Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Ax Man

Baffert firster looked awesome today winning by 9.5 lengths. I watched his workout on December 27th when he worked with McKinzie. He would side by side but the gallop out by McKinzie was impressive.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Baffert firster looked awesome today winning by 9.5 lengths. I watched his workout on December 27th when he worked with McKinzie. He would side by side but the gallop out by McKinzie was impressive.
Kind of an odd maiden race with the disparate restrictions.

At its extreme, such a race could prove lopsided when 7-figure caliber bluebloods run against horses priced at less than $100K.

Sure enough, the homebred 1/2 brother to a champion and BC winner romped home easily. Practically a training race or well orchestrated public workout.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Kind of an odd maiden race with the disparate restrictions.

At its extreme, such a race could prove lopsided when 7-figure caliber bluebloods run against horses priced at less than $100K.

Sure enough, the homebred 1/2 brother to a champion and BC winner romped home easily. Practically a training race or well orchestrated public workout.
Who is its half-brother?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Who is its half-brother?
Ax Man is a half to Indian Blessing (2 Eclipses, 1 BC race, nearly $3 million) among other talented if fragile Baffert-trained runners.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Only fitting that Baffert would win the first race that was supposed to help the little guys.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
ultracapper

At least it wasn't Pegram or Kaleem Shah. I'm sure Earnhardt ain't a "little guy" to the rest of us, but he's at best number 4 or 5 in the Baffert barn.

Still a pretty good neighborhood.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
outofthebox

See that Baffert has now picked up some Godolphin runners. 3yo filly Enboldened making her debut thursday 2nd race. Never going to stop for Baffert. As for Axman, that was some debut....
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Only fitting that Baffert would win the first race that was supposed to help the little guys.
Retooling the 3yo maiden ranks to produce more lopsided victories is consistent with the illogical graded stakes schedule at Santa Anita that often showcases but a single prospect (not even an established horse) in a 4 or 5 horse field.

Last year at this meet it was so ludicrous that the maiden special weights proved stronger than the graded stakes, as evidenced by Irap, who could place in multiple graded stakes, but failed to hit the board in his maiden special weight starts.

Next weekends Sham Stakes promises to be more of the same.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
GMB@BP

Quote:
holy cow thats funny...and quite intentional I would imagine
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
holy cow thats funny...and quite intentional I would imagine
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Bob tends to hold these cards close...there was no indication other than a $2500 stallion fee and really good works to go off of here...Usually, there is more of a higher price sire or high sale price associated with these talented firsters.

Since I didn't see those, I sided with Shanghai Billy who looked really good on the track, and under performed in my opinion (I boxed the 2 horses in vertical exotics)...sometimes I think that this is what barns tend to do...they know that they are not going to run down Ax Man today, so they get a fast work in, throw the placing, and hide form for next time...you have to really get into the barns to know what's hiding there...not easy to do.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...t-sa-on-1-1-18

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It was impressive in any case. I gave him a 117 TimeformUS Speed Figure, Beyer looks to be 97 or 98.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Ax Man is a half to Indian Blessing (2 Eclipses, 1 BC race, nearly $3 million) among other talented if fragile Baffert-trained runners.
That's shocking. How does Baffert get these owners of good mares to go to stallions he has an interest in? No way would I send a mare of that caliber to a $2,500 California stallion.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 01-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
It was impressive in any case. I gave him a 117 TimeformUS Speed Figure, Beyer looks to be 97 or 98.
Reminded me a little of Arrogate's break out race...Horse has interesting connections too... Owners, Patti and Hal Earnhardt III.

http://www.losalamitos.com/ProfilePage.aspx?ID=159

http://www.hillndalefarms.com/misremembered

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.p...&pedloggedin=0

Derby Prospect...?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-02-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Misremembered is listed as a Sire at Hill 'n Dale in Kentucky...

http://www.hillndalefarms.com/misrem...ormation.shtml

Regarding Race 6, Jan 1 SA: (This Race is Restricted to Homebreds and Horses Sold at Public Auction for $100,000 or Less).

Dam Shameful must be a California based Broodmare...How does one research the progeny records of Broodmares and where they are currently standing...?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-02-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: