Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
exactatom

Rick Pitino Oaks

Something that jumped out me Friday was that the new University of Louisville coach was asked to make the rider's up call for the Oaks.

I think this was a case of Churchill Downs not considering all of the facts.

1. Rick Pitino, the old U of L coach was a co owner of the #2 horse. I found it in extreme poor taste to have a race participant's replacement make the call.

2. Like him or not, Pitino has been a great ambassador for the sport. He gives the sport visibility, served as an ambassador for past Derbies, etc.

I just think Churchill could have had the coach call the riders up Saturday instead of the Oaks.

I just viewed this as a slap in the face to a guy who has been involved in not only the sport, but prior Derbies for years.
exactatom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
SG4

Considering Pitino said he won't step foot in Louisville until certain people are out at the university, this is quite an ugly public spat being taken to the next level by CD apparently too. There was a pretty expensive 3yo this year named Pitino as well who hasn't panned out so far, now getting him into the Derby would've been some sweet revenge.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
PointGiven

The part I found tacky was Mike Tirco dredging up firing, Fbi investigation. You can take them out of ESPN, but you can't take ESPN out of them.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
exactatom

I was not aware of Tirico's comments as much like any thing involving him, I switch the set on mute.

Thank you for the information.
exactatom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Valuist

I have no sympathy for Pitino. If you're gonna play dirty, live with the consequences.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The last thing I'd be concerned about is hurting Rick Pitino's feelings. Advertising his affiliation with the sport was never really a good thing in my opinion.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
PointGiven

I wasn't concerned about his feelings, could not care less.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply