Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:48 PM   #2011
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

And The Oscar Goes To ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Andy, I don't want to belabor this. Goodness knows Twitter already has. But one thing. IF he was CLEAR. Why didn't he cross in front of instead of carrying him out?
Johnny V is a HOF jock and one heck of an actor....carried him out?...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 05:26 AM   #2012
lamboguy

Quote:
Andy, I don't want to belabor this. Goodness knows Twitter already has. But one thing. IF he was CLEAR. Why didn't he cross in front of instead of carrying him out?
this horse had no business coming down, that's all i know and i got put up in the race. there are probably 100,000 races prior to this one that never came down in Cally for the same thing.

is this a reason to quit betting on So. Call? the answer is only if you are consistently betting against Bob Baffert for value, or just because you like to bet against him. i am sure many people fit those categories even though i don't
I also think that there must be a better system out there to find impartial judges who can make fair decisions for people that put up their money and pay a hefty takeout.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 05:34 AM   #2013
lamboguy

i feel badly for Samantha Siegal too for this to happen to her twice in the same day. she is one classy lady, i never see her complain after all these years. she also is a great supporter of the sport and her father was the same before her. i actually root for her to do well with her horses and her personal life which i have heard lately has been going very well.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 05:53 AM   #2014
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i feel badly for Samantha Siegal too for this to happen to her twice in the same day. she is one classy lady, i never see her complain after all these years. she also is a great supporter of the sport and her father was the same before her. i actually root for her to do well with her horses and her personal life which i have heard lately has been going very well.
Samantha is awesome. Everyone loves her on Horse Racing Twitter.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #2015
Bustin Stones

My Pet Peeve

There should be more DQ'ing, not less. I dislike it when Irad bears in or lugs out in the stretch at just the right moment to discourage a rival. My buddy reminds me that Shoemaker did this all the time. What? Because it was allowed 50 years ago we need to allow it today?
Drayden's mount blocked his rival. How coincidental that he knew the fav was on his right shoulder and his mount repeatedly took that path. These are world class jockeys. Simulating an inability to control one's mount is a tactic. And stewards should be less sympathetic to that plea.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #2016
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
There should be more DQ'ing, not less. I dislike it when Irad bears in or lugs out in the stretch at just the right moment to discourage a rival. My buddy reminds me that Shoemaker did this all the time. What? Because it was allowed 50 years ago we need to allow it today?
Drayden's mount blocked his rival. How coincidental that he knew the fav was on his right shoulder and his mount repeatedly took that path. These are world class jockeys. Simulating an inability to control one's mount is a tactic. And stewards should be less sympathetic to that plea.
His horse did all the work in the race dueling and still winning. Both horses were tired. If you let the Stewards expand their powers, which is what was done here then they will reorder the entire race.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #2017
Bustin Stones

If the Stewards cannot reorder the race, why do we need Stewards? The reason they hire those Stewards and not you or I is that those folks exercise judgement based on experiences neither you nor I possess.
I have no love for officials in any sport. So much of football, basketball and soccer is working on officials' perception of events to either bully an opponent or to draw fouls. Simulation is rampant. However, when the number of replay angles equals what race track Stewards have at their disposal, the chances of getting it wrong shrinks.
Perhaps their decision doesn't agree with precedence. If only precedence mattered, baseball would still be in the dead ball era and there would be no forward pass in football.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #2018
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Right. But, the horse was clear
Are there any rules about a jockey using his whip to hit another horse on their nose as they are trying to pass?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #2019
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Are there any rules about a jockey using his whip to hit another horse on their nose as they are trying to pass?
He was flagging his horse without whipping at the end. He was clear. Nothing wrong with what he did.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:39 PM   #2020
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Yes, If a jockey strikes a rival horse anywhere on it's body, whether intentional or accidental that horse SHALL be disqualified.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #2021
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Yes, If a jockey strikes a rival horse anywhere on it's body, whether intentional or accidental that horse SHALL be disqualified.
Depends on the jurisdiction, right? I know I've heard it was not automatic somwhere.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2022, 01:26 PM   #2022
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Depends on the jurisdiction, right? I know I've heard it was not automatic somwhere.
Not an automatic DQ in NY. Can't speak for anywhere else.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2022, 03:16 PM   #2023
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I hesitated when I wrote SHALL.

I know it's not automatic in some jurisdictions.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #2024
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
There is no universe where this horse comes down. The CHRB Stewards are getting more and more involved in the outcome of races far beyond what they're supposed to be doing. The likely did this to punish Van Dyke and probably to put Baffert up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bZW0VReqY

Want to know what the Owner thinks?

https://twitter.com/jayemesssam/stat...78806740127744
I think this was correct. Here's what you guys are missing. The horse only won by 3/4 of a length. Three times, the first place finisher altered course. All three of them were to the right, and all three of them caused the second place finisher to take up sharply as he was trying to move on the leader. Did those three fouls cost the 2nd place finisher 3/4 of a length? Yeah, they did.

Now, the response is "the second place finisher was anticipating. He hadn't come alongside yet and there was no physical contact". But I would respond to that, you get that call if it happens once, especially in a race with a lot of traffic. Stewards announcements that there was no foul because the jockey "anticipated an opening that did not materialize" are common.

But you don't get that call when you do it three times. Otherwise, you've just legalized herding in the stretch. The first place finisher was required to keep a straight course and afford the second place finisher an opportunity to catch him. Three times he did not do that, and all three of them required the jockey on the second place finisher to seriously alter course.

Legit DQ.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #2025
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think this was correct. Here's what you guys are missing. The horse only won by 3/4 of a length. Three times, the first place finisher altered course. All three of them were to the right, and all three of them caused the second place finisher to take up sharply as he was trying to move on the leader. Did those three fouls cost the 2nd place finisher 3/4 of a length? Yeah, they did.

Now, the response is "the second place finisher was anticipating. He hadn't come alongside yet and there was no physical contact". But I would respond to that, you get that call if it happens once, especially in a race with a lot of traffic. Stewards announcements that there was no foul because the jockey "anticipated an opening that did not materialize" are common.

But you don't get that call when you do it three times. Otherwise, you've just legalized herding in the stretch. The first place finisher was required to keep a straight course and afford the second place finisher an opportunity to catch him. Three times he did not do that, and all three of them required the jockey on the second place finisher to seriously alter course.

Legit DQ.
This has never ever been called. Never.