Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #376
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
However, we will get to see if all the owners/trainers at Belmont now that usually ship to Saratoga bring as many horses (if any) when it will cost them a lot more.
Doesn't NYRA take care of shipping horses from Belmont to Saratoga? I thought they did...maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #377
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Doesn't NYRA take care of shipping horses from Belmont to Saratoga? I thought they did...maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
they do the day before the race that you entered
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #378
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Twice as many posts, from essentially the same people repeating the same uneducated drivel, since a new thread was started announcing Belmont was opening.

Pretty telling.
What did we get wrong?

It's definitely "telling" about you that you come in, drop some vague insults without any substance or backup, and then leave without actually offering any information.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #379
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
What did we get wrong?

It's definitely "telling" about you that you come in, drop some vague insults without any substance or backup, and then leave without actually offering any information.
Offering no information is probably a lot better then idle speculation...

Although not quite as entertaining...
Old 05-17-2020, 08:40 PM   #380
burnsy
self medicated

https://www.news10.com/top-stories/h...ng-and-summer/
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #381
Elkchester Road

Quote:
I've wonder if the Belmont parking lot will be open.

I might consider a lawn chair, a few beers, and a seat in the parking lot to watch them come out of the turn if it's a nice enough day.
I hope you get the opportunity to.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #382
Suff
Beat up 💪

Off handed. If its the same ,owners can go into paddock & winners circle, Saratoga might be a killer Whitney type throw-back meet for the Elites.

Turf club terrace only for the regal. Sol Kumin 6 feet away from Don Little and such.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 11:06 PM   #383
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
You’re pretty thick. They have homes here. No one will probably be at the track. But if their horses d. Reality..... you really should try it sometime.
For the record, to anyone. I played horses with Burnsy 2 cards in a row ,
at Saratoga, and he’s funny and easy going.

Im like wtf? Burnsy ? You’re dropping bombs about Saratoga. Why so mad?

Last edited by Suff; 05-17-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 01:22 AM   #384
drib

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Don't bother. All the experts, that know little to nothing about Saratoga, aren't listening.
I think we would all agree that there will be no fans allowed should Saratoga run. Without the usual influx of crowds, I do not see much economic benefit to the town's economy. NYRA's position seems to be that the increased handle via the Saratoga "brand" will overcome obstacles such as a boutique Monmouth meet, possible Kee summer, moving costs imposed upon struggling (no races for past 3 mos.) NY horsemen, and the movement of thousands from a high viral zone. I think there is another possible explanation for this NYRA position. The new Belmont hockey arena is currently under construction. The original target date for completion was the start of the 2021 hockey season. Belmont live racing does interfere with construction, thus last year some post times were moved back to 3PM, and racing shifted to Aqueduct earlier than usual. The virus has stalled all Belmont arena construction for 3 months now, with the latest ok date to restart work June 7. It is fair to conclude that this lost time puts a huge crimp in arena plans. Should racing stay at Belmont, instead of a Toga move, that will increase the problem. While Cuomo has no love for racing, he does seem invested in this new arena development. I wonder if many parties want a Saratoga move to help get this virus delayed project finished on time.

Last edited by drib; 05-18-2020 at 01:26 AM.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 02:02 AM   #385
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by drib View Post
I think we would all agree that there will be no fans allowed should Saratoga run.
I don't necessarily agree...a lot can happen between now and then.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:04 AM   #386
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by drib View Post
I think we would all agree that there will be no fans allowed should Saratoga run. Without the usual influx of crowds, I do not see much economic benefit to the town's economy. NYRA's position seems to be that the increased handle via the Saratoga "brand" will overcome obstacles such as a boutique Monmouth meet, possible Kee summer, moving costs imposed upon struggling (no races for past 3 mos.) NY horsemen, and the movement of thousands from a high viral zone. I think there is another possible explanation for this NYRA position. The new Belmont hockey arena is currently under construction. The original target date for completion was the start of the 2021 hockey season. Belmont live racing does interfere with construction, thus last year some post times were moved back to 3PM, and racing shifted to Aqueduct earlier than usual. The virus has stalled all Belmont arena construction for 3 months now, with the latest ok date to restart work June 7. It is fair to conclude that this lost time puts a huge crimp in arena plans. Should racing stay at Belmont, instead of a Toga move, that will increase the problem. While Cuomo has no love for racing, he does seem invested in this new arena development. I wonder if many parties want a Saratoga move to help get this virus delayed project finished on time.
Surprised the construction of the new arena wasn't deemed "essential."

A lot of other construction has continued during this period of tranquility.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #387
drib

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree...a lot can happen between now and then.
Cuomo's comments at the end of April pretty much sealed the deal on no fans at Saratoga: https://dailygazette.com/article/202...ovid-19-crisis
Note that since this article the NY State Fair has been cancelled.
Major league baseball is now considering a fan-less 80 game season, extending through October. Given that Saratoga attendees, moving all around, are far more mobile than baseball stadium fans, it is fair to conclude the Toga stands will be empty this summer.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #388
drib

Quote:
Surprised the construction of the new arena wasn't deemed "essential."

A lot of other construction has continued during this period of tranquility.
Sorry, Belmont arena construction was deemed non-essential:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/constr...o-coronavirus/

In contrast, look at Nevada, where all construction was deemed essential, and work has continued on the Las Vegas Raiders stadium, despite viral cases among the workers:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/ap...llegiant-stad/

There has been (and continues to be) strenuous opposition to the Belmont arena in the surrounding communities. I suspect Cuomo and others did not dare continue construction while the virus was percolating in Floral Park. The optics and publicity would be negative. Hard to judge the economic repercussions should the Belmont arena miss the start of the 2021 hockey season, and related delays in construction of hotel and mall, but I do think it is factor in NYRA's push for fan less Saratoga.

Last edited by drib; 05-18-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #389
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
What did we get wrong?
Opening Belmont was such a no brainer even our "horse race hating" governor got it right. As of right now, Saratoga is still a different calculation. We'll see what the data suggests and how open the economy and track will be as we approach that date. All I'll say is that what's in the best interests of NYRA is not always in the best interests of everyone else involved in the sport in NY. But some people only see one side.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-18-2020 at 09:21 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #390
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
But some people only see one side.
Preach brutha...