Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
mostpost

Obamacare: Even Better Than We Thought.

Here is the latest from the US Bureau of Economic Analysis on the effects of the Affordable Care Act.

For those of you who can't read charts-which seems to be everybody who is a conservative-the chart shows that the cost of premiums went down 0.4% in January while the cost of Medical care went down 0.1%. Quite a different story from the sky is falling tales of huge increases heard here.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
mostpost

The percentage of uninsured dropped to 15.9% in January. That is the lowest since 2008 and a full 2.1% lower than in mid 2013.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
mostpost

Almost 14 million people now have health insurance who would not have had it under the old system. This includes new medicaid recipients, persons under the age of 26 able to remain on their parents policies and exchange signups. BTW the percentage of persons who have signed up on the exchanges and paid their first premium is now over 75%.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
NJ Stinks

As I'm sure everyone will agree, that's fantastic news, Mostpost!

(I'm now running for cover. )
Old 03-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
mostpost

Here is a facebook page that has many Obamacare success stories to counter the fake failure stories being posted here.
https://www.facebook.com/acasuccessstories
Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
As I'm sure everyone will agree, that's fantastic news, Mostpost!

(I'm now running for cover. )
Yes, I'm delighted to be paying for the healthcare of everybody and his brother. As you know, ObamaCare will become an entrenched welfare program. It will never be repealed. I know that delights you. Me, not so much.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Good think we hare having a blizzard today - I already had my boots on when I got to this thread!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Yes, I'm delighted to be paying for the healthcare of everybody and his brother. As you know, ObamaCare will become an entrenched welfare program. It will never be repealed. I know that delights you. Me, not so much.
Sorry you feel that way, Mike. I don't think I'm crazy because I feel a sense of pride and patriotism knowing my fellow citizens won't go bankrupt trying to pay for decent medical care.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way, Mike. I don't think I'm crazy because I feel a sense of pride and patriotism knowing my fellow citizens won't go bankrupt trying to pay for decent medical care.
Ahh, the study that Elizabeth Warren loves to talk about. Look at the study. The question (impact of hc costs on bankruptcy) was very, very broad. But let's assume millions of people file bankruptcy every year b/c of healthcare costs. Couldn't we have addressed that through catastrophic policies? Aren't those the same policies that ObamaCare (at one point) canceled (calling the coverage inadequate)?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
Clocker

Anyone know how to reformat this train wreck to make it viewable?

Or is it not worth the effort?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Ahh, the study that Elizabeth Warren loves to talk about. Look at the study. The question (impact of hc costs on bankruptcy) was very, very broad. But let's assume millions of people file bankruptcy every year b/c of healthcare costs. Couldn't we have addressed that through catastrophic policies? Aren't those the same policies that ObamaCare (at one point) canceled (calling the coverage inadequate)?
I have no idea what was in the policies Obamacare claims were inadequate. I assume there was no adequate catastrophic limits in those policies. As for the study relating to Warren, I am not aware of that study. Or what Warren has said about it.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Anyone know how to reformat this train wreck to make it viewable?

Or is it not worth the effort?
Clocker, in your case it's certainly not worth the effort.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
I have no idea what was in the policies Obamacare claims were inadequate. I assume there was no adequate catastrophic limits in those policies. As for the study relating to Warren, I am not aware of that study. Or what Warren has said about it.
I inferred, incorrectly, from your post you were referring to the study Warren likes to talk about.

No, Obama was opposed to offering catastrophic policies (whether the coverage was limited or unlimited). I understand his thinking on the matter, but just disagree with him.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
mostpost

Quote:
And just what do you think you have been doing for these past many years?
What were these newly insured Obamacare customers doing when they had no insurance? They were going to the emergency room and they were not paying.

Those hospitals did not treat them out of the goodness of their hearts. They passed the costs on in the form of higher prices for those who had insurance and could afford to pay. When the insurance companies got the higher bills, they passed on the costs in the form of higher premiums.

There were other costs to those people being without health insurance for whatever reason. When they got sick, they did not go to the doctor because they could not afford it. So they passed their illnesses on to others. Perhaps a mild illness morphed into something much more serious requiring expensive treatment protocols.

Under the new system people can get treatment before an illness has progressed to far. A person can get a flu shot before he even gets the flu much less before it turns into pneumonia. And these people are now paying premiums whereas before they were paying nothing.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
And just what do you think you have been doing for these past many years?
What were these newly insured Obamacare customers doing when they had no insurance? They were going to the emergency room and they were not paying.

Those hospitals did not treat them out of the goodness of their hearts. They passed the costs on in the form of higher prices for those who had insurance and could afford to pay. When the insurance companies got the higher bills, they passed on the costs in the form of higher premiums.

I understand the subsidization issue, and I understand why the hospital lobby supported ObamaCare (despite the related Medicare cuts). But I'm just opposed to another entitlement program. I know you disagree.
Closed Thread