Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

ESPN's Sports Talk shows, Mike & Mike

Any former Mike&Mike fans out there(like me)? This was the most successful radio show in ESPN history, but was broken up at the end of 2017 and split up into two new shows: Golic & Wingo, which continued to air on both radio and TV; and, “GetUp” (AKA “WokeCenter AM”). GetUp didn’t start until April due to delays in studio construction, and stars Michelle Beadle and Jalen Rose , as well as Mike Greenberg. All three are making a ridiculous $5 million per year. Well, looks like it has been a ratings disaster. The brainchild of the move was ESPN president, John Skipper, who has since resigned due to a cocaine scandal.

These two articles describe the disaster.

April 5, 2018
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/e...panic-bristol/

June 16, 2018
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/w...-ratings-lows/
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

From what I understand Golic and Green just got sick of each other.

I tried watching both the new ones. Golic and Wingo is boring, and Get Up is just plain terrible.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
From what I understand Golic and Green just got sick of each other.
That's understandable...because I got sick of them both.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

The more failures by liberal spewing crap ESPN the better, if they went bankrupt and disappeared it would be a great day.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Politics is for off-topic, not off-topic sports...
Old 07-19-2018, 12:27 AM   #6
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The more failures by liberal spewing crap ESPN the better, if they went bankrupt and disappeared it would be a great day.
Haaaaaaahaaaaaa!
Dude, you've got it BAD, really BAD.
Good luck with that
Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Politics is for off-topic, not off-topic sports...

Hard not to mention when ESPN is brought up, that article linked by the OP brought up politics. If you watched the ESPY's last night I think Danica's opening monologue got political in the first minute. I don't want politics with my sports even if I agree with it.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Hard not to mention when ESPN is brought up, that article linked by the OP brought up politics. If you watched the ESPY's last night I think Danica's opening monologue got political in the first minute. I don't want politics with my sports even if I agree with it.
Your previous post stated that if ESPN went bankrupt and disappeared it would be a great thing...yet you watched the ESPY's ???
Lol you are a daily dose of delight
😂
Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Your previous post stated that if ESPN went bankrupt and disappeared it would be a great thing...yet you watched the ESPY's ???
Lol you are a daily dose of delight
��

I did not watch for long, believe it or not I will watch things out of curiosity to see how long certain things happen. I was curious to see how quick they got political. I switched the channel after the opening monologue. I had heard that ESPN was going to stop being so political from listening to their local AM radio shows when driving around. Obviously that was a big fat lie. Unfortunately ESPN radio is the best place for local Redskin news. If they stopped with the politics I would be fine with them. Like I said I do not want politics mixed with my sports even if I agree with it.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 07-19-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Yeah, sure you did.
No one believes this
Old 07-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I agree with you inner, once sports talk gets political, I turn it off. Their poor ratings are due partly to the political spin they did the first several weeks, without a doubt. Another article talks about Beadle making a stupid statement about a woman's issue and pounding her fist insisting that the show will have these kinds of issues. Rose made a anti-Trump statement ("I wish I had a president that represented me.") Then some mandate must have come down from the top. A few weeks ago, Greeny made an innocuous statement about helping kids achieve their dreams and Rose said "This show does not deal with social issues." Greeny looked stunned and tried to cover up for him with " this show will always try to bring light to brave stories." Or something like that.

So they've been pretty squeaky clean ever since. I stopped watching Skip & Shannon on FS1 for their stupid political bull, especially with the Colin Kapernick nonsense.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

My only contribution to this is to add that I, too, am one who used to watch not just Mike and Mike, but most of the other time-fillers as well; and if I didn't watch, I had it on as background noise. Now I don't. It wasn't a conscious, hard-stop; it was gradual. But these days I prefer the Weather Channel.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better!!!!
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
metro

ESPYS lost me when they gave the "courage" award to Kaitlyn Jenner a few years back over Lauren Hill, the Cincinnati area college basketball player who died from an inoperable brain tumor but dedicated her remaining time to raising money towards the disease. I wanted to vomit.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #15
thaskalos

I have lost interest is ESPN altogether. Even SportsCenter has become unwatchable...IMO. Whatever happened to the shows that featured only the highlights of the games...without all the added nonsense? It's a sad testament to the way we have allowed the sports world to infiltrate our day...and mind. A total waste of time...as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-26-2018 at 11:01 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: