Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-11-2023, 04:58 PM   #1
Poindexter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,939
Rookie question

As I keep making little tweaks to my numbers in Thoros, using Bris, it is just becoming more tedious to calculate my numbers. I basically come up with one number per horse per race, based off of rr, cr, speed rating, late pace, early pace etc. obviously this can all be automated. I am very happy with my ratings, I just donít like having to spend an hour calculating them. I usually play on line poker while doing so to get me through the boredom, but that probably adds another 45 minutes to the process. It would be much easier to just print out last performances with my ratings calculated. But how and of course how much.

I canít automate my harness numbers that I am even more happy with, but I can automate these.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 06:27 PM   #2
MJC922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,472
I can take a look but unless it's in excel I can't help you. No idea what 'Thoros' is.
__________________
North American Class Rankings
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Poindexter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,939
Thoros is short for thoroughbred. There is nothing to look at. I just print out Bris past performances and make calculations based on their ratings. I could be wrong but I donít think you can easily transfer their past performances into excel. I think I tried years ago and it did not work out very well. I currently do not have excel so I havenít tried recently. So I am trying to figure out how to automate the calculations. I assume I would have to pay someone to do it for me. Or maybe there is a software out there that would enable me to do it?
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 06:57 PM   #4
MJC922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,472
I thought they had a comma delimited file. You'd have to import the csv into a staging sheet in excel and then use VBA to work through it. Unless what you're doing is just very very basic, in that case maybe a custom function would suffice... still would be in vba but that's only what I'm familiar with. There are open source options I'm sure but until you get the inputs you use into a spreadsheet I don't see a way to get much traction with automation. What are you using currently, hard copy and a calculator? Maybe just an old school handheld pocket computer would help you streamline this.
__________________
North American Class Rankings

Last edited by MJC922; 11-11-2023 at 06:59 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 07:27 PM   #5
Poindexter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I thought they had a comma delimited file. You'd have to import the csv into a staging sheet in excel and then use VBA to work through it. Unless what you're doing is just very very basic, in that case maybe a custom function would suffice... still would be in vba but that's only what I'm familiar with. There are open source options I'm sure but until you get the inputs you use into a spreadsheet I don't see a way to get much traction with automation. What are you using currently, hard copy and a calculator? Maybe just an old school handheld pocket computer would help you streamline this.
I do everything on my head. You have a point I could just write a simple spreadsheet to do the calculations for me. Then it will just be data entry. Obviously I would prefer the output without all the data entry, but I might try the data entry for a while and see how it goes. Certainly will be less wear on my brain. Thanks for the input. Very common sense and I never even thought about doing it.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 08:30 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 112,096
I assume you are using the Ultimate PPs in PDF format?
The get those in comma charts, you will pay top doller for the RR and CR ratings.

With PDF, you will probably be stuck with hand entry.

I set up a spreadsheet in OO, to use PP. AQL, andD SR last race to get a siongle
power number and then creat an odds line. Just as Dick Mitchel outlined in his book.

Our good friend headhawg helped me out!

I can do a race in just a couple of minutes.
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 09:15 PM   #7
Ted
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 25
It is not clear to me what you mean when you say you use Bris. If you mean pdf I cannot help you as I have never found a method that will consistently allow you to get the data into a spreadsheet. If it is the Bris data file you can take a look at the Raybo excel spreadsheet which will give you the information in program format. The data you seem to want is there for every horse and every race. it is relatively easy to manipulate the data. If you want to take a look at it and you know someone who has excel - Bris used to have a sample data file - download the excel file and the data file and play with it a bit. it seems that this will do what you want. https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2023, 09:51 PM   #8
Poindexter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,939
Yes I mean I use bris ultimate pp in pdf format. I donít play that often(mostly carryover when I am physically up to it), so I will play around with the spreadsheet data entry I talked about in my last post. If that is still too much work I will explore other options. I will look over the stuff you guys have posted. Thanks for the input.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2023, 04:08 PM   #9
lefty359
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 726
I don't have Quick Grid by Ranchwest, but seems to me that may be what
you're looking for.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 03:44 AM   #10
Poindexter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,939
Thanks, Lefty, I will look that over as well. I programmed the spreadsheet tonight. Looks like that will work out for me. If not I have some ideas on where to look.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2023, 08:18 PM   #11
Poindexter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,939
The data entry is way too time consuming. So I am back to square one. I am not a programmer so I am unable to use MJC's advice in this and the other thread about extracting the data into a spreadsheet. I can get the data into a spreadsheet but all I see is a whole bunch of numbers and symbols. Basically here is what I want. I have a spreadsheet written or I can rewrite one.. I need the following variables for each horse in each race to be transfered into a spreadsheet (excel is fine)

horses name, Distance, surface, RR, CR, LP, SPD, the 2nd call(+ or -), the 2nd call lengths behind and finish lengths behind. Anybody capable of doing it for me, pm me with a price and what I would need to do to transfer a data file into the excel program you program and I will determine if I want to pay for it to be done. If it is too expensive I will just stick with harness racing (will likely save me money anyhow). I want to handicap I don't want to type in 200 numbers per race. But I need the output to handicap the way I want to handicap.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2023, 10:51 PM   #12
MJC922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
The data entry is way too time consuming. So I am back to square one. I am not a programmer so I am unable to use MJC's advice in this and the other thread about extracting the data into a spreadsheet. I can get the data into a spreadsheet but all I see is a whole bunch of numbers and symbols. Basically here is what I want. I have a spreadsheet written or I can rewrite one.. I need the following variables for each horse in each race to be transfered into a spreadsheet (excel is fine)

horses name, Distance, surface, RR, CR, LP, SPD, the 2nd call(+ or -), the 2nd call lengths behind and finish lengths behind. Anybody capable of doing it for me, pm me with a price and what I would need to do to transfer a data file into the excel program you program and I will determine if I want to pay for it to be done. If it is too expensive I will just stick with harness racing (will likely save me money anyhow). I want to handicap I don't want to type in 200 numbers per race. But I need the output to handicap the way I want to handicap.
Sorry but there's not enough detail for me to help you out, I don't know what RR is. Distance today or distance last race etc? Are we talking about BRIS data?

If it's a BRIS data file then go here and identify the columns you need:
https://support.brisnet.com/hc/en-us...e-File-format-

For example HorseName is column 45 as shown:
*** Horse History Data ***

45 Horse Name CHARACTER 25

So when you download the spreadsheet I posted, in Sheet2 notice col-45 is already there, so that one is done.

Late Pace for the individual horse is in 816 through 825 for the last 10 races. So type col-816 into Sheet2 cell H1 and so on. You just have to keep adding the columns you need and then edit the macro so it encompasses all of the columns you've added.

By editing the Macro I mean in Macro1:

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:BCD300").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
CopyToRange:=Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1:G1"), Unique:=False


The A1:G1 would need to be changed to A1:H1 because you've added col-816 to H1.

It's not that bad really. I don't think you need to pay anyone for that but I can try to assist further if needed.
__________________
North American Class Rankings

Last edited by MJC922; 11-29-2023 at 10:59 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2023, 10:56 PM   #13
Dave S
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 54
I believe "RR" refers to the Bris Race Rating.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2023, 12:27 AM   #14
MJC922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
I believe "RR" refers to the Bris Race Rating.
Hmm, is that included in the BRIS single file format? I don't see it listed on the structure page. I apologize I don't use BRIS data so I'm clueless on this. Maybe a different type of data file can be used instead or another vendor's file like Trackmaster or HDW.
__________________
North American Class Rankings
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2023, 12:45 AM   #15
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk
 
Speed Figure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Compton, CA!
Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Hmm, is that included in the BRIS single file format? I don't see it listed on the structure page. I apologize I don't use BRIS data so I'm clueless on this. Maybe a different type of data file can be used instead or another vendor's file like Trackmaster or HDW.
It's not in the single file, it's in the multicaps files.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How do you primarily find bettable horses?
Make a formal odds line - 21.70%
23 Votes
Rank the horses in order of preference & compare it to the odds - 21.70%
23 Votes
Feel - 12.26%
13 Votes
Only play against short priced horses I dislike - 5.66%
6 Votes
Look for value oriented trips, angles, situations - 33.02%
35 Votes
Other (describe) - 5.66%
6 Votes
Total Votes: 106
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2023 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.