Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #721
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
It would be really helpful in understanding your approach if you indicated results as "dollars out, dollars in." The results above cannot be used directly to determine which bets would have been made and which passed without using the results charts to access the actual odds in each race. It seems that if your objective is to demonstrate how your application determines wagers, that information would be very helpful to include in your results.

I don't know how many people would be willing to cross check selections with the results charts to work out which of the selections would have been wagers, and which would have been passed as having unacceptably low odds. Even though the final odds are not the same as the odds that existed at the time the wagers would have to have been made, as you said before, you use enough of a "fudge factor" to compensate for that deficiency.

Your approach looks really interesting, and it would be great if you could include a running tally of how the selections you post are doing.
If you're really interested in what the payouts are, I always post the screenshots of each race, along with the payouts, on my forum.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #722
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
If you're really interested in what the payouts are, I always post the screenshots of each race, along with the payouts, on my forum.
That seems a bit odd. Why would you not simply post the results (dollars out, dollars in) the same place you post the selections? I understand that one can discover the race results and odds with a bit of digging. The part I don't understand is why you would not simply post that information where you post the selections, rather than the order of finish numbers, which are relatively useless without the other information.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #723
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
That seems a bit odd. Why would you not simply post the results (dollars out, dollars in) the same place you post the selections? I understand that one can discover the race results and odds with a bit of digging. The part I don't understand is why you would not simply post that information where you post the selections, rather than the order of finish numbers, which are relatively useless without the other information.
If you were a Handicapper of expertise in this field you would know the answer to your above post.

Mac

Last edited by bob60566; 07-29-2012 at 09:16 PM.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #724
Itamaraca
Veteran

You start with

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos

The speed and pace figures don't deserve the bad rap that they get...and those who criticize these figures the most don't even know how to interpret them properly.
I call you on it. You're making assumptions that aren't warranted -- unless you know, for a fact, that all figure maker critics don't know how to use them. Now, really, are they that difficult to use?

Then you go here:

Quote:
And I disagree with you.

I don't care what your handicapping approach is...there will be people who are going to criticize it.

Those who criticize speed and pace figures conveniently forget to tell us what their OWN handicapping approach is.

You want to criticize speed and pace figures...fine.

But tell us what your OWN handicapping approach is...so we can see how much more "enlightening" your OWN handicapping methods are.

Don't argue just for the sake of arguing.

It's easy to just be a "critic"...
And here:

Quote:
And another thing...

I never said that I am more enlightened than someone who doesn't use/support speed and pace figures.

Nor have I ever criticized any other handicapping approaches out there.

What a player wants to use is his own personal choice.

But this argument that..."speed and pace figures don't work"...is just ridiculous.

There are negatives about all the handicapping styles out there...
Now, all of this could've been avoided if you hadn't recycled Tom's old argument.

P.S. Can you teach me how to properly interpret figures, Teacher?

I'm FIGURE INTERPRETATION challenged.
Itamaraca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #725
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itamaraca

Go figure.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #726
bob60566
Vancouver Island

The old saying applies here.

You can lead A horse to the water but you cannot make it drink.

Mac
Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #727
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itamaraca

P.S. Can you teach me how to properly interpret figures, Teacher?

Come on now...why the false modesty?

I have been eagerly following your picks over at the selections forum...and I know for a fact that you don't need any handicapping lessons from me...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #728
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566
If you were a Handicapper of expertise in this field you would know the answer to your above post.

Mac
If you had something to say, you would say it.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #729
traynor

Quote:
The old saying applies here.

You can lead A horse to the water but you cannot make it drink.

Mac
Well, that is not quite true. If you wait a bit until the horse is thirsty, the saying doesn't really apply. It would be more appropriate then to say, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink unless yoiu wait until it is thirsty before you lead it to water." Oddly enough, the same thing is true of camels.

The old sayings I have a problem with are those uncritically accepted as "true" while being diametrically opposed, as in:
"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and "Out of sight, out of mind."

Weird stuff people believe.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #730
traynor

Quote:
Are you saying you are full of hot air ???

Mac
Not at all. If you were modestly conversant with the English language, you would realize how foolish that sounds. If English is not your native language, see me after class.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #731
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Not at all. If you were modestly conversant with the English language, you would realize how foolish that sounds. If English is not your native language, see me after class.
You just got led down the garden path Sunshine.

Mac
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #732
traynor

Quote:

Mac
I must apologize for asking what must seem a foolish question. Of course, I know that the reason for NOT posting ROI in proximity to selections is lots and lots of red ink. However, it is not just a rhetorical question. I think it would help build credibility to show the down sides (long losing streaks) as well as the upsides ($53 and such winners) that (hopefully) compensate for those long losing streaks.

Why would anyone care about credibility? I dunno. Seems reasonable to me, especially if they had something to sell.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #733
traynor

Quote:
You just got led down the garden path Sunshine.

Mac
Do you fantasize about your cleverness often, or just when you are in front of a computer staring at the screen?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #734
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Do you fantasize about your cleverness often, or just when you are in front of a computer staring at the screen?
Yes
But you seem to be A jewel from east that seems A lot to be desired,

Mac
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #735
traynor

Quote:
Yes
But you seem to be A jewel from east that seems A lot to be desired,

Mac
I humbly suggest you seek professional counseling. It seems--to a casual observer--that you may have a number of unresolved issues that professional intervention might help you deal with. However, I do not presume to be qualified to offer such an observation, other than as a layman observer of what appears to be aberrant behavior.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: