Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #76
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

There is no substitute for hard work and competition.

Can we agree on that?

It's time to STOP helping our adversaries and let the chips fall where they may.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #77
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
All those quotes and not a mention of or reference to "wealth".

Except of course from the little voices in your head.

And at the danger of repeating myself for the 47th time, there is no connection between trade surplus and creation of wealth. Quite to the contrary, wealth creation is much more likely to take place in a mature, developed economy whose members, like Americans today, enjoy the benefits of trade deficits.
The little voice in my head is just fine and this is what it tells me.

It tells me you don't understand capital. Capital is wealth, if you build capital you are building wealth.

Capital has a number of related meanings in economics, finance and accounting. In finance and accounting, capital generally refers to financial wealth, especially that used to start or maintain a business. In classical economics, capital is one of the three factors of production. The others are land, and labor. https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_(economics) [emphasis added]

Financial capital is the money, credit, and other forms of funding that build wealth. Individuals use it to invest.......

https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-f...apital-3305825
[emphasis added]

If you are using trade surpluses to acquire capital to build, expand and maintain factories, businesses, etc. and the supporting infrastructure, you are building wealth.

If I understand you correctly, you are now saying China can obtain capital (wealth) to build, expand and maintain businesses, etc at its current rate, under large trade deficits with its major trading partners. Thus, China does not need large trade surpluses to maintain its current rate of expansion based on capital investment.

If you are correct about trade, why do you insist China needs trade surpluses at this point in its development? If China needs trade surpluses due to its current situation, by definition, there has to be some positive relationship between trade surpluses and acquiring capital (wealth). If there is a neutral relationship between capital (wealth) China, by definition, does not need trade surpluses.

If trade is neutral why does China insist on maintaining a trade surplus? Again you are invited to address the economic leadership of China. As the expert how would you convince China there is no connection between trade surplus and creation of wealth? Do you think China would believe your theory of no connection and acquiesce to the U.S terms?

I wager China would politely show you the door, because China knows there is not enough local wealth (capital) to build, expand and maintain businesses, etc and supporting infrastructure without a large trade surplus. China understands what you don't understand, there is a relationship between trade and wealth.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 09-07-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #78
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
There is no substitute for hard work and competition.

Can we agree on that?

It's time to STOP helping our adversaries and let the chips fall where they may.
It is way past time for us to stop helping our enemy China build their military, with our piggy bank, so they can project military power throughout the world and challenge us.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 09-07-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #79
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
A really simplistic analogy without relationship to reality. To make it a little more realistic, you would not be "buying a stake in my house", you might be buying shares in a new corporation in which I was the principle owner.

If that new business succeeded, you would be paid dividends and might be able to sell your shares on the market for a profit. If not, you lost your investment. Thanks for playing.
Nonsense.

Get past the bias that is ingrained inside your thinking because you want to believe this is a good arrangement.

When foreigners recycle their trade surplus into US assets they are buying part of the US regardless of whether it's treasuries, stocks, land, real estate, private businesses. Foreigners and foreign corporations are accumulating US assets and in return we are receiving depreciating cloths, electronics etc..

If we do many other productive things, we'll continue to grow (as you would if you made that house deal with me but were still socking away other money from you job). So this could go on for a very going time, but I'd own your house and they own a lot of the US.