Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 04-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
hyipro

WHAT TO DO ??? IDEAS THOUGHTS ETC.

A word about Windows 7 seems appropriate here. You may have read articles in the tech press that Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 in January 2020. If you're running a computer with Windows 7, that does not mean that it will stop working next January 14th. Nor will you be forced to upgrade to Windows 10 at that point. It does mean that you will no longer receive Windows updates for security issues that arise after that date. Probably. Microsoft has extended these "end of support" dates in the past, but there's no guarantee they will do so. When the end of support for Windows 7 does arrive, you'll need to decide of you want to stick with a 10-year-old operating system, or move to Windows 10, which is arguably more secure. If, between now and then, you end up retiring your old computer and purchasing new, your choice will be made for you.
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'm still using XP with no problems.
However, a lot of websites are not allowing XP any more, so I am forced to upgrade to W10 - I have a laptop I bought used, but before the first major upgrade, so I will have figure how to get it up to date. Not looking forward to the experience!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'm still using XP with no problems.
However, a lot of websites are not allowing XP any more, so I am forced to upgrade to W10 - I have a laptop I bought used, but before the first major upgrade, so I will have figure how to get it up to date. Not looking forward to the experience!
If you decide you don't like the W10 UI, you can get a little freeware program called Classic Start. Makes it look just like old versions of Windows.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
MacTavish

How to get a free Windows 10 upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/...ndows-8-1.aspx

Having just gone through this exercise several times, let me recommend the above article. If you have a licensed copy of Windows 7 or 8.1, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free with an "in-place upgrade". Basically, you start up Windows 7 or 8.1 and put your Windows 10 installation disk in the CD drive and it upgrades from "inside" Windows 7. It saves your data files and your programs which takes away so much of the pain of upgrading.

There are some older computers that won't run Windows 10, like my old IBM ThinkPad. I also had a video card in an old desktop that Windows 10 would not support, so I had to upgrade to a newer card. One of the good features about Windows 10 though is that it will alert you to these problems early in the process so you don't waste half a day for nothing.

If you don't like the Windows 10 interface with the tiles and the lengthy alphabetical list of programs (and I don't), try Class Shell which makes it look like Windows 7.

http://www.classicshell.net/
MacTavish is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
If you decide you don't like the W10 UI, you can get a little freeware program called Classic Start. Makes it look just like old versions of Windows.
The big issue with Win10 is that it will not run 16-bit software like Win7-32 will.

That means that a whole bunch of older handicapping software will not run and there is no work around.

(My software is fine as it compiles into 32-bit.)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
The big issue with Win10 is that it will not run 16-bit software like Win7-32 will.

That means that a whole bunch of older handicapping software will not run and there is no work around.

I still have win 7-32bit but is this article not accurate regarding win10-32bit?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/ena...rt-windows-10/

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 04-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
Light
Veteran

I have an old Dos handicapping program that cannot run on Win10. So I installed a virtual machine that opens up a windows XP environment with the Dos prompt within W10. I'm using VMware Workstation but there are many options out there.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
MacTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post

If your computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 will detect it and install a 32-bit version of Windows 10, which takes care of the old 16-bit program problem. (While I am not a big fan of Microsoft, I'll concede that Windows 10 is a good operating system.)
MacTavish is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
jeebus1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTavish View Post
If your computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 will detect it and install a 32-bit version of Windows 10, which takes care of the old 16-bit program problem. (While I am not a big fan of Microsoft, I'll concede that Windows 10 is a good operating system.)
You can also download VMWare or Virtualbox and if you have an ISO image of XP 32-bit, install XP to the virtual client. That takes care of the 16-bit software issue. Just make sure that your computer has sufficient memory to handle running the virtual environment and your native OS. 8GB RAMs should suffice, but 16GB is optimal.
jeebus1083 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

Even if you update to higher levels of Windows, you can still run XP in a virtual machine
Old 01-15-2020, 05:49 AM   #11
Joseph B. Owen

Now,i have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7,and although I know Windows 7 will still work, Microsoft doesn't support it, which means future Windows 7 will be vulnerable to viruses.
Joseph B. Owen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #12
Sparky13

I still have Windows 7 on my PC. Yesterday, 1/15/2020, when I started my PC, I got the warning that Windows would no longer support Windows 7 after 1/14/2020 with any upgrades. When I signed off my PC, Windows upgraded my PC 3 times. And this morning 1/16/2020, the upgrades were placed on my PC. Whoops, Windows.
Sparky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky13 View Post
I still have Windows 7 on my PC. Yesterday, 1/15/2020, when I started my PC, I got the warning that Windows would no longer support Windows 7 after 1/14/2020 with any upgrades. When I signed off my PC, Windows upgraded my PC 3 times. And this morning 1/16/2020, the upgrades were placed on my PC. Whoops, Windows.

What they mean is that MS will not produce any new upgrades.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
headhawg
crusty old guy

Here's the Win7 poop from a guy who knows what he's talking about: Windows 7 EoL info
Old 01-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Here's the Win7 poop from a guy who knows what he's talking about: Windows 7 EoL info
That was an awesome link, HeadHawg.