Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #31
GMB@BP

This isnt just a problem for Santa Anita but a problem everywhere, its exacerbated at Santa Anita because there is no feeder tracks to ship a decent horse who can compete. The top horses at each class level are pretty hard knocking so its not like you win a alw race at turf paradise and say lets go to santa anita for more money in a nw2x, u gonna get crushed. In comparison that can happen say going from say Fairgrounds to Churchill, or Oaklawn to Gulfstream.

its bad for racing when any major area is down, its not a competition.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #32
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I have a stupid question, forgive me.

There are literally over a dozen racetracks from Florida up to Penn.

Why are there so few tracks in such a cavernous western cowboy state like California?

Last edited by EMD4ME; 02-05-2017 at 07:28 PM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #33
SuperPickle

The land is too valuable to race horses on and there are no slots like back east.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #34
FakeNameChanged

This industry, or sport has been in serious decline for over 10 years. Tipping point in reverse. Soon we'll all be competing with Nitro.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #35
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom
Racing is suffering from a lack of horses everywhere. The only track really worth following right now is Oaklawn. Full fields, interesting races and not dominated by just a few chemically savvy trainers.
I agree with everything except the comment about the trainers.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #36
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I agree with everything except the comment about the trainers.
Are you saying there are trainers dominating? I know a few win more than others but it's not like Aqueduct, where the race is already decided once there is significant money on a Rudy Rodriguez horse, regardless of its form. Pass.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:47 AM   #37
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom
Where the race is already decided once there is significant money on a Rudy Rodriguez horse, regardless of its form. Pass.
TP, if you really believed this to be true, why wouldn't you be betting RR's horses when the big money shows up, instead of passing??....Don't you like winning money with no handicapping required?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
MonmouthParkJoe

I enjoyed being at Santa Anita for the breeders but if you hold that card anywhere I would love it. I was thinking of making a trip to Santa Anita but with so few races I may make the trek to Oaklawn for the first time now.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #39
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
I enjoyed being at Santa Anita for the breeders but if you hold that card anywhere I would love it. I was thinking of making a trip to Santa Anita but with so few races I may make the trek to Oaklawn for the first time now.
Bear in mind, as a live racing experience, Santa Anita is amazing. The horse shortage causes many problems, but Santa Anita is still one of the most beautiful horse racing facilities in America. It just may not be the best track to bet.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #40
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It hasn't been that long. Eight race cards weren't the norm probably 15 years ago, and they raced on Wednesdays too. The only eight race cards I remember back then were Friday night Hollywood cards.
I started playing Socal regularly in 2000, and not only has the 8 race card been introduced since that time, but the 4 day race week at SA and Hol, and the 5 day race week at Delmar. When I started, it was Wed through Sun, and they ran Mondays at Delmar.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #41
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
The land is too valuable to race horses on and there are no slots like back east.
The property in the area the tracks that were closed and the area developed (Hollywood Park, Bay Meadows) is worth north of $1 million an acre.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #42
ultracapper

Longacres was shocking, Bay Meadows unbelievable, Hollywood Park apocalyptic. The fact that a track like Hollywood Park, with all its history and whatnot, closing with what seemed like nary a whimper from the general population nor the state government, is indicative of the health of this industry. Say what you will about the racing there the last 10 years of its existence, Hollywood Park was a horse racing standard barer. You can not discuss the history of the American horse racing experience, post-depression era, and not have Hollywood Park front and center.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #43
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst
This industry, or sport has been in serious decline for over 10 years. Tipping point in reverse. Soon we'll all be competing with Nitro.
There’s no time like the present! Hong Kong racing is alive and doing extremely well.
What amazes me is that not a single racing jurisdiction in the States recognizes this and takes any action on their own behalf and for their betting patrons. There are so many positive aspects of the HK program that can be replicated.
For me personally, I find it such a refreshing change from what takes place at our local tracks. Just take a look at all the threads/posts on the PA forums that relate to one complaint after another and you’ll understand what I mean.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #44
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro
There’s no time like the present! Hong Kong racing is alive and doing extremely well.
What amazes me is that not a single racing jurisdiction in the States recognizes this and takes any action on their own behalf and for their betting patrons. There are so many positive aspects of the HK program that can be replicated. For me personally, I find it such a refreshing change from what takes place at our local tracks. Just take a look at all the threads/posts on the PA forums that relate to one complaint after another and you’ll understand what I mean.
The bolded part of the above quote is 100% spot on!

-jp

Old 02-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #45
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Longacres was shocking, Bay Meadows unbelievable, Hollywood Park apocalyptic. The fact that a track like Hollywood Park, with all its history and whatnot, closing with what seemed like nary a whimper from the general population nor the state government, is indicative of the health of this industry. Say what you will about the racing there the last 10 years of its existence, Hollywood Park was a horse racing standard barer. You can not discuss the history of the American horse racing experience, post-depression era, and not have Hollywood Park front and center.
Its worth noting among all this pessimism that, as far as anyone can tell, Santa Anita makes a profit (which means it is doing a lot better than a lot of other American racetracks) and the track can still draw a big crowd for a big raceday (unlike many tracks, including Aqueduct).

Hollywood Park closed not simply because the land was more valuable than the racetrack use, but because it stopped being profitable. The land was more valuable than the racetrack use when RD Hubbard ran the track too, but the track was profitable and it wasn't going to be closed. Churchill and the Bay Meadows people ran the track into the ground.

So long as Santa Anita doesn't start bleeding Stronach money, it's not in danger of closing. The day to day racing isn't going to be nearly as strong as it was in its heyday, but there will still be big race days like the Santa Anita Derby and the Breeders' Cup that will draw big crowds and feature top horses.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply