Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

In five years they will be pretty damn good. I would ride in one. Imagine "recovering" your commute?

There are people here in Houston who commute 1.5-2 hours every day. I call them fools.

If you could actually work in your car during the commute it would change everything
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #32
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
In five years they will be pretty damn good. I would ride in one. Imagine "recovering" your commute?

There are people here in Houston who commute 1.5-2 hours every day. I call them fools.

If you could actually work in your car during the commute it would change everything
If they get all the bugs ironed out it would definitely boost productivity.

Still don't know why road sensors would be necessary. Self-driving cars are being tested without sensors on the road now.

As the technology improves it will also come down in price.

I'm not sure at some sort of radar that can see around a turn will ever be invented. Maybe sensors will only be needed in difficult to navigate areas?

Maybe temporary sensors will be set up in construction areas.

Most of the problems can be overcome through engineering. The tricky ones are the ones Donald Rumseld mentioned:

"... as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones."
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #33
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post

I'm not sure at some sort of radar that can see around a turn will ever be invented. Maybe sensors will only be needed in difficult to navigate areas?
"
Go read the link from previous page...
Old 03-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #34
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Go read the link from previous page...
I read it quickly, but can't remember all of it. The gist of it seemed to be that sensors in rural areas might be easier because there are less right of ways to deal with.

Also, 5G should help.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #35
tucker6

Quote:
I read it quickly, but can't remember all of it. The gist of it seemed to be that sensors in rural areas might be easier because there are less right of ways to deal with.

Also, 5G should help.
OR signs saying slow down, blind child at play. How would a computer know?
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #36
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
There is a four way stop sign not far from my house. Not everyone follows the yield to the car on the right rule.

Oftentimes four cars arrive simultaneously. If all four cars yielded to the car on the right none of the cars would ever move. Or they would all move at the same time and there would be a four car crash.
Lol. True. It's not yield to the car on the right anyway. It's who got there first. Then go in turn.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #37
Fager Fan
Veteran

I'd say the answer is do away with all 4 or multiple way stops. Either put in lights or make them roundabouts. Problem solved.

I'd say that bikers and walkers would just need to know that the same truism now will be true then - the car is bigger than you and will hurt your ass, so beware.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #38
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
OR signs saying slow down, blind child at play. How would a computer know?
Image recognition software. (TDA)

-jp

Old 03-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #39
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I'd say the answer is do away with all 4 or multiple way stops. Either put in lights or make them roundabouts. Problem solved.

I'd say that bikers and walkers would just need to know that the same truism now will be true then - the car is bigger than you and will hurt your ass, so beware.
The roundabout experiment here in Cajunland has been a bit of a failure. We have around 4-5 of them and I would say about 10% of the brilliant locals actually know how they work.
Most treat it like a four way stop, which they don't know how to use either...they stop and then they go, period.
The concept of the right of way belonging to those in the roundabout hasn't reached them yet. Heck, the whole "right of way" concept down here is totally backwards. Everyone is so intent on being nice that they yield when they have the right of way, which causes more problems than if they would just go.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #40
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Image recognition software. (TDA)

-jp

would you bet your life on it?
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #41
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
The roundabout experiment here in Cajunland has been a bit of a failure. We have around 4-5 of them and I would say about 10% of the brilliant locals actually know how they work.
Most treat it like a four way stop, which they don't know how to use either...they stop and then they go, period.
The concept of the right of way belonging to those in the roundabout hasn't reached them yet. Heck, the whole "right of way" concept down here is totally backwards. Everyone is so intent on being nice that they yield when they have the right of way, which causes more problems than if they would just go.
That made me laugh. My first experience with roundabouts was in England/Scotland 30 years ago, and they're fabulous. As long as people understand them. They don't seem that difficult to understand.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #42
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Heck, the whole "right of way" concept down here is totally backwards. Everyone is so intent on being nice that they yield when they have the right of way, which causes more problems than if they would just go.
When I first moved to the NYC metro area from the rural Midwest, it took me about 2 weeks to figure out that there is a reason no one is "nice". Being nice just pisses everyone else off because being nice slows down the whole system.

No one expects you to be nice. People on the East Coast are not mean. They are efficient. People from the Midwest might interpret that as being mean, but that is wrong. East coast drivers accept that you might be a little delayed by having to wait your turn or wait for a break in the traffic to make your move. Being nice causes a bottleneck and that is unacceptable.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #43
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
would you bet your life on it?
Funny you should ask that.

Is that technology sufficient at the present time?

In most cases I'd tend to say yes.

But in some cases my answer would be hell no. At least not until such time as the technology is vastly improved.

Using technology that is currently available as I type this:

On a clear sunny day - with no obstructions whatsoever between cameras and roadside signs - computers programmed with TDA based image recognition software should be able to very quickly identify objects such as stop signs, yield signs, or speed limit signs with near 100% accuracy.

The software is able to do that based on shapes and colors. Or more specifically after having analyzed the coloring and locations of pixels in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of images it has been fed during training sessions.

In the case of a stop sign the software should be able to discern the octagonal shape and the red coloring into meaning: That's a stop sign.

In the case of a speed limit sign the software should be able to recognize the shapes and coloring of the individual numbers and letters on the sign and translate those into a speed limit.

But what if some idiot does something stupid?

For example - hangs a beach towel over top of a stop sign?

Suddenly the shape is only octagonal on one side - with something the software hasn't been programmed to recognize flapping around in the breeze on the other side.

It's that "what if some idiot does something stupid" category that concerns me.

Most of us could probably think up a 1000 different ways someone could do something stupid to trip up the system.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 03-06-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #44
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Most of us could probably think up a 1000 different ways someone could do something stupid to trip up the system.

-jp

Reminds me of the scene in "Body Heat" where Mickey Rourke says to William Hurt something to the effect of, "When you commit a crime, 50 things can go wrong. If you can think of 25 of them, you're a genius."
Old 03-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #45
Jeff P

Absolutely.

-jp

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: