sense...

Nice glitch though. Wonder what other "glitches" are out there.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

With the way these tote systems operate, you would have figured Y2K would have ended racing 18 years ago...
Old 04-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Makes sense...

Nice glitch though. Wonder what other "glitches" are out there.
Exactly. The tech is so outdated there is no real way to have any faith in it. It is all piece-worked together to try to make it function with the modern game.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt View Post
I read it as thought the winner was unaffected. The issue was another horse would also have scooped the jackpot, which would have been quite a surprise post-race to everyone watching.
Correct!
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 02:02 AM   #14
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
These Jackpots are going to be the death of racing one day (if the drugging and cheating doesn't kill it first - or the horse fatalities).

Just one more Fix on a Pick6 Jackpot could do it.
Well, if the Breeder's Cup pick 6 "Drexel" scandal back in 2002 didn't kill the exotic bets, I think that the jackpot pools have some wriggle room. It was only a couple of years ago there was an uproar over the jackpot pick 6 at Louisiana Downs that ended up NOT being a jackpot, because the post time favorite resulted in a second winning ticket from a late scratch. And did that adversely affect the jackpot style wagers? Ummm, no.

Look at the carryovers across the country on a typical day of racing. Jackpots lead the way, and appear to my untrained eye to be gaining in popularity.

I agree that that drugs and cheating are big problems, if not bigger problems, and I would submit the jackpot style pools are a desperate attempt by the parasite to maintain life while the host is dying.

BUT - there is a minimum number of players that will continue to play the horses, short of the Sun going supernova, no matter what.

And as George C. Scott said so eloquently in the movie "Patton", and as paraphrased by Andy Beyer, "God Help Me, but I love it so...."

Last edited by Parkview_Pirate; 04-09-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 03:18 AM   #15
HorsemenHeist

I saw the willpay on the pick 6 on DRF bets to that 7 showing $603k prior to the race. Obviously that would be a single ticket jackpot payout.

The 7 wasn't listed as a carryover horse tho, so I'm not sure how SA glitched on this one. I'm guessing the TV monitors merely did not post that jackpot label next to the number because of that difference in exchange rate.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: