Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Now we are moving the goalposts again... were already pretty far from where we started with everyone's misunderstanding on what Israel is really saying but whatever...

Iran was owed money. Lots of it. Many of their assets were frozen globally. If someone steals money from you it's only logical you want it back. We can delve into the assets or some of the cash shipments to Iran... I don't care and can discuss either with you... but nobody "paid" Iran.

Finally, if we want to discuss the actual specifics of the Iran Deal we can. I'm on record saying it wasn't great and I wouldn't have done it. At the time I said it was a deal for the sake of a deal not really good or bad. Hindsight being what it is though and Iran complying it appears to be working.
So..America was in debt to Iran? And freezing assets is stealing? Are you suggesting that Iran, now a known liar and a supporter of terrorism, didn't deserve to have those sanctions placed upon them?

I have a different take: Iran can add to their list of high crimes and misdemeanors extortion. Obama allowed the U.S. to be extorted out of nearly 2 billion big ones.

Did any of the other signatories to the Iran deal pay extortion money to Iran?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Okay...so Obama knew Tehran lied and paid Iran to stay out of the nuke development biz? He paid proven liars!? He paid known supporters of terrorists? He paid them so that Tehran would supposedly accept "limits" to its nuclear program? That money Obama paid them is going to make the head honchos in Iran honest?

OH NO, he did not PAY them, just returning THEIR money with penalty and interest ... (saving mostpost their post)
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #33
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
So..America was in debt to Iran? And freezing assets is stealing? Are you suggesting that Iran, now a known liar and a supporter of terrorism, didn't deserve to have those sanctions placed upon them?

I have a different take: Iran can add to their list of high crimes and misdemeanors extortion. Obama allowed the U.S. to be extorted out of nearly 2 billion big ones.

Did any of the other signatories to the Iran deal pay extortion money to Iran?
No. Didn't say that.

If you put your money in the bank and then the bank said thanks but we're just gonna keep that what would you call it?

Never said that either. They were leverage, bargaining chips, to get them to abandon their Nuclear Weapons Program.

The $2 billion you are referring to was repayment for Iranian purchases from the US they never received. Furthermore Iran had hundreds of billions that were frozen. If you're hung up over $2 billion cash I don't really know what to tell you... it was so meaningless in terms of the real numbers negotiated in the deal anyone who gets hung up on it is frankly looking for something to get hung up on. There are way worse parts of the deal anyway but that would require actually reading it.

A quick Google search revealed the French paid off a legal claim in 1991 over funds owed to the Shahs government... ironically for uranium enrichment. I can provide it if you'd like.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-03-2018 at 09:02 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #34
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Iran STOLE US citizens and held them captive.
They not only did NOT deserve ANY of that money, they deserved a freaking nuke right on that POS Ayatolla's home.

You deal with terrorists by KILLING them.
No other way.
We won WWII because we had the stomach to totally reign death on the enemy, even their civilians. Total war.

We need to get out balls back.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #35
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Iran STOLE US citizens and held them captive.
They not only did NOT deserve ANY of that money, they deserved a freaking nuke right on that POS Ayatolla's home.

You deal with terrorists by KILLING them.
No other way.
We won WWII because we had the stomach to totally reign death on the enemy, even their civilians. Total war.

We need to get out balls back.
I'm sure if a North Korean deal is reached we won't give them anything Tom...
Old 05-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #36
chrisl

Quote:
No. Didn't say that.

If you put your money in the bank and then the bank said thanks but we're just gonna keep that what would you call it?

Never said that either. They were leverage, bargaining chips, to get them to abandon their Nuclear Weapons Program.

The $2 billion you are referring to was repayment for Iranian purchases from the US they never received. Furthermore Iran had hundreds of billions that were frozen. If you're hung up over $2 billion cash I don't really know what to tell you... it was so meaningless in terms of the real numbers negotiated in the deal anyone who gets hung up on it is frankly looking for something to get hung up on. There are way worse parts of the deal anyway but that would require actually reading it.

A quick Google search revealed the French paid off a legal claim in 1991 over funds owed to the Shahs government... ironically for uranium enrichment. I can provide it if you'd like.

You are so knowledgeable about this. and concerning. Move over their, and help their plight. A good cause, is a good cause, in a motivated persons mind. Just do it.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #37
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
You are so knowledgeable about this. and concerning. Move over their, and help their plight. A good cause, is a good cause, in a motivated persons mind. Just do it.
Unlike the OP I'm not trying to form a cause out of anything I'm posting.

I'm merely posting what has happened and I think I'm the only one leaving partisanship out of it...

Since we are talking about people giving money to Iran maybe this is why Bibi was so fired up on Monday...

REPORT: SWISS COURT ORDERS ISRAEL TO PAY IRAN $1B FOR OVER SHAH ERA OIL DEAL
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #38
mrhorseplayer

Iran committed an act of war on the USA by holding are navy hostage its time we drop the hammer on those pos.
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #39
OntheRail

Quote:
I'm sure if a North Korean deal is reached we won't give them anything Tom...
If we do... I'm sure it won't be upfront in the middle of the night in unmarked untraceable pallets of cash.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #40
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
Iran committed an act of war on the USA by holding are navy hostage its time we drop the hammer on those pos.
I agree with you, but that did not occur on President Donald J Trumps watch. January 12, 2016 is the date of that act of war, and should be part of a review the next time they make a threat to the United States. I certainly believe the President is considering that act right now in deciding Iran's future next week.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #41
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
If we do... I'm sure it won't be upfront in the middle of the night in unmarked untraceable pallets of cash.
<shrug>

Now the issue is how we payed them. I guess we could have waited and wired them the money... I don't see how it really matters.

As for the upfront part... I wouldn't have done it. The agreement was settled prior to the inking of the deal but I would have waited for some compliance. In the end what does it matter now though if they are complying with agreed to terms?

Again we are way off the reservation now of the OP and Israel's comments.

Bibis big speech was a nothing burger trying to convince those who already hated the deal without understanding it and @therealdonaldtrump.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-04-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #42
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
<shrug>

Now the issue is how we payed them. I guess we could have waited and wired them the money... I don't see how it really matters.

As for the upfront part... I wouldn't have done it. The agreement was settled prior to the inking of the deal but I would have waited for some compliance. In the end what does it matter now though if they are complying with agreed to terms?

Again we are way off the reservation now of the OP and Israel's comments.

Bibis big speech was a nothing burger trying to convince those who already hated the deal without understanding it and @therealdonaldtrump.

Are you anti American? Your posts sure indicate you like europe and iran better then the USA.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #43
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I agree with you, but that did not occur on President Donald J Trumps watch. January 12, 2016 is the date of that act of war, and should be part of a review the next time they make a threat to the United States. I certainly believe the President is considering that act right now in deciding Iran's future next week.

lets hope the current President does something to iran for doing that on Jan 12 2016 even if it does start an all out war it wont be Presidents Trumps fault it will be irans act of war on the USA that starts/started it and it will be any other country that joins iran(persia) fault.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #44
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Are you anti American? Your posts sure indicate you like europe and iran better then the USA.
LOL...

There is a reason I rarely respond to you... This would be one of those reasons.

I like Iran not building nukes do you not?

You seem really hung up on a boating issue that resulted in zero harm to anyone. Apparently you just want to complete the middle east trifecta and add Iran to the "countries invaded list."

Again we are way off the reservation here. You want to go to war over US ships in Iranian territorial waters being held and then released within 15 hours... I'd rather not.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-04-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #45
hcap

Quote:
Ever hear of Joe McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee?

When will you tell anyone who disagrees with you to move to Iran or Europe, or etc. etc.?

Last edited by hcap; 05-04-2018 at 10:09 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply