Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 09-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

New breed of AIO PCs

I kind of want one of these...

https://www.digitalstorm.com/aura.asp

A couple of companies are basically selling the same PC as above...what's interesting is that you can upgrade the major components (video card, HD, ram, etc)...they don't use proprietary components...even the motherboards are swappable on the above.

And because they use components such as the NVIDIA GeForce 1080, they seem to be pretty awesome gaming machines, unlike the anemic-all-in ones of recent years.

The only drawback seems to be the 34" curved screen...it doesn't get stellar reviews, and for the price of these systems and the size of that screen, I'd like something that is going to knock me out of my socks in terms of the display.

Maybe the next generation will give me what I'm looking for...

I used to build my own PCs, but I got tired of that...bought an Alienware years back and have been happy with it, but am itching to upgrade to a new system again.

And I always gear my rigs towards gaming systems, which is weird since I don't play PC games anywhere near where I used to...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-10-2017 at 12:57 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

This does seem sharp PA! Thanks for the link

Any advice for a person who wants a great laptop, without a major sticker shock?
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I kind of want one of these...

https://www.digitalstorm.com/aura.asp

A couple of companies are basically selling the same PC as above...what's interesting is that you can upgrade the major components (video card, HD, ram, etc)...they don't use proprietary components...even the motherboards are swappable on the above.

And because they use components such as the NVIDIA GeForce 1080, they seem to be pretty awesome gaming machines, unlike the anemic-all-in ones of recent years.

The only drawback seems to be the 34" curved screen...it doesn't get stellar reviews, and for the price of these systems and the size of that screen, I'd like something that is going to knock me out of my socks in terms of the display.

Maybe the next generation will give me what I'm looking for...

I used to build my own PCs, but I got tired of that...bought an Alienware years back and have been happy with it, but am itching to upgrade to a new system again.

And I always gear my rigs towards gaming systems, which is weird since I don't play PC games anywhere near where I used to...
PA...If it isnt broke ........etc etc

I too build computers , if your not using CPU intense applications...then save your money....
The earlier AIO were all integrated and if something went...the whole thing got tossed...My bro had one and luckily his HD went and thats the only thing I could have fixed...saved him $800 bucks

for the money they want..I'd build my own , its just a ego thing

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
I'm the same way. I built last year and had to go for the gold with components including the fairly new 1070GTX at the time. Then I buy a bunch of pretty games that sound interesting and the only thing I ever play is something glacially slow like Civilization because that's about my max speed. Funnier still, I loaded it with Linux which means a performance hit for most games that even run on it.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Now I'm looking at a Corsair ONE...not an AIO...but still pretty damn expensive at $2,000+ for a good setup.

Add hundreds of dollars more for a 4k display on top of it...

Who the hell knows anymore...

But one thing is for sure. You really don't save much money trying to build your own system these days. It really is starting to make sense to buy something pre-built, but something you CAN mod yourself later.

Unfortunately, the Corsair ONE, while a very nice machine, doesn't lend itself, due to the small case, towards friendly, end-user upgrading.

Do I really need a GTX 1080 Ti?

Probably not...the question becomes, save money today and upgrade sooner down the line, or spend more money today and give yourself another year or two with the original configuration?

Who the hell knows?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oh, and PS...I know the thread title is wrong...these aren't really a new breed of AIO...they've been around for a good year or so...
Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
mikesal57
Veteran

They get you with pre-builts because the motherboards , most likely, cant be updated to newer or faster processors...
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
dlgreg

Quote:
It really is starting to make sense to buy something pre-built, but something you CAN mod yourself later.
Mike,
Have you looked at some of the boutique computer builders? You can select your components from standard computer parts and they assemble and test. I've used Puget Custom Computers before, but there are others.
dlgreg
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

For the record, I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/one

And one of these:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/NZ/conten...tor-x34-series
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
mikesal57
Veteran

SHOW OFF!!!!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
For the record, I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/one

And one of these:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/NZ/conten...tor-x34-series
What games are you playing? .......nice choices👍
Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

FPS are some of my favorite...but I've been out of the gaming loop for a while...figured I'd try and jump back in...

I'm expecting this setup to last me about the same amount of time my last system did....seven+ years

That sounds like a lot, but the system I bought 7 years ago is STILL pretty fast...maybe not so much for AAA game titles of 2017, but for just about everything else, it's good...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-24-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

And BTW, my current monitor is a 22 inch old-ass Samsung, sporting 1680x1050 resolution, and my graphics card is a GeForce GTX 260....

So don't be too jealous of the new rig I just bought...it was a LONG time coming...7+ years...

When you aren't gaming, you just don't need the latest and the greatest...
Old 09-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #14
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I build my own, once every 6-7 years and try not to spend more than 600.

Been working out very well. Only upgrade to old Betsy was a $100 graphics card a few years ago , that runs my 40" 4k screen + 2 others without a hiccup.

Latest and greatest is mostly hype , for 99.9% of the public.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
And BTW, my current monitor is a 22 inch old-ass Samsung, sporting 1680x1050 resolution, and my graphics card is a GeForce GTX 260....

So don't be too jealous of the new rig I just bought...it was a LONG time coming...7+ years...

When you aren't gaming, you just don't need the latest and the greatest...
I have a Sony PlayStation I rarely use. I don’t have the dexterity in my hands anymore. Even though I think the controllers are very nice. I just suck at the games. I do like Call of Duty, but I suck.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: