Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #226
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
What other civilized countries have the amount of mass shootings that the U.S. does, or even gun related deaths, no country comes even remotely close, Are we more mentally ill than every other country, whats the reason behind all these mass killings, mental health is a big part but so is access to guns that can kill a lot of people in a short period of time
Switzerland and Israel are similarly armed.

Yes we have a mental health issue in this country. Hop on any social media site and see how people treat each other in regards to this one issue.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #227
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
We don't allow kids to drink until 21 because we are afraid they aren't responsible enough and may drive and kill someone but we allow them to buy and own weapons. That's ridiculous.
The fact we don't allow kids to drink until they are 21 is rooted in biology as much as it is hypocrisy. We are way behind the rest of the world in regards to our drinking age so I guess we should lower that too.

Personally, I think we should.

We live in this society where Guns are now taboo. I graduated from high school this century and the entire fall when I was in school there was a gun in my truck and many others. It wasn't this taboo thing or something to be feared it was part of our culture.

Now we live in a society where we need to protect everyone from everything but then get on forums like these and social media and completely trash other human beings we are likely to get along with fine on the outside.

Finally, because of the taboo nature of some of these things our children become that much more interested with them. I recently had a conversation with a bunch of 10 year olds who play PA's game Fortnight. They are casually talking about weapons like a SCAR and their knowledge of the gun only goes as far as what they learn in a game, where they shoot people with it, and apparently its the most powerful gun in the game. That's where their knowledge of the subject ends... what they ingest from media instead of going out and learning because...?... well... we have to protect the children.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-22-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #228
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Is the US still the leading ADHD medication consumer by a wide margin? We used to be about a decade ago...probably still are...

What other pharmaceuticals are US-youth taking, well above and beyond their international counterparts?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #229
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The fact we don't allow kids to drink until they are 21 is rooted in biology as much as it is hypocrisy. We are way behind the rest of the world in regards to our drinking age so I guess we should lower that too.

Personally, I think we should.
I am opposed to allowing immigrants from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc.. to come to the west until they are vetted properly because the data suggests they are a higher risk.

I am in favor of drinking limitations because the data suggests kids are a worse risk to drink, drive, and kill someone

I am in favor of extreme vetting for guns (age and mental health) despite the potential problems because too many young people with mental health issues are winding up with guns and killing people.

Data is data. Everything else is self serving bullshit.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #230
azeri98

Quote:
Switzerland and Israel are similarly armed.

Yes we have a mental health issue in this country. Hop on any social media site and see how people treat each other in regards to this one issue.
The Israelies have to they are surrounded by enemies, the Swiss not so sure why, they don't participate in any war, always neutral, couldn't agree with you more on the social media issue, you can insult and berate anyone you want without repercussion, people who otherwise wouldn't be get very brave behind a phone or computer and you keeping poking the wrong bear and bad things happen
Old 02-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #231
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
The Israelies have to they are surrounded by enemies, the Swiss not so sure why, they don't participate in any war, always neutral, couldn't agree with you more on the social media issue, you can insult and berate anyone you want without repercussion, people who otherwise wouldn't be get very brave behind a phone or computer and you keeping poking the wrong bear and bad things happen
Glad we completely agree on this.

Main problem for us "gun nuts" is we A) have a constitutional amendment protecting us and B) don't believe the opposition will ever negotiate in good faith with us.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #232
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Is the US still the leading ADHD medication consumer by a wide margin? We used to be about a decade ago...probably still are...

What other pharmaceuticals are US-youth taking, well above and beyond their international counterparts?
Yes not only ADHD but all medications, because the politicians are in bed with the drug companies and we are the only country that has hospitals that are a business first and for profit, unlike any other civilized country in the world, the greed in our country is unlike any other
Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #233
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I am opposed to allowing immigrants from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc.. to come to the west until they are vetted properly because the data suggests they are a higher risk.

I am in favor of drinking limitations because the data suggests kids are a worse risk to drink, drive, and kill someone

I am in favor of extreme vetting for guns (age and mental health) despite the potential problems because too many young people with mental health issues are winding up with guns and killing people.

Data is data. Everything else is self serving bullshit.
I don't have a problem with your data.

Our murder rate is lower now than during the AWB. Knives are a bigger threat than rifles. Hand guns are the biggest offender. Laws to address hand guns haven't even dented the problem thus far.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #234
azeri98

Quote:
Glad we completely agree on this.

Main problem for us "gun nuts" is we A) have a constitutional amendment protecting us and B) don't believe the opposition will ever negotiate in good faith with us.
I see your point, if you give in on the "assault rifles" then they will try to take more, there is a compromise somewhere I just don't know how you get there. I used to go shooting with my dad all the time and enjoyed it, its a rush having a powerful gun like that but for the betterment of our society, it would be better if we didn't have them, I think the quote is " Sacrifice the right of the individual for the good of the many" just my opinion, I see your point why you wouldn't want to, that's where the dilemma is
Old 02-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #235
Clocker

Democrats know that gun control could be a harmful election issue for them in some places. So they are trying to figure out how to push the issue where it helps them and get around it where it hurts them.

Quote:
Meredith Kelly, spokeswoman for the House Democrats’ campaign arm, said the party has no plan for a national messaging strategy on gun reform, citing the “geographically and culturally diverse House battlefield.”

“For some candidates, gun violence prevention could be a much-discussed issue, particularly in the suburbs or where there’s sadly been a recent gun-related tragedy,” she said. “For others, it’s just not part of the local conversation and it won’t necessarily be the first foot they put forward in terms of messaging.”
In other words, tell the people what they want to hear.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/37...-them-midterms
Old 02-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #236
classhandicapper

Quote:
I don't have a problem with your data.

Our murder rate is lower now than during the AWB. Knives are a bigger threat than rifles. Hand guns are the biggest offender. Laws to address hand guns haven't even dented the problem thus far.
There is a subtle difference.

Murders with knives will typically impact a single person and will often have a motivation that goes beyond random mental illness (robbery, passion, revenge, etc..). People are concerned about getting killed by a knife too, but feel that if they live in a good area and stay out of trouble it probably won't impact them.

Things like terrorism and random shootings in clubs and schools are more disturbing because huge numbers of innocent people can be involved and they make people feel like there's no way to protect their families, kids, and selves even if they do everything right.

Either way, a compromise has to be found. People are not going to dismiss deaths by gun just because more people get killed crossing the street.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-22-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #237
upthecreek

Archie Bunker Editorial on gun control

Old 02-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #238
FantasticDan
gelding

Old 02-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #239
Clocker

Quote:
Please read this:
The AR-15 Is Different: What I Learned Treating Parkland Victims - The Atlantic
The AR-15 is not "different". It is a rifle, and uses rifle ammo. The difference he is talking about is due to the difference between rifle ammo and pistol ammo. One would think that an experienced doctor would know that.

There is nothing unique about the AR-15 except for its look. It shoots a .223 caliber round (5.56 NATO). A lot of popular and common rifles, both bolt action and semi-automatic, use that round. Should we ban all of them?

The vast majority of rifles used for hunting use larger ammo than that, and do even more damage. The only way to avoid the "difference" he is talking about is to ban rifles.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #240
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
sometimes you have to protect society as a whole and give up some individual rights to protect the many,
I remember a guy who said that about the communists when he suspended all the rights of Germans in 1933. Then he protected them from the Jews.