Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #286
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
Taking from the poor and giving to the rich may be big where you come from.

We don't like it where I come from.
Everyday day workers are not rich -- unless of course, you mean productive workers in the10%, 12% or 22% brackets are rich compared to welfare bunnies who don't work.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #287
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
Now, let's see what the dimwits' excuse is for not wanting to pass this bill.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #288
upthecreek

More Good News

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #289
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
Very bad news for the poverty pimps.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #290
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
You really will be upset when they cut SNAP benefits and give canned USDA food. It might get to the point where people just can't afford to not work.
A lot less money for SNAP, Medicaid, CHIP, infrastructure, medical research, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, federal employees, etc. but lots of extra moolah for the wealthiest amongst us.

What can go wrong?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #291
davew

Quote:
A lot less money for SNAP, Medicaid, CHIP, infrastructure, medical research, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, federal employees, etc. but lots of extra moolah for the wealthiest amongst us.

What can go wrong?
I suspect less people overweight and health problems associated with it.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #292
boxcar

Quote:

What can go wrong?
But a lot more money in the pockets of the taxpayers who foot the bills. Shirley you can see there's not a thing wrong with that.

And we want to keep the "wealthiest amongst us" happy. Who else are people going to work for so they can pay taxes? The poor?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #293
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
But a lot more money in the pockets of the taxpayers who foot the bills. Shirley you can see there's not a thing wrong with that.

And we want to keep the "wealthiest amongst us" happy. Who else are people going to work for so they can pay taxes? The poor?

Like I told Stinks that is only one view. Obviously my view is more in line with yours, but the trillions that was sitting offshore that got repatriated and has not been repatriated yet is flowing into workers pockets and new capital projects that otherwise would not have happened. These positive effects are ongoing taking life as a process. The only thing Stinks does is complain because he is not a direct recipient. I would love to use colorful language describing Stinks thought process and motivation of posts but you guys are astute enough to come spot on in my thoughts.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #294
Clocker

Quote:
A lot less money for SNAP, Medicaid, CHIP, infrastructure, medical research, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, federal employees,
You weren't doing bad up to that point.

That doesn't include benefits.

Quote:
Comparing Benefit Packages

In 2015, according to Edwards’ analysis of BEA data, the value of benefits in federal employee compensation averaged $36,795. The average benefit package in the private sector was $11,175. According to Edwards, “That large difference stems from more federal workers receiving certain types of benefits than private workers, and from particular federal benefits being more generous than those provided in the private sector.”
Job Security

The article cites another benefit of working for Uncle Sam. Federal employees are infrequently fired. 0.5% of federal employees are fired in a year, including for poor performance and misconduct. That is one-sixth of the private-sector firing rate.
For the senior executive service, the firing rate is 0.1 percent. By comparison, about two percent of corporate CEOs are fired each year.
The “quit rate” of federal employees, often cited as a reason by the president for not approving a larger federal pay raise, is one-fourth the rate of private sector employees.
https://www.fedsmith.com/2016/09/21/...sation-123160/
Old 02-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #295
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

$49 billion surplus - FAKE news.
When you have the debt and deficit we have, there is nothing remotely close to a surplus.

This is the BS thinking that fuels the swamp.
Stop listening to these liars.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #296
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
You weren't doing bad up to that point.

That doesn't include benefits.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2016/09/21/...sation-123160/
First, the Koch boys founded the Cato Institute and your diagram comes from the Cato Institute so your diagram smells like dead fish.

Did you ever hear the saying "you get what you pay for?" If you want to take away any incentive for an extraordinary employee to work for the federal government, just keep making the job run-of the-mill.

From your linked website (not a Koch funded website - it just regurgitated what the Cato Institute claims):

Substantial Cuts to Federal Employee Benefits Proposed in FY 2019 Budget

The White House released its fiscal year 2019 budget proposal today. As expected, it contains specific proposals that would impact federal employees. One of the accompanying documents was entitled “Major Savings and Reforms” that outlined specific changes to federal employee benefits.

Reductions to Federal Retirement Benefits
Perhaps the most significant changes would be to federal retirement benefits.

link: https://www.fedsmith.com/2018/02/12/...y-2019-budget/

Just so you don't misunderstand: I am retired. Nothing that happens negatively or positively to federal employees today can hurt me. In fact, listening to Boxcar cry about the # of IRS employees means zip to me but everything to the U.S. Treasury.

The simple truth is if you don't care whether the IRS agents who audit companies like Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Exxon/Mobil, and Bill Gates know what they are doing, just keep cutting the one carrot that made federal employment a great job - benefits.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #297
Clocker

Quote:

Did you ever hear the saying "you get what you pay for?" If you want to take away any incentive for an extraordinary employee to work for the federal government, just keep making the job run-of the-mill.
But it also is a very high incentive for an non-extraodinary employee to work for the federal government. And to never leave and never get fired. Because while the extraordinary employees may deserve that level of pay, or even more, the rigid government structure pays a lot of ordinary or worse employees much more than they are worth.

There are a lot of extraordinary employees in the government sector. And a lot of average and below average employees. And I have seen no evidence that the average federal employee is that much better than the average private sector employee to justify that wage difference.

And that doesn't get into the issue that the feds have too many employees, one reason being that those employees are doing work that never should be done by the federal government.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #298
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
But it also is a very high incentive for an non-extraodinary employee to work for the federal government. And to never leave and never get fired. Because while the extraordinary employees may deserve that level of pay, or even more, the rigid government structure pays a lot of ordinary or worse employees much more than they are worth.

There are a lot of extraordinary employees in the government sector. And a lot of average and below average employees. And I have seen no evidence that the average federal employee is that much better than the average private sector employee to justify that wage difference.

And that doesn't get into the issue that the feds have too many employees, one reason being that those employees are doing work that never should be done by the federal government.
It's not possible for me to convince you. You don't believe there is any kind of pecking order where the better a federal employee is, the more the employee is paid. Plus you don't want the federal government to pay their employees decent pensions, health benefits, etc. if only because much of private industry today is too greedy to do so.

Your last paragraph is a sad joke too many people want to believe is true. Which is a big reason this country is going downhill fast IMO.

Believe me, Clocker, I get it. There have been people hating government workers long before I started working for them in 1973. In fact, some of my GOP uncles said a lot of nasty stuff over the years that I didn't appreciate. At all. But at least I could hang my hat on the fact that I did have a solid career working for Uncle Sam. Not likely anymore for federal employees today. The job keeps getting worse - less people sharing more work, lousier benefits, GOP pols treating fed employees like they are the enemy....

I'm lucky to be out.

Last edited by NJ Stinks; 02-14-2018 at 10:48 PM.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #299
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How can you talk about greed when the government has absolutely no fiscal responsibility at all?

You guys whine about the deficit and the debt and then expect private industry to operate the same way?????

Man, that is convoluted thinking.
Private industry has to answer for their payrolls. Not just raise taxes on everyone to try to cover their incompetence.

Visit us in the real world sometime.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #300
Clocker

Quote:
Your last paragraph is a sad joke too many people want to believe is true. Which is a big reason this country is going downhill fast IMO.
The country is going downhill fast because too many people believe that the government has gotten too big and controlling?

I am not going to beat my head against that brick wall.