Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #31
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick 5 View Post
dude are you really gonna argue that there is no such thing as a dubai bounce...even royal delta lost her first race back from dubai by 5 lengths to funny proposition lol....if you want to argue its overblown maybe thats one thing but to argue that it doesnt exist just isnt reasonable....the main point is that the first race back from dubai they are vulnerable...that doesnt mean they always lose but it does happen alot more than youd think....you are literally talking about races well after their first race back so im not quite sure what you're getting at
Not quite sure what I'm getting at? Perhaps that a VERY long list of horses have come back to North America after going to Dubai and continued to perform at a high level, many of them better than they were before shipping over there. If you want to argue that they have struggled in their first start back, then that's a slightly different issue. But for every Royal Delta, there are plenty of examples to the contrary. Generalizations are often erroneous.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
I'm going to let CJ or PA deal with the part that they dislike but unlike them I'm gonna say that I had the same thought when I saw it. My jaw dropped.
I feel like Frank Constanza trying to hold his tongue when George Steinbrenner is at his house..."what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!"...

It is L-U-K-A-S
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 AM   #33
Man o' War

Totally agree with this except the Seattle Slew and Affirmed part..……California Chrome ran just as well as an Affirmed could run on BC day…one of the best efforts I’ve seen from him. But imagining an Affirmed being put in California Chrome’s shoes and being in the same position in the race which would be very likely, Arrogate would have to pull out another gear apart from the tremendous one he pulled on Chrome. Affirmed is a lot more hard-nosed than Chrome and won’t give it up all that easy as we all know if he has the lead. And Seattle Slew more so…Arrogate has that gear I’d bet, but still needs to show it. And if he keeps breaking track records like he’s doing, I’ll be convinced of his stature and he goes right between Secretariat and Man o’ War as far as I’m concerned….….
What? 7 races and 2 track records already? This is Secretariat territory….superhorses do track records….hear that Cigar fans?
Man o' War is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #34
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos View Post
Meydan’s racetrack configuration (see attachment) should be favorable to Arrogate’s running style because the run to the first turn and the distance around the Meydan’s racetrack turns are quite similar in distance to Saratoga racetrack where he accomplished a record-breaking winning performance in the 1-1/4M (the DWC distance) Travers.

And the long Meydan stretch of nearly 1/4M should allow this ‘Big Monster” to accelerate with his powerful kick in devastating fashion.

However, all this prognostication by me depends upon his adaptability to ship nearly 8,400 miles; and I realize that his last three victories all came after shipping nearly 2,500 miles for each victory.
Are they still running on synthetic over there? I believe they once were, weren't they? If that's the case, could that be an issue?

Edit: Never mind. I see on your schematic it's dirt.

Last edited by ultracapper; 03-24-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: correction
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #35
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man o' War View Post
What? 7 races and 2 track records already? This is Secretariat territory….superhorses do track records….hear that Cigar fans?
It completely sucks that in today's day and age, we don't get to see this horse race more. It's obvious this horse breathes rarefied air at the moment. Juddmonte's goal this year is to win another Breeders' Cup Classic with Arrogate, and then he'll be off to stud. I guess I should be ecstatic he's actually racing as a four-year-old.

I've never been a big fan of the Dubai World Cup for whatever reason, but tomorrow feels different. I can't wait to see this horse run again.

I found an interesting quote from Baffert before the Pegasus. A curious quote, actually, since Baffert has never been shy about running in Dubai:

“We'll give him a little break after the Pegasus as usually we would not run him in the winter,” Baffert said then. “I wouldn't take him to Dubai. We bought him for American racing, and with his pedigree we want him to stay in America.”

He changed his tune after Arrogate won the Pegasus...I would guess Juddmonte influenced his thinking, but interesting nonetheless that he didn't see this race as a fit for Arrogate not too long ago. Perhaps something to keep in mind as Arrogate goes to the gate the 1/3 M/L favorite tomorrow.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-24-2017 at 08:45 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #36
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Where can we watch the race? Anybody clue me in?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #37
Fager Fan
Veteran

TVG always shows it.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #38
MonmouthParkJoe

NBCSN has it from 10:30am to 1:30pm, eastern time zone i believe.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #39
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
It might be a good idea to ask multiple trainers if there is a Dubai bounce. I can't remember the specific horses, but I recall a few years back that didn't do so well when they returned and trainers subsequently saying it was tough on the horse and they needed extra recovery time. That's where the idea came from to begin with. It could easily be that the trip is very draining, but with the experience of going several times trainers have figured out how to make it easier on the horse and how much time they need to recover before running again in the US. So what was once a bit of an issue may no longer be a problem.
I remember a couple of trainers saying that they learned to give the horse a several-week rest BEFORE shipping back to the U.S. I don't know how many follow this but it makes sense to be. If I got run over by a tractor trailer, I would want an immediate hospital rest rather than an immediate 20-hour (or whatever) plane ride.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #40
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
NBCSN has it from 10:30am to 1:30pm, eastern time zone i believe.
Thanks for the info. I'm renting a vacation house at this time that doesn't have TVG. I just checked and it does have NBCSN. Without your post I would have never checked.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #41
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It compl........

I found an interesting quote from Baffert before the Pegasus. A curious quote, actually, since Baffert has never been shy about running in Dubai:

“We'll give him a little break after the Pegasus as usually we would not run him in the winter,” Baffert said then. “I wouldn't take him to Dubai. We bought him for American racing, and with his pedigree we want him to stay in America.”

He changed his tune after Arrogate won the Pegasus...I would guess Juddmonte influenced his thinking, but interesting nonetheless that he didn't see this race as a fit for Arrogate not too long ago. Perhaps something to keep in mind as Arrogate goes to the gate the 1/3 M/L favorite tomorrow.
Well, he is owned by the Saudi Arabian royal family.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #42
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Well, he is owned by the Saudi Arabian royal family.
I know, which made the quote before the Pegasus even more interesting, don't you think? Why would Baffert come out and even hint that the DWC might be off the table for this horse, let alone come right out and say he wouldn't run there?

All I'm saying is if you're looking to beat this horse, now is the time to do so.

Shipping all that way...racing at night...going somewhere his trainer obviously didn't want to go at one point not too long ago.

Some things to ponder here...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-24-2017 at 12:43 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #43
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I know, which made the quote before the Pegasus even more interesting, don't you think? Why would Baffert come out and even hint that the DWC might be off the table for this horse, let alone come right out and say he wouldn't run there?

All I'm saying is if you're looking to beat this horse, now is the time to do so.

Shipping all that way...racing at night...going somewhere his trainer obviously didn't want to go at one point not too long ago.

Some things to ponder here...
Well, can you beat him?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #44
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Well, can you beat him?
They're all beatable. He has to string together quite a few more before I think he's unbeatable by every horse currently racing. Gun Runner has the goods to do it.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #45
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
They're all beatable. He has to string together quite a few more before I think he's unbeatable by every horse currently racing. Gun Runner has the goods to do it.
I originally was thinking that maybe an upset was possible...but upon further consideration I realized absolutely not...who am I kidding....this horse is an absolute machine and is going to roll this field tomorrow.....generational horse
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply