Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
redlandb

2 Days Rest- Possible

I'm taking a look at a couple races from Crooked River, and some of the horses are running on as little as 2 days rest. How much does this hamper them? A lot a little? Any opinion is appreciated.
redlandb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
RunForTheRoses

My inclination is that it is not good. Not unprecedented though, former NY trainer Murray Garren would run horses on only a few days rest.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
My inclination is that it is not good. Not unprecedented though, former NY trainer Murray Garren would run horses on only a few days rest.
Yeah, but Garren was a madman.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
forced89

My recollection is that back in the late 50s (or early 60s) a horse named Joe Top won a stake race in Ohio on a Friday; shipped overnight; and won a stake race on Saturday (the next day) at the old Cahokia Downs.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
camourous

Rudy Rodriguez does it from time to time.

In 2012 he trained Willy Beamin who won the Albany Stakes at Saratoga on August 22nd, then won the Kings Bishop on August 25th on 2 days rest
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
WALLENDA

Reminds me of what Dutrow did with El Real Madrid...

The horse race 3 times in 9 days at Saratoga back in 2010. .

https://www.equibase.com/profiles/Re...istry=T&rbt=TB
WALLENDA is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
WALLENDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz and Boltz View Post
Yeah, but Garren was a madman.
Anytime I see his name I think of Jacksonport and Federal Funds..
WALLENDA is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlandb View Post
I'm taking a look at a couple races from Crooked River, and some of the horses are running on as little as 2 days rest. How much does this hamper them? A lot a little? Any opinion is appreciated.
Physically?

Probably doesn't hamper them at all.

For it was a common theme 20 or 30 years ago that runners at small tracks who raced only on weekends, and for short meets especially, would run on consecutive days.

A few horses dotted around would win on consecutive days, and they would make a big deal of it whenever it happened.

I can recall one horse in the mid-1980's who started 9 times in a month, at a race meet that probably had 12 or 14 dates that month. The horse ran 19 times in a 42-day race meet and shipped to somewhere else for 3 starts during that season.

In addition, to prep for that endeavor, he raced 3 times in 3 days at a small meet which only had 3 race days.

Beginning a 4 1/2-month period, the horse ran those 3 consecutive days, and then on 6 separate occasions he ran on 2 consecutive days during those 4 1/2 months.

If they can bring harness horses back for 2 or more heats in a day, a Thoroughbred running 2 days in a row should be a non-issue. Furthermore, while horse racing has devolved considerably over the past 30 years, the fitness of the average horse probably hasn't deteriorated at anywhere near to the same trajectory.

Because purses are so much more significant today than they were decades ago, particularly for the cheaper set, the seeming urgency for horses to run so often has diminished considerably in most circles. That just doesn't apply as much to the horses on tiny fair circuits. Although in Oregon the purses at the fairs are boosted by the account wagering companies who have hubs in that state.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLENDA View Post
I think of Peat Moss , who he trained to almost beat John Henry with odds,that I think, were like 50-1.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLENDA View Post

Me too (and Peat Moss and Gil Puentes). I was at Aqueduct when Jacksonport won a minor stake. Had claimed him from Thomas Bohannon and Loblolly.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
betovernetcapper

From 1800-to 1850, racing was conducted in 2 to 4 mile heats, & the first horse to win two heats was the winner. These were conducted on the same day & with multiple horses you could have 3 or more heats on the same day.
By those standards racing 2 races on consecutive days is a piece of cake.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
dilanesp

My favorite it Woody winning the Met Mile in 1:33 and chsnge with Conquistador Cielo, and then coming back 5 days later to win the Belmont by the length of the grandstand.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
My favorite it Woody winning the Met Mile in 1:33 and chsnge with Conquistador Cielo, and then coming back 5 days later to win the Belmont by the length of the grandstand.
+1

CC is my all-time favorite short rest example, and he put up an achievement that modern day horses will never match.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
sour grapes
Veteran

cant be done anymore

as the races are now on the same day instead of 5 days apart.

Last edited by sour grapes; 07-16-2017 at 10:17 AM.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
Hambletonian

I have actually been to the Crooked River Roundup...and many other fairs, and racing on even consecutive days is not completely unheard of. Keep in mind they are running sprints on a short track, and these fair jockeys out west take it easy on the turns, so you are full out for 2-3 furlongs at best.

Also note that as these fairs scramble to fill fields, you end up with many entrants racing out of conditions, like an open race with maidens and NW2L types. Allowance races open to the world, etc. Many uncompetitive entrants, leading to less than taxing runs for the winners. I would say if the horse did not race well first time out I would not look for much improvement a day later.

Steelwood, of whom I am sure more than a few folks here remember from back in the day, won consecutive races at Keystone and Pocono Downs, when the racing secretary at the latter apparently refused to allow him to scratch.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: