Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #16
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
There is no ditch to hit. There are jersey barriers on both sides of the road.

Only choice is to hit the pedestrians or hit the oncoming vehicle.
So are we to assume this automated driver will know all traffic laws and tort/insurance variables and make the best financial outcome decision for his passenger? If pedestrians are not in crosswalk, maybe hit them and plead they were the original law breakers in court. Like I said earlier, lots of worms in this can
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #17
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
So are we to assume this automated driver will know all traffic laws and tort/insurance variables and make the best financial outcome decision for his passenger? If pedestrians are not in crosswalk, maybe hit them and plead they were the original law breakers in court. Like I said earlier, lots of worms in this can
Someday drones will deliver packages from the sky and robots will deliver packages from an autonomous delivery vehicle and autonomous vehicles will drive humans everywhere.

Think of all the jobs that will be replaced -- probably a lot more than the advent of automobiles and phase-out of horses and buggies.

Fleets of autonomous vehicles will probably be owned by big companies. There won't be a need for taxi drivers. Companies like Lyft and Uber won't need drivers. There will be less of a need for auto insurance, mechanics, loan officers, technicians to change tires and oil.

I see a lot of benefits. Delivery drivers won't speed to make a delivery. They won't get careless or be distracted.

There might even be less crime because there will be cameras everywhere. All the robots, drones, and autonomous vehicles will have cameras that will be recording and/or streaming images locally or back to a server.

If people lose their jobs, how will they pay for a ride in a driverless car or have enough money to buy something that needs to be delivered?

Where will the new jobs come from?

Maybe everyone will get paid to create new filters for their snapchats?
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
OntheRail

Quote:
There is no ditch to hit. There are jersey barriers on both sides of the road.

Only choice is to hit the pedestrians or hit the oncoming vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
Three pedestrians are crossing the road and are in the middle of the lane of car "A"
Ah the ever changing parameters.... If in fact it is a tunnel lane... the forward scanning sensors would alert the on board system to either apply horn and voice recording tell the Liberal A**holes to get the *uck out of the road.. then hit gas or brakes as needed. (why do I say Liberal AH... who else would jump a Jersey Barrier to play in traffic... other then LAH's. we've seen them do it...)

All this may come to pass... sometime in the future.... beyond yours and my time. How many delivery trucks will be jacked by wifi bandits and a Nintendo Wee.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #19
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Ah the ever changing parameters....
The parameters only changed because you added a ditch.

If I would have wanted a ditch in my hypothetical I would have added it.

Quote:
All this may come to pass... sometime in the future.... beyond yours and my time. How many delivery trucks will be jacked by wifi bandits and a Nintendo Wee.
That's a good point, too, about getting them hacked or someone with a device to send out false radar signals.

Or what about projecting a hologram into the road that the cameras might pick up?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
When you drive a car and come to an intersection such as a 4 way stop, you can often make eye contact with the other drivers and, through common courtesy, you can decide who should go first. It doesn't always work, but most of the time it does.

If you're driving a car and you meet up with an autonomous vehicle, can you trust that it will not pull out in front of you, or can you be more aggressive and always beat the self-driving car through the intersection?
The rule is "yield to the vehicle on the right." Eye contact has nothing to do with it.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #21
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Will self-driving cars be allowed to take drunks home from bars?
Will self-driving cars be able to tell that the guy behind the wheel is drunk and decide to take over?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #22
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Where will the new jobs come from?
They won't come from anywhere.

As robots replace workers expenses decrease and profits rise. As workers are laid off fewer citizens can afford product, consumption decreases and profits fall. When the two lines cross capitalism as we know it end. Some form of welfare state is inevitable.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #23
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
The rule is "yield to the vehicle on the right." Eye contact has nothing to do with it.
There is a four way stop sign not far from my house. Not everyone follows the yield to the car on the right rule.

Oftentimes four cars arrive simultaneously. If all four cars yielded to the car on the right none of the cars would ever move. Or they would all move at the same time and there would be a four car crash.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:11 AM   #24
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Eye contact has everything to do with it. Acknowledgment, awareness, the other person-isn't-looking-at-his-f***ing-phone-ness of it...it's the supreme act of civil behavior. A point, a nod, flash of lights are simple ways of saying, you go (trust me). You shouldn't have to rely on the law in such a common situation, actor, but you're one of them lib types, so maybe such courtesies are alien territory to you.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #25
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
You can come up with any scenario. Take a "god" view and assume they are all people of equal worth.

Let's look at it three ways. Imagine you are driving or walking somewhere near your home.

Let's say you and a family member are passengers in the two passenger car, other family members are driving toward you in the four passenger car, and your family members are crossing the road.

Put yourself in either vehicle or as a passenger.

This is a real world scenario that has to be decided by software.

What decision do you want the software to make assuming that car "A" cannot avoid a collision with either the other car or the pedestrian. One or more people will die. Who is it going to be?

Do you want software to make the decision?
Sounds like a script. I might work on it and call it "I, Robot".
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #26
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Sounds like a script. I might work on it and call it "I, Robot".
It sounds like a better script than actual movie titled "i, ROBOT":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Robot_(film)

That movie plot seems too far fetched for my liking.

However, there are elements of the movie that shed light on that the situations the programmers of software for a contemporary self-driving car must consider.

When faced with a situation like the one described in this thread the car's software will react according to the software that controls it. Just because the car is programmed to take a certain action does not mean it took the optimal action.

Who is to decide what is optimal?

What if all people do not agree on what is optimal in a given situation?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #27
OntheRail

Highnote.. you are agonizing over this for no reason... Trump is cutting waste from the Federal Budget. I don't think Trump will approve funding of the needed sensors placed into the Highway system. So there you go... worry not.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #28
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Highnote.. you are agonizing over this for no reason... Trump is cutting waste from the Federal Budget. I don't think Trump will approve funding of the needed sensors placed into the Highway system. So there you go... worry not.
What? Me worry?

Why would special sensors be needed? They're not using them in tests right now?

Last edited by highnote; 03-05-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #29
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Will self-driving cars be allowed to take drunks home from bars?
Better yet... let self-driving cars take drunks to and from the bar!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #30
OntheRail

Quote:
What? Me worry?

Why would special sensors be needed? They're not using them in tests right now?

Driverless Cars Need Just One Thing: Futuristic Roads
https://www.mercatus.org/commentary/...turistic-roads