Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Inner Dirt

Mayweather-McGregor Aug 26th

My curiosity lies in who would shell out to watch this joke of a fight for $89.95? I would not pay $5 to watch. First, MMA fighter or not McGregor is making his pro boxing debut against a 49-0 champion, not some club fighter who losses half his fights that most guys meet in their first fight. You can't even give McGregor a punchers chance as Mayweather is as good at not getting hit hard as anyone in the history of boxing. Mayweather is also the master of dragging the fight out for the distance and winning unanimous decisions. Train all you want McGregor has never been in a live fight that will last as long as this one.

Obviously with a PPV price of a sky high $89.95 a lot of viewers are expected. I also noticed they are hyping this fight WWE style which is pathetic in it's own right. So who is coughing up $89.95? Young MMA fans that don't know their guy will probably get embarrassed? Could there be a lot of people who can't stand Mayweather they will pay any amount for a slim chance to watch him lose? I don't get the hype and how this fight can demand the price. I might not even tune in if it was on ABC and free.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
Greyfox

Years ago I used to absolutely love the fight game.
I even boxed briefly as a youth, but I wasn't very good at it.
Over the years considerable research has been done on Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), degenerative disease from repeated blows to the head.
Today I wouldn't cross the street to see a sport which has as it's main objective to bash another person's brains in.
I can understand and accept why others want to watch boxing and MMA.
But I won't watch that stuff any more.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
jimmyb

A club fight or early Golden Gloves rounds would provide more entertainment value than this charade.

Mayweather will Carry the Tomato Can for a bit, embarrasing him the entire way.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #4
thaskalos

The boxing "aficionados" may be ridiculing this "fight"...but the two fighters are laughing all the way to the bank. As usual...the joke is on the paying fan.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
RunForTheRoses

I agree with ID, who the heck would pay for this fight? CM should have no chance (in an MMA fight FM would have no chance, maybe they will have that as another bogus fight 2). I have a feeling PPV buys will be off but you never know.

CM's trash talk is a bore. FM's lack of financial responsibility and his apparently needing this fight to pay off the IRS is a joke.

Mixed style fights were better in the 70s (bet Ali's legs wish he didn't take the fight).

RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
proximity

Floyd Mayweather seems like nice boring overlay to me.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
woodtoo

I once paid good money to watch Michael Spinks get destroyed in seconds,
never complained.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I don't think I've ever paid for a PPV fight in my life, and now you can find any of them for free streaming on the net if you want to see them. I wouldn't pay a nickel for this one.

I may actually pay for GGG and Canelo a month later. That is a fight worth seeing in my opinion.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
I once paid good money to watch Michael Spinks get destroyed in seconds,
never complained.
I split the tab and drove 90 miles to a friend's house to watch that. Both were undefeated champions with 30+ fights each. You can can hardly compare that fight to a guy with an 0-0 boxing record fighting a guy 49-0. Many at the time thought Spinks could stay out of trouble and stretch the fight into the late rounds where Tyson had never been before. A lot of the experts gave Spinks a chance to make a good account of himself and possibly win. Find an expert on the planet that gives McGregor a chance, there isn't one.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #10
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I don't think I've ever paid for a PPV fight in my life, and now you can find any of them for free streaming on the net if you want to see them. I wouldn't pay a nickel for this one.

I may actually pay for GGG and Canelo a month later. That is a fight worth seeing in my opinion.
That fight is must see all the way.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #11
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
My curiosity lies in who would shell out to watch this joke of a fight for $89.95? I would not pay $5 to watch. First, MMA fighter or not McGregor is making his pro boxing debut against a 49-0 champion, not some club fighter who losses half his fights that most guys meet in their first fight. You can't even give McGregor a punchers chance as Mayweather is as good at not getting hit hard as anyone in the history of boxing. Mayweather is also the master of dragging the fight out for the distance and winning unanimous decisions. Train all you want McGregor has never been in a live fight that will last as long as this one.

Obviously with a PPV price of a sky high $89.95 a lot of viewers are expected. I also noticed they are hyping this fight WWE style which is pathetic in it's own right. So who is coughing up $89.95? Young MMA fans that don't know their guy will probably get embarrassed? Could there be a lot of people who can't stand Mayweather they will pay any amount for a slim chance to watch him lose? I don't get the hype and how this fight can demand the price. I might not even tune in if it was on ABC and free.
I am pretty sure that I heard the cost is $89.95. That adds another $10 to your curiosity. Even if Mayweather has slowed down at age 40, McGregor is not the guy who is going to exploit it. McGregor is a good striker (not boxer) for an MMA fighter.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #12
jimmyb

If this sparring video is any indication of his boxing skills, he's in for a very short evening.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...oyd-mayweather
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #13
menifee

Isn't this the equivalent of the best harness horse taking on the best thoroughbred? McGregor has no chance - they are two completely different sports.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
MutuelClerk

They should charge for the press conferences and make the fight free.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply