Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-30-2023, 06:45 AM   #16
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
It's not in the single file, it's in the multicaps files.
Ah ok, I see, $5 instead of $1. It figures.

So OP we have column 826-835 for your RR:
https://support.brisnet.com/hc/en-us...ile-MULTICAPS-

I think OP you probably get the idea, there will be no data entry required if this is done right. It eventually may take some effort and some vba to get the data to be 'presentable' but when it's all said and done it won't require any data entry, just download the multicaps file and import. I can help a little bit (time permitting) maybe someone else will be able to help also.

Last edited by MJC922; 11-30-2023 at 06:57 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2023, 05:37 PM   #17
Poindexter

$5 a card is definitely a game changer. One of my hopes was to be able to get a quick synopsis of 2 or 3 cards a day and focus on some good betting opportunities. This non rebated bettor, isn't going $15 in the hole just for the privilege. Also even if I wanted to pay that much, I have to handicap from both the ultimate PP's and the spreadsheet, or copy the output of the spreadsheet to the ultimate PP's, which is also work. I may have to revisit my approach to capping. Thanks for the input folks.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2023, 08:10 PM   #18
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
$5 a card is definitely a game changer. One of my hopes was to be able to get a quick synopsis of 2 or 3 cards a day and focus on some good betting opportunities. This non rebated bettor, isn't going $15 in the hole just for the privilege. Also even if I wanted to pay that much, I have to handicap from both the ultimate PP's and the spreadsheet, or copy the output of the spreadsheet to the ultimate PP's, which is also work. I may have to revisit my approach to capping. Thanks for the input folks.
Understood, take your time. I was going to put some effort into it on Saturday morning to allow for the multi-caps import and that would give you the subset of columns you're looking for in Sheet2 but I'll just hold off on it for now. Maybe you can rework what you're doing to leave out the RR.

Frankly I'm surprised the RR isn't included in this file when they do apparently include what I think is considered to be their 'flagship' rating (prime power) in col-251. Although the difference is adding the RR would be another block of ten columns.

You could email BRIS, maybe they'll add it. They seem to have room, 706-716 are reserved, 826-845 are reserved, 1016-1035 etc. No idea what they could possibly put in all of these reserved columns.

I would also consider thinking through if you really need to add anything back to the ultimate PPs from excel. If I were you I would be planning your requirements such that nearly everything you need to handicap the race is front of you in excel after the import.

There's also maybe other vendors to consider, possibly Equibase/Trackmaster have some csv on a similar level. I think BRIS is solid, years ago I used them quite a bit but maybe some of the others have closed the gap.

Last edited by MJC922; 11-30-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:26 PM   #19
Poindexter

Thanks Mjc. At this point I am trying to figure out if voice dictation of the numbers into the cells will be a palatable solution for me. I really like the Bris Ultimate PP's and I am a pen and paper capper(have been since I was 5). The only thing missing is my final number. Thus the reason I started the thread. Here in Vegas, they let you but a racing form (either west coast or east coast) for $3.50. One day I was at a sports book and decided to buy one for the next days races at Hawthorne. I tried handicapping with it and the numbers were not making any sense (I assume those are Beyers in that edition). True story, I did not bet the card, I did handicap some and when I saw the results, I was glad I didn't bet). I have just become very accustomed to the Bris product).

It looks like it is going to work. The next card I cap I am going to try to use the voice dictation for the entire card and see how long it takes me. It is a lot easier than typing in all of the data. It is an easy process and I can even do it in Libre Calc (which I currently have my spreadsheet written in). Just hit the windows and H key, put the cursor in the cell I want it, call out the number, move the cursor into the next cell, call out the number. If this works and I suspect it will, I may be good. I appreciate you trying to help me. If anyone knows of a way to get it to the next cell without using the cursor, that would be even easier, but I can live with moving the cursor if I have to.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

There might be a plan for Multicap files for 2-3 dollars with a monthly minimum of maybe $20?
Old 12-08-2023, 08:37 PM   #21
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
There might be a plan for Multicap files for 2-3 dollars with a monthly minimum of maybe $20?
Multicaps has all the Ultimate PP data? I was under the impression that only the $14 files (ALL-Ways, etc.) would give you that.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:31 PM   #22
Poindexter

Just an update. Even with voice dictation the entering of data is just too tiring and time consuming. Poster Normantd, reached out to me per my request above and created a program that did what I want for an extremely fair price. I have to do a little programming on my end (mutual agreement to keep the cost down) but this is awesome for me. Also as mentioned by Tom above, Bris has a deal on the multicap files, that if you spend a $20 buck a month fee you can download the multicap files $2 per track per day. That is very fair imo. Basically if you are going to download over 7 files a month it saves you money. Hopefully with the amount of time this program will save me I will be able to download a lot more than 7 cards. (whether a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen ) I did not want fancy past performances, I can already get those. It was the quick calculation of my numbers (what they currently are and what they may evolve to in the future) that I needed. With this program I can easily copy and paste the data I need into a spreadsheet. Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks to MJC, I appreciate your offer to help me out above, but I know you are busy and I know I do not have the ability to create a program like you were willing to try to help me do. So I would have been wasting your time. As Clint Eastwood once said, Man must know his limitations.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:26 PM   #23
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Just an update. Even with voice dictation the entering of data is just too tiring and time consuming. Poster Normantd, reached out to me per my request above and created a program that did what I want for an extremely fair price. I have to do a little programming on my end (mutual agreement to keep the cost down) but this is awesome for me. Also as mentioned by Tom above, Bris has a deal on the multicap files, that if you spend a $20 buck a month fee you can download the multicap files $2 per track per day. That is very fair imo. Basically if you are going to download over 7 files a month it saves you money. Hopefully with the amount of time this program will save me I will be able to download a lot more than 7 cards. (whether a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen ) I did not want fancy past performances, I can already get those. It was the quick calculation of my numbers (what they currently are and what they may evolve to in the future) that I needed. With this program I can easily copy and paste the data I need into a spreadsheet. Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks to MJC, I appreciate your offer to help me out above, but I know you are busy and I know I do not have the ability to create a program like you were willing to try to help me do. So I would have been wasting your time. As Clint Eastwood once said, Man must know his limitations.
It sounds like you found something that meets your needs and that's the important thing. I'm very happy to hear that. I wish you guys much success at the windows in 2024 and good health. If anything comes up on the wishlist and you're stuck I'll do what I can to assist.

Last edited by MJC922; 12-15-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #24
46zilzal
velocitician

REALISTICALLY and for sure: there is a LONG apprentice spell in learning this game, FIRST in how to properly BET, then how to properly evaluate a field of horses.

MOST people haven't a clue how to bet as they have traditionally spent too little time in that apprenticeship doing such a thing

If you want to be successful, you have to PLAY ON PAPER for quite a while until you"get it."
Old 12-19-2023, 08:41 AM   #25
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
REALISTICALLY and for sure: there is a LONG apprentice spell in learning this game, FIRST in how to properly BET, then how to properly evaluate a field of horses.

MOST people haven't a clue how to bet as they have traditionally spent too little time in that apprenticeship doing such a thing

If you want to be successful, you have to PLAY ON PAPER for quite a while until you"get it."
What exactly does this post have to do with the subject at hand? think I am well past the play on paper stage. I hope .That being said, given the current state of the game my focus is primarily scores. Grinding is a little futile when caws are getting double digit rebates and I am not.That being said, I still see a lot of good opportunities and I hit some. But putting in $100 to $200 in the right carryover situations is my focus. To be honest I have probably been my own worst enemy this year. Poor execution has been my theme. But hey if I do not win long run that is okay too. I bet comfortable amounts of money, love the game and play it when I can. My biggest obstacle in this game is actual fatigue and battle fatigue. It has always been that way. I have always worked full time and this game is not easy to beat when you cannot put the proper energy into it. This program will help me a lot with the physical fatigue. I am finalizing my program, taking a couple of weeks off and looking forward to 2024. Honestly, do not get the paper bet thing. Just bet small. They have minimums that are appropriate for around the time Seabiscuit was running. If you are not experiencing the pain every time you lose or let a nice score slip away, you are not going to grow imo.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:46 PM   #26
wiretowire68

Question

I was curious about something on this old thread in terms of Brisnet Past Performance entry and the data structure files from Brisnet in terms of codes or coding used in order to input into a spreadsheet. The data structure they give, may I ask you or anybody, how is this written into the spread sheet by each number. Like, do you go into your spreadsheet empty and type these right into an individual cell or do you make a macro for each number?? If I do this will allow for an import right into the spreadsheet. Right now, I cut and paste the basic stuff like horse name, jockey. M/L.. etc. I have used raybos spreadsheet in the past but he set it up Pizzola speed/Pace etc. I have developed my own speed rating alg as well as forecasting etc into my template that I have developed, however, I have always desired to have the Past performance in the spreadsheet and then design my macros from that. This is why I am asking about the codes Brisnet provides?

Help.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2024, 05:51 PM   #27
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
I was curious about something on this old thread in terms of Brisnet Past Performance entry and the data structure files from Brisnet in terms of codes or coding used in order to input into a spreadsheet. The data structure they give, may I ask you or anybody, how is this written into the spread sheet by each number. Like, do you go into your spreadsheet empty and type these right into an individual cell or do you make a macro for each number?? If I do this will allow for an import right into the spreadsheet. Right now, I cut and paste the basic stuff like horse name, jockey. M/L.. etc. I have used raybos spreadsheet in the past but he set it up Pizzola speed/Pace etc. I have developed my own speed rating alg as well as forecasting etc into my template that I have developed, however, I have always desired to have the Past performance in the spreadsheet and then design my macros from that. This is why I am asking about the codes Brisnet provides?

Help.
Code is far superior.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2024, 06:58 PM   #28
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post

Help.
A macro can be used to import the data. Somewhere I posted a spreadsheet to demonstrate that. The macro is just a one-liner to import. Once the data is imported then you can do something with it, e.g. create a user-defined function with multiple parameters, each parameter would be a different input to the function, one might be distance, the next might be time in seconds, the third might be lengths back, whatever, then inside the function it might convert all of that into velocity. The velocity might then be the output return value of the function which you might want to display in a new column/row on another worksheet or even just be fed into another second function as a parameter to whatever goes on inside the second function, maybe that second function looks up the par on another worksheet and subtracts the velocity from the par velocity for a segment. All sorts of things you can do with code/vba but it's not going to be trivial for someone without coding experience. It's not even all that trivial for someone with some experience in terms of the amount of time that needs to be spent in order to have something that's robust in terms of say error checking and re-usable on a daily basis. You kind of have to really 'hit the books' hard or pay someone to do what you want done. I wish it were easier. Many people would be surprised at how much time a person might have to spend coding what most people would assume is a completely basic function. When you're there with just pen and paper and a calculator for example and you see that 'lost rider' line you just skip that race and ignore all of those dashes in the running line. Well 'code' blows up on those dashes so now you're forced to do something special inside the function when a dash is there, things like that, it's hard to describe until you get knee-deep into it but it's never as simple as it seems.

Last edited by MJC922; 01-08-2024 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:29 AM   #29
wiretowire68

Trust Me

I know. I just do not understand what Brisnet has published in their questions and info section regarding their different styles of pp's. I guess it is truly the idea of creating what formulator, trackmaster, PostTime, etc. Brisnet, a pp generator that can then take out the info you as a handicapper distinctly does. Like Dave Schwartz with his toolbox software or anybody who has tried. Even importing the pdf file into a spreadsheet without vba or experience of coding there is so much that has to be done in order for it to look remotely like a Brisnet custom pp generator or formulator etc. I have designed template with a lot of macro work and still working on it but man when I go to handicap a race it still takes a very long time. I am still a gut instinct player but love software, spreadsheet like anyone to show the fact is the fact on certain horses.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:41 AM   #30
wiretowire68

Yes Dave, I know but learning coding then actually understanding what it does is another thing when it comes to inputting something. I am a past performance guy and still believe that most handicapping knowledge comes from that info.
Everything else in pen and paper, or messing around with complex types of functions and math and a million angles that can be considered i.e. oh this horse takes a crap during the post parade and hits the board 17% (kidding) or the 200 angles that Tom Ainslie considers in his first book or how some guys considered where the money is going into the pool i.e. the whale pool or the syndicate types.
Ultimately a horse winning is a horse winning, the whale considers 4/5 an awesome price..fine. A horse of value is in the beholder of the bet. A horse rises or falls based on the people who create that morning line. It goes up or down based on the money and who gets ignored or not ignored based the amount of knowledge being processed. Obviously that is foregone conclusion but as a horseplayer, I love past performance info with my ideas, getting a pp into a spreadsheet is not the be all to end all for me. I have Valuecapper 2.0 it is awesome but data costs.
Having your own systems based on my feel and the knowledge that has been passed down and learned from others is part of the enjoyment of handicapping. I want to be the one to make the mistake.. but I also want my own system to base it on that I just decided on the wrong horse not because my numbers were good. Simple

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: